The Washington Spirit

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been confirmed elsewhere that it is in fact a dark navy blue and not black.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know why I didn't see this before today, but the "extras" on the ball kinda looks like an eagle's talons. Nice touch if that was the intent.

Also, didn't say it before, but nice styling with the "DC" as well.

3. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was definitely the intent:

"And here’s our “social avatar”. If you look closely at the logo, you’ll see this there too. It’s the talons of an eagle grasping a soccer ball."

- Spirit unveil new logo with a lot of meaning

4. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Much better! However, it is funny they have changed something I would have kept: the Spirit band. Instead of closing behind as a belt, it opens to the outside.

The talons were a really nice touch.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Washington Spirit confirmed this morning via Twitter that all regular season matches (and probably one preseason match) will be streamed.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Is Washington ever going to confirm their 5th free agent? I'm thinking it'll be a defender again.
    So far in free agency and the supplemental draft combined (ten total players), Washington has only picked up two defenders of those ten players (Chapman and Toulouse). The other eight were a bunch of forwards and midfielders, and of course one goalkeeper (Ochs, Kai, Mischler, Cooke, Wells, Huster, Angeli, and Chatel Jones).

Personally, they have taken too many forwards (in quantity), and not enough defenders.
    Their allocation caused them to panic a little too much at forward. 4 of their 6 supplemental draft choices were forwards, when they really only needed to draft 2 forwards in the supplemental draft (to compliment McCarty and Miller). Instead of Mischler and Cooke, Washington could have drafted a defender in at least one of those two spots. A player like Kandace Wilson would have been a great defensive pickup for them. Heck, if needed, Kandace Wilson is probably even a better forward than Cookie and/or Mischler. But Wilson is an even better defender of course.

I believe Washington was the only franchise to not take a defender in the entire supplemental draft. Hopefully Garciamendez will be there most or all of the season. Maybe they have a hidden gem coming in discovery. I'm going to predict that Toni Pressley will be on their team. She played with Tiffany McCarty and Tori Huster in college (at Florida State). Pressley played for the champion WNY Flash team last year in WPSL Elite. If she is in this league, it'll be with the Spirit or Flash, you would think. It's amazing to think that Tiffany McCarty, Jessica Price, Amanda DaCosta, Becky Edwards, Tori Huster, Erin McNulty, Toni Pressley, and Casey Short (#5 overall pick of NWSL draft) were on the same college team together at Florida State, and they couldn't win it all.

Seminoles Roster: (loaded team)
    http://www.seminoles.com/sports/w-soccer/stats/2008-2009/08-w-soccer-roster.html

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ashlynn Harris tweeted It's official... I am leaving FCR Duisburg for good and coming home to play in America.
    I am happy to start fresh with the @washspirit a professional organization I'm proud to represent.

Thank you to all my wonderful fans in Germany. I'm sorry it had to end this way.

8. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Harris' return might explain why they never used their 5th FA spot. Wonder how long they've known...

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It wouldn't matter at this point anyways.
    Whatever players still out there that they will sign, they can just sign them as discovery players.
    I believe you're allowed up to four discovery players that you can sign, so that's plenty.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this tweet suggest that she had a problem with the FCR Duisburg organization? I'm curious, does anyone have any information along these lines?

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Duisburg has been having major financial problems, I think they're going to go insolvent. They've been losing players left and right over the past few months, on top of having problems paying the players they still have.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Garciamendez thing has me confused. Why was she going thru a trail in Germany if it was her intention to not play until graduation?

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They are actually in receivership, or whatever it's called in Europe. They had to slash costs so there would be something to sell at the end of the year. That's why Elli Reed came home and Ando left.

Here was Reeds announcement.

http://www.womensoccer.de/2013/01/31/duisburg-trennt-sich-auch-von-elli-reed/

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If it was the actual league and not the silly indoor competition, and if she actually had a competent team in front of her, then I'd be worried. But neither is the case. Coming in to our forum to rag on a player (like you did in the Boston forum) is just rude, sensationalist, and unwarranted.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    For the record, I've got Harris ranked as the 2nd best goalkeeper in NWSL behind Hope Solo, in my rankings. So I do think highly of Harris. I was just pointing out that she didn't have her best game (yes it was indoors). She did get smoked in that game. She'll be alright though. Even the best pitcher in baseball gets rocked from time to time.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My writeup after visiting today's pro combine and talking with the GM, head coach, and three of the players:

Spirit getting ready for inaugural season

Key items:
    - Not sure when Garciamendez will show
    - Worbis also an issue
    - Julia Roberts announced as discovery player
    - Fifth and final free agent determined, unable to reveal as she's under contract in Europe

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Julia Robers is quite the discovery pickup.
    Played for the U-17 team at the U-17 WWC, and started many of those matches in New Zealand.
    Former youth WNT phenom, who was highly recruited. Can play in the midfield or in the back.
    Played with Caroline Miller and Morgan Brian in college.
    I have her rated as an 86, which is quite the rating for a discovery player.
    Players like Roberts just get the job done.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The Spirit certainly have some good looking players.

[​IMG]

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So who is the mystery free agent in Europe? Only name I seen thrown out is Toni Pressley.

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Pressley would be a huge get for them at this stage, in terms of need.
    Washington still needs at least one more solid defender.
    She's one of the best realistic defenders left on the market.
    Pressley could start. Ideally, you would want Julia Roberts & Hodak to be reserves as rookies.

Without Garciamendez (before she joins the team):

Starters
    Ali Krieger
    Candace Chapman
    Toni Pressley
    Robyn Gayle (Canada will want her to start)

Reserves
    Kika Toulouse (she's also good enough to start)
    Julia Roberts (can also play in the midfield)
    Domenica Hodak

Midseason addition
    Alina Garciamendez

Top 3 or 4 defense without Garciamendez
    Top 2 or 3 defense with Garciamendez (maybe a run at #1)

It depends on who other teams like KC sign to join Sauerbrunn, Sesselmann, Robinson, etc.
    Courtney Jones is a very good candidate at outside back for them. KC needs to sign at least one more solid defender for depth. Their starting back line is one of the best in the league right now.

For Portland, it comes down to whether Ellertson and/or Dalmy play for them, joining Buehler, Kat Williamson, Nikki Marshall, Sandoval, Saucedo, Avant, etc.

But Sky Blue's defense is #1, and will probably stay #1.
    Kendall Johnson, Rampone, Cutshall, Caitlin Foord, Melanie Booth, etc.
    Bock and Makoski as pests in the midfield, in addition to Sophie Schmidt.
    They also have Kelley O'Hara as an outside back if needed.
    They also drafted Allison Falk and Kandace Wilson, but it looks like both won't be playing for them. CoCo Goodson is a good reserve for them.

It hurt Boston when Casey Short went down.

Chicago has a solid defense as of now, but not spectacular on the back line.
    Their strength is in their defensive midfield.

Seattle has question marks, especially if Krzysik doesn't play for them.

And WNY does not have a Top 4 defense in the league now, even though Taylor, Johnson, and McCarthy will be good players for them. They need more depth.

22. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL – What’s In A Name? Washington Spirit

23. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Final: Washington Spirit 1 Penn State 0. Olivia Wagner scored off a corner in the 87 minute.
    Was able to listen to this game via stream. Thanks Washington Spirit!
    Even though it was a scrimmage I think both teams were able to play a number of players. WS had the run of play but were denied a number of times(4 balls off the woodwork), including many nice saves by Penn State goalie.
    Penn State had some wide open shots with Washington Keeper coming up big with some great saves. Their defense will be steller next fall.

Good Luck!

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spirit open preseason with win over Penn State

25. StarCityFan