The ultimate referee watch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Yale, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks interesting and it might be my next generation watch but right now the technology is new and the price is high so I will pass. I still have a working Casio ref timer and a garmin watch. Plus another Casio ref timer that has never been opened so I am set for the moment. :D

2. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    The model number is ADP3076, and for you fine American folk, I just saw a bunch available on US Amazon for ~$55 here.

3. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I just instantly bought this. Thanks for the heads up. I might actually retire my Casio RFT-100...

Garmin 210 for GPS,Chrono, Backup on one arm, this on the other. Saweeeeet.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  4. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Meh. Wake me up when this one is invented...

[​IMG]

Add a stylus and the right app, and kiss your data wallet goodbye (maybe the cards too!)

5. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Stylus? Step away from your Palm Pilot and walk away! This is the age of multi-touch and gestures, my friend, check your stylus at the door. *

*Except for silly Samsung and their phablets

6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Another use of the banned (by me) "meh". What is wrong with you people? ;);)

7. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I guess you've never tried to sign your name (or write words) with your finger :D

9. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Um, yeah, all the time. In fact my customers sign their names with their fingers on tablet when I accept credit cards...

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I like the look of that watch too, but once the timer is complete, it does not start counting up- it just stops. You can set it to immediately start another countdown timer after one finishes.

11. isai2

isai2 Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
  12. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  13. isai2

isai2 Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
  14. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Right, I bought the Adidas ADP3076 mentioned above, has all of the same functions as this one, except NO VIBRATE. Rats. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me!) Is vibrate on the ADP3121 worth $70 more, up to you.

I must say, I'm not a fan of the start/lap button being on the bottom face of the watch. I've started and or paused when I wasn't meaning to after only two outings with it. I tend to put my hands behind pre-game and during breaks (vs my pockets!), and this pushes the button when I'm not expecting.

Referee Timers (10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45): are count UP timers with chime at the end (1 short 1 long), and then it keeps going counting up. Displays stoppage time in mini-timer below main timer (this is good) Read a Chrono that stops at a predetermined time.

Timer (you set it): is count DOWN timer, with chime (until you stop it) at the end. Clock stops at zero. Timex Ironman timers chime at zero, and keep going.

Ergonomics: it is fairly thick and heavy for what it is. You know it is there. Fit, well it seems to be all about looks, it doesn't fit/wrap around my wrists all that well. But it looks good and looks the part.

Chime: well, I'm programmed at this point for vibrate (is there a song in that somewhere), Sunday I did miss hearing the chime (Women's College friendly) in a fairly quiet stadium. Only missed it by 15 sec. I did hear it in a youth final with a bunch of excited parents as we went to kicks. So...

Haven't used any other functions yet.

Now if I could only recognize a foul as well as I can tell time... ;)

15. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    It does vibrate. I bought one as well and I have it set to vibrate, no alarm. Put it on the main time/date mode, then press and hold set/light to set the time. Then press mode to cycle past the time and date, then the 12/24 hour setting, then the date format, then the next one is vibrate/alarm/both.

16. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Wow, I tried, but when I get there the E and D button don't do anything, it just sits there with SOUND blinking. E and D cycle through values on all but this screen. Maybe it is defective?

17. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    All set, did a factory reset. WOW, that opened up a bunch of settings hidden before.

UPDATE: (sorry for the mis-information above, I blame the company I bought it from as they dumbed it down, factory reset is glorious).
    Vibrate: does work (sound-only, sound+vib, vibrate only)
    Timer: can set to stop, repeat, continue. Vibrates till you stop it.
    Referee Timer: got that right except it does vibrate (1 short, 1 long) large display shows running time, small display below counts up added time.

Now I like this watch, and only the easy to start/stop button on the face is problematic.

Given that, why would anyone buy the ADP3121 for $70 more? (that might be why this company dumbed down my ADP3076 so it wouldn't vibrate...)

I owe Ticky and Yale a pint at the pub. :coffee:

Scrabbleship repped this.
  18. isai2

isai2 Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I really appreciate the review from a user of the watch. I have always use a Timex Ironman, but would like to move to a more referee watch. The only reason I can see for the more expensive version is the inverted display (black background with white numerals). Which would make the watch much easier to read, but I do not think worth $70.

19. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    campbed gives you a review and a follow up review in the posts above. The inverted display is not the only reason to go with that watch and if that's all you wanted, Timex does make an Ironman model with the inverted display.

20. isai2

isai2 Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Sorry, if I was not clear. I was thanking campbed for his reviews.

What are the other reasons to use the 3121 over the 3076 outside of the display? I am having trouble locating the differences on line.

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'll question the value of the invereted display (though it may look cool, that's a different issue) -- everything I've ever seen says that human eyes read dark lettering on light background better than light on dark.

22. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Gotcha, sorry.

As far as the inverted display goes, I have it on my Timex watch and another GPS watch. I think it's cool and sometimes easier to read, but if you do any games at night its not fun. Of course you still have the night light, but its still less than ideal.

23. isai2

isai2 Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks for the responses. This was the first time I had noticed the display. It seems for the price the 3076 may be the best one. Although, I do like the look of the 3121 better.

24. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I purchased the cheaper model a couple weeks ago (only had a chance to use it twice in-game), but from what I researched online beforehand, the only differences I found between the two were obviously the black/white display and on the more expensive one, you could have the referee timer count up from 45 mins to 90 for the second half.

25. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    #50 Bradley Smith, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I just got the ADP3120 (same as the ADP3121, but with the black on white screen and white stripes on the straps). Appears to have no vibrate function at all and no way to turn off the beeps when you press any buttons. How do you do a reset? Or in this situation, is there more differences between these watches than there appears to be?

EDIT: Apparently the watch doesn't support vibrating at all in referee mode! Anyone else have one of these ADP3120 or ADP31XX models?