The Walking Dead (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Oct 14, 2011.

1. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    I'm late to the game, but people were talking about why they are staying at the farm and not, say, finding other farms nearby. Herschel has mentioned a few times that there are swamps around the outside of the farm, save the road that leads there. That's where Otis used to find zombies stuck in the mud. In the preview for tonight's episode, he mentions that the swamps will be drying up, so they need to move inside. That's the reason while the farm is relatively safe and not overrun unlike other places. Also, nothing has really happened on the farm, so I think it's understandable that the characters would start to be less on edge and feel safe. That's why Daryl lives in a tent on the edge of the property and why Dale went walking around (and also because he was distraught about the group's decision).

2. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    In regards to the dead officers without bites: Results: In the comic, don't they reveal that everyone has the disease and comes back whenever they die, even if they weren't bitten? I think this could work with what the CDC doctor whispered to Rick in the final episode of the first season. Though this might not go along with the various dead bodies lying around like in the first episode of this season.

Also about the scene where they hid underneath the cars to hide from the horde, you have to remember that there were a lot of dead bodies around. It's possible that the zombies couldn't differentiate the two--living and dead. Or it could just be inconsistent writing. I don't know.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it came back up again tonight.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm I don't believe that was ever mentioned in the comic.

In regards to tonight's ep... It's about effing time.

5. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    I haven't read the comics, but I've seen in a few places where they mention that Walking Dead's zombies follow the Romero zombie archetype, i.e. slow walking and reanimate no matter how they die.

If you meant the CDC part, I wasn't necessarily meaning that. I have no idea if that happened in the graphic novel.

6. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    In the first part of the episode, they were kicking that zombie like it was the fax machine from Office Space.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess it was personal with that zombie. :D

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    big surprise ending there for me last night. never thought it would go down like that. Next week looks like the zombie Mania is running wild!

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's interesting that they more or less went back to the comic book resolution of the Rick-Shane problem. What was the point of keeping Shane alive for this long?

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that the first writing team (lead by Darabont) had other plans for the character.

10. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I think I might have missed an episode or two so maybe this was explained, but wasn't Rick still in the dark about when Lori and Shane's affair started? I thought that Rick was under the impression that they only got together after he was given up for dead at the hospital.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having him still around allowed for there to be more conflict for the season, without him there's not near as much this season, for example, the barn scene with the zombies. None of the characters, other than Shane had been set up to have that sort of reaction eventually to the zombies being there.

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, Shane was around for the conflict and the tension with Rick.

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who is going to be the new "bad guy" now? I think Daryl can cause a lot of conflict in the group.

14. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably some new characters.

15. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    I second this. I think the group is relatively "stable" now without any wild cards like Shane. I think Daryl is fully with the group now. I'm sure they'll move away from the farm after the season finale.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I guess I can't blame the show for killing the best character, but there's nobody else left that I want to see survive.

17. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have just started reading the series.

I am well into the prison sequence and I have to wonder how that is terribly different from the show. Both have very badly written portions with way too much emo crap. But all in all... it's zombies and halfway decent. That's why we keep coming back for both.

So some people die at different stages (or didn't)... whatever.

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Makes as much sense as making Dale a Jesus-type character after not even spotlighting him as much in the entire series.

--

Anti-climactic end to a sequence that was built up to from the first episode. What else is new?

--

Something that would have been infinitely more interesting would be the following scenario: Shane and Rick has face-off while zombies attack so it causes panic. Shane shoots Rick's hand off while Rick manages to shoot Shane in the head damaging his eye somewhat. Amidst the chaos Shane flees and with the knowledge of where the other group is joins them and returns as the Governor in the fourth season or when enough time has passed.

19. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merle for Governor!

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    And how the hell does Shane not see Rick reaching for the knife?

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he was distracted looking at the gun?

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Meh....he's a veteran cop, he should know better. Also, why not ask Rick to just throw the gun? Just seemed careless.

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Shane probably didn't think his friend would kill him like that. When he was reaching for the gun, Shane may have been actually considering taking Rick up on his "let's just forget this happened" offer. If Shane wanted to kill him, he could have just shot him at any time.

24. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Shane not looking at the knife was right in-line with Shane's feelings about Rick. Shane's problem other than him taking back the women and child he loves is that he felt Rick was too weak to handle things that needed to be handled or at least handle them in he way Shane felt they needed to be handled. Basically, Rick had the last laugh on the matter. I think it was very appropriate that Rick ended up being the one with the balls and deceit to handle the problem once and for all. I think it was well-done by the writers just because of how Shane's feelings about Rick were built up over the course of the series so far. I think Shane was really having second thoughts about the whole thing because he clearly didnt think it through. There was no way in hell he would have gotten away with it and I think he was coming to realize that as Rick was approaching him.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how Carl is impacted by this. Does he turn on Rick? Does shooting the zombified Shane finally lead to his turn into early manhood?

25. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Another thing I found interesting is that it seemed to me that Shane was proved right about the kid in the barn- he really was dangerous and would have tried to join back up with his group of killers and possibly returned to attack the farm. Trying to kill Rick was likely more about Shane wanting to be with Lori, but in a sense Shane was right about Rick's decisions putting Lori and Carl at risk and one of Shane's last actions, though coldblooded and malicious, maybe averted disaster for the rest of the group.