The Welcome Gareth Bale Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Horsehead, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What do you think about Gareth Bale coming to Real Madrid?

1. I have a large erection

37.3%
  2. I'm happy but not sure how he'll fit in

17.1%
  3. Meh Meh Meh

12.0%
  4. I dunno, not sure he's worth it

17.7%
  5. WTF are we doing? Grrrrr.

15.8%
  1. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i can't imagine that isco will be just one real AM in the team, if ozil will leave..ffs

2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    OK I've thought it over, and selling Ozil for 45 mios actually makes sense from a business perspective, and a hardheaded footballing perspective too.

We have a coach who has to stick two hybrid wing-forwards somewhere on a team when he prefers attacking midfielders there. We have an attacking midfielder in Isco who is performing to a very high level in the one attacking midfield spot left, we have Kaka who isn't moving, and even if Kaka is moving, Ozil's value will only decrease if he sits on the bench and we have to sell him next season.

I should have seen it when we signed Isco. I'm a fan so I don't like it, but I get it. It concerns me more than even the Higuain situation, but it's the same reasoning. Two starters in one spot doesn't go.

saadomar, libertao and ambro repped this.
  3. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Well I hope Ancelotti stays more than a season or two :D

Aimar 21 and Umar repped this.
  4. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So we have to sell a better player than the one we bought with Cristiano money because our President wanted a shiny new toy?

5. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure Ozil is a better player than Bale, overall. But i get your point.

Although, if he wasn't happy, the right thing is to sell him.

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Ozil is the best in the world behind a striker, his movement and vision in that position is unmatched imo. He's a good but not brilliant player off the flanks, brilliant in spurts but inconsistent. Bale on the other hand isn't quite as artistic as Ozil in the #10 position but is dangerous in any forward position (and he's €100 mios to boot). Ancelotti's system isn't geared specifically to either Bale or Ozil, but I'd bet that Bale adapts to it better.

Add to that the other contract and money issues, and I see the club's thinking. I'd still rather sell Di Maria (I wouldn't sell Ozil irrespective of any offers if I were coaching the team), but the directors can't take into account their personal preferences but the needs of the football club as a whole. I guess if it's Ozil for 45 mios or Di Maria for around 30, Ozil out makes sense.

The first question to Ancelotti tomorrow should be "How does Bale fit in to your vision for this team?" The answer should show whether he still sees a need for Ozil. Personally, I still don't see a clear system in this team yet, just a bunch of players passing it for a bit and looking for a chip in behind the defensive line.

7. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ozil will work in Ancelotti system, but that means that Isco will see the bench. At the moment I would have to say Ozil is better than Isco as an attacking midfielder.

8. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was waiting so long for this day to come when we sign Bale, and now that its here, my excitement has gone down so much with these ozil rumors. Just hoping things dont shake up too much in the next 24 hours and then ill start celebrating seeing a Ronaldo Bale duo on the pitch.

Aimar 21 repped this.
  9. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Isco plays the CM position, and not AM. It's withdrawn position and often goes back deep to help defend, since we only have 3 midfielders on the pitch. Are you saying that Mesut can do that?

10. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Yes Mesut can do that are we going to act like he hasn't before or that Isco had anything that even begins to resemble the defensive workrate he has shown before coming to Madrid?

11. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We will have to try Ozil in Isco's role... He is bigger than Isco, so that might help him defend in terms of aerial ability, and strength. He would have to improve his stamina though. From an attacking and team chemistry perspective I think Ozil will definitely have the upper hand.

12. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Transfer fees aside, the guy is a fantastic player. I know a lot of people are laughing at the 100 mil price but I believe he will be worth it. Same like Ronaldo. Bale doesn't throw too many tantrums so the only ego Carlo would have to manage is Ronaldo's. Your answer to Messi and Neymar. Lets see who wins. Best of luck.

13. nassar_7

nassar_7 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Pakistan
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    guys if ozil stays. we can play 4 2 3 1. this way. isco has shown in the pre season and the first three games that he can play cm and can cover defensively as well. so with modric holding as a deep lying playmaker. isco as a centre midfielder also helping modric in defence as well when we lose the ball. we can give this a definite try.

lopez

dani----- pepe------ ramos------marcelo

-----------modric--------isco

bale----------ozil-----------ronaldo

-------------benz-----------

what do u guys say ?

14. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    Based on what........ I don't want Mesut to leave as much as the next person, but let's not get delusional.

15. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I have been saying this for months. He can and he has had the same defensive responsibilities under Mourinho.

16. Saint Iker

Saint Iker Ronaldo's Right Foot

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Has Mesut been tried in Isco's position at all or for any reasonable amount of time?

17. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  18. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Did anyone keep the receipt

19. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Are you serious? Go look at the last couple of Clasicos to start, his defensive workrate has improved 100% since he got here and i was one of the main posters criticizing his lack of fitness and workrate his first season here. Mourinho, credit to him, is responsible for cultivating that skill both in Mesut and Angel.

20. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think I've ever felt this saddened over a transfer in my life, but, what's done is done.

21. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    Come on, come on... Different position, different responsibilities. Being the attacking midfielder flanked by two wide players(one of them being industrious Angel Di Maria) and two defensive midfielders behind you who do all the grunt work is far different than being one of two CM alongside a defensive midfielder with nothing between you and the defense. Mesut has never played that position or demonstrated that he has what it take up such a role. His workrate now is somewhat adequet for the position he used played, but not the one Isco currently plays.

What's currently happening sucks, but lets refrain from rewriting history.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  22. Ananas

Ananas Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well well, what's going on in this thread? Why are some of you so sad about possible Ozil departure? Your memories seem to be pretty short my friends, did you forget all the nice things some (read most) of you said about Iker? that a better player came and he should stay on the bench, that he needs to leave, that being an icon or having a decade of amazing goal-keeping doesn't guarantee your spot in the first team? Same goes for Ozil. awwww why so sad all of a sudden then? :rolleyes:

23. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    That is the thing. It's not the same defensive responsibilities. Mesut under Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 formation had; Xabi Alonso and Khedira doing all the heavy lifting while he has had Di Maria on the side and Ronaldo occasionally helping. That is far different than being one of the 3 midfielders in a 4-3-3. For one you do not have two defensive midfielders to do all the heavy lifting nor do you have two wide players next to you to help all that much. You along with the two others are all there is between the opposition and your defense. That is a far great responsibility, and not one Mesut has shown he has what it takes.

Forester and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  24. rhexis07

rhexis07 Member+

Jan 24, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    such mixed feelings. I hope we keep Ozil.....I was thinking of getting an Ozil/Ronaldo jersey for myself and my girlfriend. Nonetheless, hope Bale works out because if it does, we'll definitely be seeing something special.

25. Saint Iker

Saint Iker Ronaldo's Right Foot

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But Carlo has never tried him at that position so it's a bit unfair to say that he can't perform there when it's never been attempted.