The Wayne Rooney Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Real Madrid 1/4 final vs. Real Madrid.
    Leg 1 & 2.

CL final @ Wembley.

Two big game examples of this criticism, among his other faults.

2. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, that is different. If you suddenly ask him to do something different from what he has been doing, he won't get it right at first. It doesn't matter what you are asking from him, it take a little time for him to adapt. If you spend a season telling him to play behind a main striker, and then suddenly ask him to mark a specific player, of course he is going to struggle. You are asking him to fight his instincts established over months.

If SAF had prepared him for that he would have done the job well.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So you agree he lacks tactical discipline as he is incapable of performing simple tasks as instructed?

jeff070 repped this.
  4. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No. Otherwise he would have never been able to play on the left or with his back to goal. He wouldn't have adapted to playing behind Cheech after spending a season playing as the lone striker.

And get out of here with that "simple task" crap. You think Ronaldo would be able to suddenly start tracking a midfielder, while linking up the attack and midfield if asked to?

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rooney insists on playing a defensive role regardless as referenced above. Why is it a stretch to expect him to do that with a little bit of tactical discipline or is that one of the things we could not afford to pay him for?

6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That isn't what he was asked to do. He was asked to suddenly be a midfielder. You want that from him, let him learn the role.

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I don't see how its different. Or what's different. He failed to do the job in the first leg (direct blame can be passed to him for allowing the cross), and he was benched for Welbeck in the 2nd leg and it worked well.

In 09 he failed to do that same job Welbeck did on Xabi Alonso, to Busquets.

park did the same job on pirlo. So how can one say SAF didn't prepare him well?

Rooney has been playing all 3 roles regularly in his almost 10 years here. Its not an excuse. He wouldn't be relegated to an expensive utility man, if he was devastating at one thing.

A small point that you never seem to acknowledge is that SAF would not ask Ronaldo to do these things. Why? Because Ronaldo could be counted on to do his job exceptionally well.

jeff070 repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    true, but i offered Amdrag as a specific name, others (not here) have said that but i disagree with it. to be fair it isn't a majority but i've heard it before

i suppose you might be able to argue that though i don't agree given any 'dip' they have in form still includes goals assists and effecting the games they are in. if you are going that route then pick two other players to make that argument not the two most pronounced outliers.

as for Rooney and the rest who get "burnt out" i still don't buy it. as i've said before no one offers that excuse for water carriers or two way/box to box mids who do endless running and pressing like Fernandinho/Gattuso/Khedira types (for example) when they have bad games.

and those guys that do the hard work and let the playmakers and attackers go free actually perform the most arduous tasks. the guys who the burnt out excuses are made for don't have those burdens to deal with. and especially in Rooney's case his running around is becoming more and more useless. so that coupled with his bad lifestyle (fitness wise) means he burns out himself if anything and that would be on him.

9. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Pep complimenting Welbz prior to the CL game instead of Rooney shows how highly he is rated and how much potential he has given the guidance he needs.

10. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    LOL! you have to make your cherry picking a little more subtle when the events are not even a month old. ovious bias is ovious.

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You think Pep will say Wayne Rooney is overrated?

12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    What is ovious?

13. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    no. i also think that he was under no pressure to call him a 'big player' and 'one of the best players he's ever seen is his career' since the questeion was only if he thought he'd play in the 2nd leg.

i know it's hard to fathom on this board that players and managers rate rooney. they really do.

14. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    your bias, keep up.

15. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    zzz

jeff070 repped this.
  16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It is when he has consecutive matches that's no better than 4/10

------+++

This team has never won anything major with Rooney being the main man or figure head.

And it will remain that way. We can do better. Except for shirt sales.

jeff070 repped this.
  17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    you're moving the goal post on the discussion. who cares whether he is the best player on the team? the thing is - assuming rvp is out - bringing in a #9 better than rooney and potentially available this summer will cost around 50 mil (e.g. cavani, costa, ibra, suarez, falcao).

i wouldn't say no to any ot these players but i'd rather throw that kind of money at reus to gill the huge gap on the left wing or, better yet, get a brand new midfield like kroos-carvalho.

it's not that i think wayne is irraplaceable, it's just that our needs in midfield and on the left flank are much more pressing.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Get rid of the cancerous growth before it spreads.

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What if we can do all that AND buy another striker?

20. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the ship has sailed.

Fergie was quite clear in what he thought should happen to Rooney, and had everything setup for Moyes to ship him out and have Rooney be the villain. Moyes of course cocked that up, along with everything else, and now we are stuck with him on an unmanageable contract.

We may get lucky, with Chelsea, City or Arsenal coming in for him, but it seems a remote chance. Or the new manager may have actual balls and just sell him at a huge loss, as Rogers did with Carroll. But I think we are stuck with him. He has had a good season and is a star in the eyes of many fans (read the cafe or other sites, or listen to fan interviews). It will be hard for the new manager to ship him out.

benni... repped this.
  21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    When did he have a good season?

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The average fan has low expectation from Rooney since they can easily associate with him.

23. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #173 Drae, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Do people in the know think Van Gaal would bench / sell Rooney?

From what I have read, Rooney is not a great fit for Van Gaals system as a 10, and RVP would be favored as a 9. And it sounds like Van Gaal has the balls to sell our "star" player.

He hasnt. According to our forum.

But you get out and about on other forums and listen to fan interviews / podcasts and most fans think hes had a great season. "Hes saved us this season". "Only good thing Moyes has done". "Where would be without his goals?". Etc.

And lets not get into the media bias.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SAF should have gotten rid himself, a big mistake from him

25. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dunno. I thought it was a clever play, setting up Rooney has the bad guy, and allowing Moyes to instantly have an air of authority in the big leagues. Fergie probably had a press release drafted supporting Moyes selling Rooney to Chelsea.

The only mistake Fergie made was thinking Moyes was up to the job. Fergie really did believe in Moyes. He probably cant fathom how Moyes has cocked it up so badly in every possible.