The Walking Dead (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, can we talk about the well scene? That is the point at which the show went from being disappointing, to outright insulting. As much as I appreciated the waterlogged zombie effect and the tearing-in-half zombie effect, which were awesome, it was hard to enjoy any of it given the colossal levels of stupidity required from the characters in order for the scene to occur.

Also, I have to ask: Why aren't there zombies hanging around the gate to the farm, trying to get in? The fence appeared to be three strings of barbed wire, too. It's awfully difficult to believe that the walkers haven't discovered this little cache of living people, the only living people for miles around.

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is key. There are zombies.

I've watched every episode. I hate so much of what happens in this show. I cringe from good zombie horror about 1-2 times per episode. I roll my eyes 11 times per episode.

I say, "Well, that's ********ing stupid" about twice per episode.

That said, I can't stop watching, and I don't know why.

It's really not a good show. But I still kind of like it.

I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!!

I guess it might be because I am curious about what will happen next. But that's it. The acting is pretty bad. The plot is pretty bad. The dialogue is awful. But I'm still curious about what will happen to these people even though I want them to be eaten.

It makes no sense to me... but I think everyone's complaints are absolutely legitimate.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, it's very like you to dismiss that statement altogether in favor of something antagonistic.

The show is stupid. I think 'experienced' tv and film viewers can agree on a lot of its flaws. Let's not be silly and make excuses for the poor writing. The catch here is that it's become downright insulting to our intelligence, in which case it becomes just another dumb show that caters to people who are easily satisfied with subpar programming. In that sense one can start to pick out patterns of similar shows.

This attitude of defending something pure and simply because it's being overly criticized has become about everything else but the show itself and that's where the problem lies. I don't understand where this position comes from - to willingly defend something that treats you like a child and then infringe on the rights of someone who might just care more about the topic at hand to go further than just demean the show directly.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I think you nailed it on the head for me. That's pretty much how I feel.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    It's how I feel as well.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The well scene was meant as comic relief more than anything else, and to set up Glenn as a hottie in the chic's eyes. I guess you live in a different world than I do--I'm quite used to seeing colossal levels of stupidity in the real world.

As far as zombies not hanging around the farm--well we don't know that they are the only living people for miles or that they haven't already assaulted the farm plenty of times, it's just that they haven't attacked in the couple of days that the survivors have been there.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Agreed on the stupidity of the well scene. If the aim was to portray the group as a bunch of idiots, it achieved its goal.

Your second point might be slightly more explainable by the fact that Hershel's farm seems to be rather out of the way of well - anything. There won't have been many large clusters of people around, so unless a herd of them stumble upon the place, they probably managed pretty well to simply avoid the zombies.

[result]Of course there was also a little piece of dialogue this week that seemed to imply that the barn holds the same "surprise" as it did in the comics. This was further confirmed by Maggie's response to their treatment of the well zombie after he was pulled out (well, half pulled out) of the well.[/result]

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I get your point. Are you suggesting that because there are many stupid people in the real world, I should enjoy watching TV narratives about them?

Yes, there obviously is more to the farm than is immediately apparent. We have a couple clues, including the refusal to allow guns, the total absence of zombies in and around the farm, the mysterious reference to the barn, and the doctor's statement to Rick that there are some things he can't and won't talk about right now. There is clearly some "big secret," and even if I hadn't read the comic, I'd have some idea about what it might be.

Still, I'm just not buying the barbed wire fence as sufficient protection during a zombie apocalypse.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that far out of the way. As the farmgal said to the Asian kid, the pharmacy's in town just a few miles away. Same was said about the high school. They're also less than a day's walk to the interstate.

This show is stupid - insultingly so. But as Demosthenes said, there's zombies. So I'll probably keep watching.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    She's pregnant. Oh noes.....Soap opera time.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yeah, this show sucks when there are no zombies on screen. Has anyone read Zone One? First zombie novel I've heard of by a MacArthur Grant winner.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to say that I've found just the right way to enjoy this series: stop actually watching after season 1, episode 4 and just read the thread on BS. Works well for me. :)

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    The show has been canceled, as a solution to deal with zombies was discovered.

View attachment 5500

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm just watching episode 4......the 'well scene' has just finished.......and here was me thinking this collection of people couldn't get any more stoopid. Seriously, how did that scene get passed through when the writers put that forward? or is that how it happened in the comic??

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was never in the comic. The show has started to seriously deviate from the comic.

16. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The comic was hardly a literary masterpiece so if it deviates I don't mind.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet it's far better than what's on tv.

Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with how long they're dragging out the Sophia thing?

18. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yes, especially since her mother is my least favorite character on the entire show. So I assume she's gonna turn up at the penitentiary (where the other survivors are located)?

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, I was hoping they would find the kid and move on. Kinda getting tire of that story line. Who are the walkers in the barn? Relatives? damn rednecks

20. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Very annoyed -- I really hope they don't base the whole season on looking for her, its already getting ridiculous.

Although, in the terms of the show she's only been missing a few days. But I'm with Shane on this one.

21. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  22. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  23. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  24. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  25. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Can someone delete post #143?

Not everyone has read the comic series. Please stop posting spoilers.