The Wayne Rooney Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is true. While he did leave with Rooney head stamped with a shipping label, it was in a way cowardly to just leave things to the next guy. It is possible, though, that Moyes convinced him to allow himself to make the decision on Rooney. But Ferguson could have gotten his balls off and done it himself.

2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Anyone care to make a list of players United could've signed (or kept...*cough*Pogba*cough) that would've been stars at the club by now, allowing them to sell Rooney and not worry too much about a commercial hit?

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    some of them have him as our player of the season and the only one who can hold his head high this season =|

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    to answer drae's question, i think in lvg's system rooney would play in a trident to the left of right of rvp just fine. lvg doesn't use wingers as much as 3 forwards, really.

there's a notion that united must cater to rooney for him to be successful but he had one his best seasons for me (even if the numbers weren't as great) when he was working with tevez and ronaldo in a more subdued role.

i feel like a lot of posters want him gone for emotional reasons - that's ok too, i guess.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In Tevez' time at the club, Rooney was our third best attacker behind Ronaldo and Tevez. If that's the level you want from a 300k per week player then yeah, we can shunt him to the wing.

I want Rooney gone because he has an ever worsening first touch. I want him gone because he makes worse decisions than Nani. I want him gone because he's far too expensive. I want him gone because he's a square peg. I want him gone because at his best position, RvP is better right now and Welbeck will be (overall play not just goals) in the future. I want him gone because if we keep him, we'll be sacrificing younger better players. I want him gone because we can play better football without him. But mostly, I want him gone because he stopped caring about the club and I hate the sight of him.

omar_mufc, Nathan18, canandaigua and 2 others repped this.
  6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If it wasn't for Amdrag I might feel differently towards Rooney.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Those 3 forwards are usually pacy attackers. Good dribblers. Wayne Rooney is not.

This again another situation. Just fitting Rooney in. Another square peg, round hole situation, which is just as ineffective as him playing behind the main striker.

This is why I hope LvG is a contender. I know he'd rather buy a player who actually plays the role naturally and well. Then force Rooney into the team.

I dont get how you can feel this, despite being told over and over again, its a tactical thing or the fact that we dont think he's as good as you think.

Some yeah, they feel he focked the club. But there's a lot more who believe he's holding us back tactically. Its been repeated. This is the same headache SAF's dealt with since Ronaldo proved he was worth building a team around.

jeff070 repped this.
  8. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    "But mostly, I want him gone because he stopped caring about the club and I hate the sight of him." that was johno's response and i think that's the sentiment shared by a lot of posters who don't rate rooney. the intense focus on his shortcomings and the downplaying of his accomplishments on this board is anything but rational. look at a match thread whenever he scores or assists a goal: silence or snark. on the other hand, people lose their minds when he doesn't play well.

which is fine, i don't care about him either way - i'll follow united whether he retires here or is shipped out tomorrow. but it has to be acknowledged when assessing his performance. and yes, i truly believe that he's a good player and that we're a better team when he is on the pitch. at this point, we'll just have to to park this particular topic i guess.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Johno is one man. I can quote 10 post that state that its not an emotional hate.

What are Rooney's Individial accomplishments exactly?

10. googoo

googoo Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just show the ********er the door already.

benni... repped this.
  11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The reason anyone who understands a bit of football and supports United would want Rooney gone is that he is a poor player when played at any position which is not #9. And he doesn't want to play at 9.

12. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Well if you're going to flat out make stuff up, there is nothing to discuss. Lulz omgz roflz

13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Better than digging your head in the sand and being oblivious which you are a master at.

googoo repped this.
  14. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have changed my mind on Rooney compared to 2-3 years ago. 3 years ago he was overpaid, had flaws, but was only 25 and still had reasonable pace, and of course the star factor. There was a tradeoff there, to be sure, but overall it seemed worth it.

Now his contract is just terrible. He is outrageously overpaid, and the duration is insane, making him a weight around the clubs neck until he is 33. He is now 28, clearly starting to fade physically, and his flaws are increasing.

We should sell him ASAP while we still can, even if its to Chelsea or another domestic rival. He is going to fade dramatically over the next 2-3 years, and whilst we will miss the star power, we will find another.

