The Washington Spirit

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Washington Spirit is having an invitation only combine this weekend for "professional level" players. There are a bunch of seniors from my kid's school going. Hope it's warmer than it is right now!

3. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    So based on Lianne's tweet, it looks like she won't be back in D.C. this year (and presumably neither will Jo). Has Washington come to terms with any free agents? It's a little unsettling that a lot of the other teams have signed at least a free agent player or two...

4. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Yeah, Boston is the front runner. Gotta wonder what free agents Washington can muster up. They're not exactly the crown jewel of NWSL.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Thankfully they had a good draft.
    They're a team that may benefit from the supplemental draft right now.
    They could use De Vanna as a "discovery" pick up.
    They still need at least one more forward (preferably a veteran), De Vanna would give them that.

If I were them, I'd make a hard sales pitch to Becky Edwards (she's from Pennsylvania), and tell her to bring Ali Riley to the team in 2014. Build around that. They would be instant stars on their team, and the local fans would adopt them as one of their own. They both have great personalities.

Build a nucleus of De Vanna (start her), Caroline Miller, Tiffany McCarty, Colleen Williams, Dianna Matheson, Lori Lindsey, Worbis, Becky Edwards, Holly King, Ali Riley, Ali Krieger, Alina Garciamendez, Robin Gayle, and Ashlyn Harris.

Now that is a team. And it's very marketable.
    De Vanna is a flashy speedy player. Start her. Play her 60-70 minutes, and substitute for her.
    The Ali and Ali show would be fun to see on their defense, and in their silly but fun candid videos on Youtube (call it "Life with Ali and Ali"). For those that don't know, Ali Riley had a bunch of videos online when she was in WPS. She loves the camera.

And you have the grit from Holly King at winning balls and preventing attacks. Lindsey is a piece in the midfield that is certainly valuable. Matheson just makes exciting sh*t happen, and the Spirit fans will love her.

This team would draw attendance.
    Just need Becky Edwards and Ali Riley (a year later).
    And of course, Lisa De Vanna immediately.
    And they're selling more tickets, and are a championship contender.
    Just all they need. Get De Vanna, and win the Edwards and Riley sweepstakes.
    Have Ashlyn Harris sell it to them. She played with them in Western New York in WPS.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her interview with Sinclair when Christine had the broken nose was hysterical, particularly when she tried to wear the nose brace.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL, yeah. Ali Riley rocks.

8. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    So Washington has signed at least 1 player. Any guesses as to who it might be? I'm personally hoping for a veteran forward. I'm not comfortable relying solely on rookies for offensive production. Not too many veteran forwards on the market though...

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking they could really use Lisa de Vanna, but I don't know if she's interested. They definitely need at least one veteran forward. I was hoping Lianne Sanderson would be one of them, but for whatever reason she's decided to go elsewhere.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Maybe Laura Kalmari as an international from Finland.
    Johanna Rasmussen from Denmark.
    There's also Sarah Gregorius from New Zealand. Or a taller Amber Hearn.
    Both scored goals for New Zealand at the 2011 WWC.

Domestically, Washington can go after Casey Nogueira, and give her the sales pitch that she's a guaranteed starter, and could be their top goal scorer. Amanda Cinalli and Tiffany Weimer are also veterans out there, and Weimer is from the East, and Weimer played for the Freedom in 2006.

If I'm Washington, I try to get one international (or Nogueira) as a veteran starter, and Tiffany Weimer as a reserve forward. I'm looking at Tiffany Weimer's stats for FC Gold Pride in 2009, and she was tied for 5th in WPS with 3 assists that year. Tied for 5th with like ten other players, but she is a good distributor in addition to a quick attacker that gets behind the defense. Her energy and play-making (and goal scoring ability) is valuable for a fresh reserve that comes in against a more fatigued defense in the 68th minute.

And there are plenty of forwards in the 2014 draft.
    Even with a late 1st round pick, Washington could pick up a bigger forward in (5'8") Katie Stengel (that's how strong the draft is in 2014). If Washington has a high enough first round pick, they might be able to get Kealia Ohai.

11. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It looks like Ingrid Wells made a recent trip to DC.........could it be?:cool:

or was it just a trip to her old stomping grounds???

https://twitter.com/Ingridwells9

Chris Henderson is reporting the same thing.

12. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Her last two follows on Twitter were Lori Lindsey and Ali Krieger. Hmmm.... I wonder. ;)

13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She went to school at Georgetown. Are we trying to corner the market on petite midfielders? ;)

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That would be a great pickup for Washington.
    Wells is a very solid player. Better than the avg. midfielder, no doubt.
    But Washington does have other pressing needs. They need another couple of defenders. They need at least one veteran forward (capable starter in quality), and probably one other reserve forward. Midfielders are always nice, and she's a great signing, but they still have other needs for sure.

She completes their midfield depth:
    Collen Williams, D. Matheson, Ingrid Wells, Lori Lindsey, Guadalupe Worbis, Holly King (DM)
    If they sign one more, it should be a reserve midfielder.

I have Diana Matheson ranked as the #3 attacking mid in NWSL, even though some don't consider her an attacking mid, that's what she does, she attacks toward goal and makes things happen. I have Colleen Williams ranked as the #11 attacking mid (and that could go up, as she's just a rookie). I have Ingrid Wells ranked as the #12 midfielder. I have Lori Lindsey ranked as the #6 midfielder. I have Worbis ranked as the #14 midfielder. I have Holly King ranked as the #6 DM in NWSL. Washington definitely has a playoff caliber midfield.

[​IMG]

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Brittany Klein is still out there.
    She would qualify as petite in size.

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 5'3" she's a giantess compared with the other two. ;) But I wouldn't mind having her as well - and she's played here before because the Freedom signed her midseason a couple of years ago.

17. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
  18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    And she got some cross-training as forward during her days in Göteborg, but I wouldn't call her better than average in that area ;)

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Based on the Spirit's Twitter feed, it looks like they're taking a page from KC's book and revamping their look (or at least are in the process of it).

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. Black-and-red for a reason?

[​IMG]

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I like the new one better.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  23. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    It's similar because the Spirit brought in that same graphic designer for its new logo.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The logo looks better.
    Good job Spirit. I like the dark navy blue.
    I wonder what their home and away jerseys will look like.
    I'm kind of glad the Freedom are gone, and the Spirit are born.
    They need a new identity. Maybe that'll bring a good omen to a new league.
    Maybe the Boston Breakers will now need to become the Boston Shakers, to add to that omen.

But great design. Almost as good as their Freedom logo from 2009-2011.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And definitely looks better than the San Diego Spirit logo, from WUSA.

[​IMG]