The Union's 2012 US Open Cup Campaign [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionizedPA, May 14, 2012.

1. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    also got my 2, and evidently we get 2 more free from the U. Im thinking the attendance will be more like 5k. hoping for more since the tix are pretty cheap.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my two tickets, can't wait.

3. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    I got mine. only got one since the two people that go with me can't go so I would not need 5 extra. Had to call the the site would only let me buy all three. :) sorta excited even though there will be so few of us therer

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to do this at six am because I can't read. I'll get to it when I get home.

5. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to purchase all five seats that I have - just in case everyone wants to go. But, I only expect three to five of us to actually go. If I am out of town, I expect no one will go. So, I buy the five and get five more free tickets. Even if none of them are used, the Union can claim ten people of paid attendance. If this is the case, I predict the paid attendance number will be north of 10,000 but the stadium will only look like 2,000 people are there.

6. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Cup attendance can be a goofy thing. Especially in the earlier rounds. Much of it depends on the opponent being played, who is hosting, and the venue. Attendance numbers can be all over the board. Once you think you have it figured, it surprises you.

Here is an example...

I know Harrisburg (then USL-2) had 1,800 on City Island in 2010 when they played and beat the Red Bulls. After that they played DC United at Maryland Soccer complex (DC hosted) in front of 2,089 people. In 2009 when we beat New England at Veterans Memorial in Connecticut (Rev's hosted) there was 3,100 there. In 2007 Harrisburg hosted and had over 5,200 at Hempfield high school when they beat DC United.

If the Union play the Brooklyn Italians (odds are they won't but you never know) I would bet it will be low. Nothing against Brooklyn just being honest. Aside from Dallas Roma FC (from the USASA) beating Chivas USA (MLS) a few years back I don't think a true amateur team has beaten an MLS team.

If they play the Rhinos it may be a different story. Trust me, just cause they are USL PRO doesn't mean they aren't a solid team. It would be a great match. I know it is apples to oranges comparing then to now but, the Rhinos won the Open Cup in 1999 and defeated 3 MLS teams (Chicago, Dallas, and Colorado) to do it. Obviously I would hope and think Philly wins but it would be worth paying to see. Plus, part of the fun of getting far in the tourney and beating higher level teams is going through the lower rounds and surviving against the lower level teams, which isn't always easy.

7. polaris04

polaris04 Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Lehigh Valley
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just looking at current form our open cup dreams could be dead before they even start. Rochester is solid and always takes the cup seriously.

8. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    What is that thing with free tickets? How do you get the additional free ones?

9. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    They were the last/only 2nd division team to win the Cup after MLS started. In the words of BigSoccer, I'd rep that.

11. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    So do you guys think it's worth the 'risk' of buying a cheaper seat and then potentially moving with a low attendance? Some of you have mentioned that.

12. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they email you saying you got additional tickets. I saw it said they will email the additional tickets to you i just wanna know if i got them so i can start asking if people wanna go.

And if i didn't then we know that we have a crow of 1000+ going.

13. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for the Schalke game, I purchased my 2 season tickets and the team was gracious enough to give me two more for free. In fact, the extra seats were in the same section and row. Whereas my seats are in the middle of the section, the extra seats that were provided were on the aisle.

I invite my friend and his son to accompany my son and me and we sit in my two seats and the two seats next to mine figuring that we can work it out.

Sure enough, two Schalke fans show up and insist upon sitting in the seats next to mine. I point out that I have two extras at the end of the aisle exactly six seats away, but they won't budge. They call over the usher who insists that everyone sit in their designated seats. We wind up moving a few sections over so we can all sit together.

If the Union really wanted to provide a benefit to the STH, they would provide the extras at the same time as the season tickets are purchased. Inviting others to come to the game but not sitting together is somewhat pointless.

14. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked out for me since the STH next to me didn't get tickets (at least I assume they didn't). So my extras were the seat next to me and the seat next to my brother. I'm hoping for a similar situation for the USOC match.

15. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    If the team gave the extras at the time of purchase, it is less likely that they would be together. STH have until the 24th to purchase their seats. Only after that date are the seats released for sale to the general public and/or given away. So if you were to buy tickets now and the team gave you the free seats immediately, your free tickets would have to be seats not currently occupied by a STH. In most cases, this would not be in the same section, let alone adjacent seats. I'm guessing they wait to send the free tickets to try to keep your free tickets as close as possible to your original seats.

16. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that only the first 1,000 orders get the free tickets. I called in and the rep said they were going to run areport on Monday and notify the people who got them. I had to call because even though I have five seats, the online system would only let me purchase three. The rep was going to charge me $4.25 per seat. I explained the situation and he only charged me the one $6.00 charge. I am happy. Hopefully I get the five extra. then agian, I am not sure I can go. We will see.

17. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit. Now I regret waiting until this morning.

Although when sales slow to a trickle after this performance tonight, maybe they'll need to expand the giveaway.

18. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of you heard confirmation on whether or not you were in the first 1k STH's to get the complimentary extra tickets?

19. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would bet my dog that I was in the first thousand, and I didn't hear anything. I logged in at 955 am and hit refresh until it showed up and I could purchase. I wouldn't doubt if I was in the ten.

20. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got nothing yet and i ordered around 11:30 am...

BUT, in my order history i only see the service fee and the prepaid parking... not the ticket order.

21. polaris04

polaris04 Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Lehigh Valley
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Same here. I called my ticket rep (for a different matter, but was going to bring this up) but he's outta the office until Wednesday.

22. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my ticket rep was let go or left or something... his email no work anymore (Greg Imming)

23. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same here, although the Season Renewal Page does say "U.S. OPEN CUP THIRD ROUND - Completed. Thank you for paying your application in full. If you have any questions, please call the ticket office."

24. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh-oh, did Coach find out we can get Al Money for ticket reps, too? Is no one safe?

cwelch999, UnionDues and OwlSaver repped this.
  25. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is interested, the Rochester-Brooklyn game is being streamed online at uslnation.com. The feed is fairly good and there are announcers.