Finally, thanks to Moyes, we can cope with a rebuilding phase. We dont have to have the best team next year. We dont have to win the title. We dont need the biggest star in England. Top4, some better football, and some progression in the squad will be just fine.

15. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I've always thought that Rooney was a bit self-impressed (ok, he's a LOT self-impressed!) and has always had a bit too much power at the club for his own good. Even as a teenager. That has worn a bit thin.

And the idea that other players will always be blamed for his mistakes has gotten old as well.

The idea that good players don't play so that he can play himself back into form from his latest bender? Also gotten old.

The idea that good players have to move out of position so he can dash around the field acting all Dudley Do-right? And then, how he'll make the ever-popular long pass to the right side of midfield to where the waiting band of defenders stand.....

He isn't leaving though. Think of Roy Keane's last years all over again.

jeff070 repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well my issue as i keep saying is he is supposed to be in his prime at just over 28 and we see very little output from him besides the numbers.

his fitness has been poor for a while, he hasn't affected the big games for a good while now and is having an ever dwindling effect on the smaller ones as well.

maybe if he wasn't catered to it might be different but he has gotten everything he demanded (rightly or wrongly) and still fails to produce. i don't care to hear about his burn out, needs to play through it or run aground halfway through the season bullshit. that is an argument for Januzaj not a guy used to the league and in his prime years who refuses to take better care of himself.

i am not interested in his numbers. i was very strongly for selling him in the summer to chelsea and still am. numbers or not. there are other players who can post those numbers and actually influence games when needed.

serious question yet again, what was the last big game he affected besides scoring a goal? like actually exerted influence on? still no one on the forum has been able to answer that. best half answer has been Milan 07

17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Listen man.you dont have to like him but i will LAUGH when you post non sensical stuff like rooney doesnt want to play the 9 spot based on... your hunch? Tea leaves? Cards? :)

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Based on SAF, Sven Goran Erickson, and other England managers.

Also his natural movement when deployed there says as much.

19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Are you completely insane or what?

He and everyone around him have said this. Numerous times.

20. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Diable, has Manchester United won a title in any season where Wayne Rooney was the club's top goal scorer? Why do you think that is the case?

A team that starts with Januzaj, Mata, Kagawa and RVP (with Nani, Hernandez and Welbeck on the bench )has more offensive potential than 17 other teams in the premiership. (With the exception of City and Liverpool)
    Manchester United's best match of the season was the 4-0 away win at Newcastle when Rooney didn't start. Why do you think that was the case?

jeff070 repped this.
  21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is that moyes in the back seat? rooney drove him out of OT?

23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    that's incredible cherry picking, moving the goal post again. Why does it matter if we’ve won championships with Rooney being the top scorer? That’s a pretty silly counter to whether he improves the team or not. Rooney is a boring discussion on this board because if you don’t see only flaws in him then your position is represented as being a complete apologist.

While I do think that he’s a very good football, I readily admitted that there are better strikers on the market (RVP being one) but the marginal improvement of bringing a 50-mil striker like Cavani to take his place would not be sound considering the gaping holes we have in midfield where we need 2 or 3 guys and on the left flank.

Now if you want to give him stick for not being a ‘talisman’ as Johno would say, that discussion doesn’t interest me. I don’t have those expectations for Rooney and I don’t care about his price tag. He makes what he makes for marketing reasons and that’s a beneficial agreement for him but also for the club considering his popularity.

ok simple enough then. you guys just have to show me one quote saying that rooney doesn't like to play center forward - go.

he's bitched about playing in midfield and we've heard some grumblings when he's out wide. never has he complained about playing up top.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    #199 benni..., Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    - Alan Hansen

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ition-ill-be-playing-says-rooney-8395907.html

I get the feeling that you will be pedantic, but wether he dislikes or, or doesnt deny it. The bolded is a clear complaint.

Its clear what his preference is....;

Still looking for SAF's direct quotes.

25. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    that's exactly what i thought you'd get and i'm not trying to be a smart ass. cr7rossi claimed that he doesn't want to play the 9, you're showing me quotes saying that his preferred position is behind the main striker. there's a gulf between the two propositions and it's not due to semantics. we do not have the same definition of what a 'clear complaint' is.

also, i'm forgetting what the original argument was about and that's prolly a good sign to move on to something else. :)