The Wayne Rooney Thread - Part III

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    First of all he isnt a teen (21) second of all he is not over-rated his stats prove that he is one of the best in the Prem. 14 goals and 11 assits last year. Hardly anyone in the league except Ronaldo had as many points between the two most important stats for an attcking player. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

2. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    thats 14 goals and 11 assists in a season where he wasn't playing well. Imagine how many he would have scored in an in form season.

3. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We won the title FFS. NFT

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was more happy to see him get back to scoring in the CL. Hearing those announcers go on and on about how Roon and Ronaldo don't score in Europe was getting tiresome.

5. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never trade Rooney for Drogba...not in a million years and not if Rooney were hurt and Frazier Campbell and The Dong were our only available strikers.

6. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Rooney is my favorite footballer and his age is his strenght in a conversation such as this, but Drogba is at the moment a better striker than Rooney. I dont like Drogba, never have and I would not trade Rooney for him (mainly b/c of age) but Wayne is not the best striker in the world and I would trade him for Messi in a heart beat.

7. doug1500

doug1500 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    USA
    Your opinionsucks

8. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    You would trade him for messi so that messi could get stepped on by micah richards?

9. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the same Messi that has had one season of productivity?

10. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

11. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    that's good shit rakim

12. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I am a United fan and Wayne is my favorite player on the team, but I hold no matiral loyalty to him. He is one of the best strikers playing today, but not too many people who watch football and have eyes would say that Rooney is better than Messi. Yes his most productive year was last year and much of his hype is built off that but remember Messi put up the same numbers as Rooney did last year and he is a year younger. Come to think of it maybe we should start a new thread. Rooney vs. Messi

13. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Rooney isn't very much older
    Rooney has been putting up these types of numbers for 3 seasons now
    Rooney is physically stronger
    Rooney can deal with the pace and intensity of the EPL
    Rooney put up his numbers in the best league in europe, messi did it in a league where defending is dismal
    No element of messi's game is better then rooney's other then dribbling
    Rooney is not a cheating, diving twat.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whoa whoa....hes still only 19. Messi = Beast

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Messi did it in the CL, where Rooney has never done it and where all the best players (defenders as well) are. //devils advocate

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Messi's finishing is as good imo.

He is faster imo.

Messi is more versatile. His performances dont drop when you put him outside his comfort zone.

Rooney is a cheating, diving twat. Ask around.

17. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    And just because defending isn't as physical in Spain doesn't mean it is worse. Evading a poorly timed tackle is a lot easier than evading someone who refuses to tackle, for the simple reason that once a tackle is made space is opened up, and someone is wasting time trying to get up and get back to the ball.

Spanish defending historically works really well against Premiership sides, exposing the myth that the Premiership has better defending.

18. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    atm Rooney is a better player them Messi, and a more established one. Both players potential is limitless, but keep in mind that Messi just came off the best season he has ever had, and Rooney came off not such a great one which is why there are doubts being thrown around.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Does not compute.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Its a shame people here are too ignorant to realize how good Spanish defending really is. I guess all those champions league winners were really good at convincing the other team to give them the ball.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Apparently those CL trophies dont mean anything. As long as you get stuck in. :rolleyes:

22. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Messi was also surrounded by more total talent and team that plays a style of football week in and week out that is suited to Europe.

Messi is a good player. But for a Premiere League team, I would take Rooney hands down. Not even a second thought.

23. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In which he scored 23 goals? That tells me everything about the guy. He has a "poor" season and he still nets 23 goals. I'd be suprised if Messi ever scores 23 goals in a season. I know Messi usually plays out wide but so does Ronaldo and he got 20+ last season too.

Messi is an outstanding talent, of that there is no doubt, but with regards to who is the more complete player? Rooney wins hands down. However, there must come a point when Rooney ceases to be a "young" player and that point will be upon us soon. What is the age? 22? 23? Messi is still only 19 I think so he has time on his hands.........

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

The post you quoted was in reference to something else.

But as far as being surrounded by more talent, thats arguable. If you are saying that Rooney has less quality on his team (Its close), isnt that a reason as to why he SHOULD shine more?

The style of play point isnt really clicking with me. Not all teams play a style suited to Europe but that doesnt stop their star players from shining. For example, Munich w/ Ballack, Riquelme w/ Villareal.

Also, I would never choose Messi over Rooney for this team.

25. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    In comparing the two Messi has Rooney bested in everything except power, which is a big deal when playing in the prem, so having that said Rooney's power problably would make him a better premiership player. As far as all the other leagues and international play i would have to give the nod to Messi, the up side for him is tremendous. Maradona said it himself that Messi is the reincarnation of himself. Only time will tell with this little debate, however if i were a betting man i would say that in the end messi will have the better carrer.