The Washington Spirit

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, UP has nicer practice kit. At least they are tailored.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Oh my, I didn't recognize the shorts at first.
    They are horrible for today's soccer world.
    Umbro had a style like this in the early 90's, if I remember correctly.
    They wrinkled easier. #2 needs to iron her shorts.

[​IMG]

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And there are no names on the back of those kits (DC Spirit kits).
    Big mistake.
    NWSL is taking this "less hype, more performance" thing a little too dense, and a little too dry.
    No wonder why it's being called a semi-pro league by a lot of people so far.
    Hey, Will Farrell had a semi-pro movie. But it had hype and performance, and solid ratings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Is it possible they are not putting names on the kits until the final 20 (or is it 22?) person roster is set?

6. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People don't seem to understand just how quick this league was put together. I expect most teams to have their own customized kit's next season. They're probably already designing them now.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. Soccervet

Soccervet New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After yesterday's scrimmage I'd be less concerned about the uniforms and slightly more concerned with the level of talent on this squad. Certainly players like Lindsay and Krieger will improve that for them but it was much more reminiscent of a summer league women's team than a professional environment. It's Great that players are getting looks but we have to hope that few of those that we saw yesterday will actually see the field this year (exceptions obviously being Ochs, Roberts, and Miller who I thought were the most effective players out there...and possibly a few others). I am encouraged knowing that more than a few players aren't even in camp yet but I'm hoping they can take this team to the level they need to be at to compete in this league

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I'm glad the choice of players was explained... I was worried that I basically didn't recognize any names.

Considering it's only been one week and it's the second string of players used, I wouldn't be too worried about apparent talent level yet.

9. Soccervet

Soccervet New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt they will be significantly better than they were yesterday, and I'll be rooting for them and this league to succeed regardless

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, they've only been in camp for a week. Secondly, I'd only expect four or five of those who played to be in the final starting roster. It's a little too soon to be worrying about team performance.

11. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    And there are definitely players on the teams that are 3rd place and below in the top leagues of France, Germany, Sweden, etc that are at the same level of skill and fitness. The top players in the NCAA are more then equal to the "average" players in those leagues. We will have some top skilled players on each of these teams in the NWSL. The key is that they are not all on the same team. We will also have some mid-level players. This will provide room to grow, and even spaces for new players to take coming out of college as some players reach their peak and it is a little too low for the pros. If the league lasts it will provide a fine place to grow the overall talent level in this country.

12. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC

I think after a week of practice this is a little harsh. The main objective had to have been to give everyone a chance to play before the first cuts were made. Also, Penn State isn't just any college team. It's not like the Spirit were playing Canisius or anything...

13. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow, Washington racks up 33 shots on a team who was in the College Cup just a few months ago, holding PS to just 10 shots. The WS players have been in camp for 5 days, new Coaches, New Teammmates, new Environment(few) and your comment( reminiscent of a summer league women's team than a professional environment) really doesn't do you justice since you would know anything about soccer since you are the SOCCERVET!:rolleyes:

14. Soccervet

Soccervet New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know quite a bit more about soccer than you think I do ;) especially in the DMV. Let's just say I'm excited for the upper tier players to come in and put on a show. Not meaning to step on any toes here, just anxious for the league to get under way and have professional soccer back!

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not quite the same team that was in the College Cup as so far as I can tell none of the seniors participated.

16. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It's not the same team as was in the College Cup but the fact remains that Penn State is one of the collegiate teams in the country.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From match notes sent out today:

Also, stadium expected to be fully Spirit-ized by the home opener, and the Beer Garden (barring unforeseen circumstances) will be back.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At the UMD game now, teams are starting to come out. I'm hoping for a strong performance since all these non-NT players have been together almost a month now. Attendance nearing (surpassing?) 200.

I hope once rosters are finalized the jerseys will get names...

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spirit with some bad giveaways already but keeping it in the attacking half.

2' Spirit shot, easily collected.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    3' Spirit shot on goal from far left. Then the ball goes downfield and stays there a while

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    5' Spirit back on the attack

6' Cross cleared, ball back into DC's half.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    8' Spirit get the ball forward long enough for a good cross but that's about it.

9' Bad giveaway by UMD in midfield gives DC a rocket shot; goes far over the crossbar.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spirit having the better possession but having trouble getting into the attacking 1/3rd.

Fans have been trickling in continuously. Easily above 300, maybe above 400 now.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    11' Spirit SOG from the right. Relatively easy catch by UMD's keeper but there were people around.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    UMD wins a footrace down Spirit's left; ball in around the box for a couple minutes

13' UMD shot over goal from center