The Truth about the 2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by Fernando_Bayern_BR, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry guys but I had to post this article here for you guys. Very good read.

I apologize for any mistakes, as I translated myself

Source (in Portuguese): http://www.espn.com.br/post/325303_2014-a-copa-que-o-brasil-ja-perdeu

2. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I knew something was up as soon as I saw the WC 2014 logo.

Fernando_Bayern_BR repped this.
  3. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That logo symbolizes the reaction and opinion of the majority of the brazilian population.

4. Nimreitz

Nimreitz Member+

Jun 25, 2003
    I think you will pull everything together in time. Even Greece and South Africa eventually got their act together just in time, if Brazil can't it will be incredibly shameful.

5. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gets said before every single world cup and Olympics. For a Brazilian, you really don't have any pride or faith in your country Fernando.

6. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's not the issue that the preparations are behind schedule which agitates the Brazilian people but the enormous amount of money that has been wasted or basically misused by corrupt politicians and their friends in the industry.

7. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully no harm comes to anybody because of "cutting corners".

8. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    THIS !!

Guys, I really don't give a f@ck about the "event" ... I don't care if everything will be good to go when June '14 comes ...

The thing is, a LOT of money is being stolen, a lot of people are being disapropriated from their home to build stadium (only in Porto Alegre, 5000 families lost their homes), there are a lot of useless contructions going on in the cities, and what we really need, what we would use AFTER the world cup is over, like subway lines (only 1 city in Brazil (São Paulo) has a decent subway network that covers the majority of the city, like better highways, better airports, better public transportation in general, Rail lines conecting most big cities, nothing of this is being done while a lot of money goes down the drain ...

How to you explain that a REFORM of Stadium Cost more tahn building a new stadium from scratch ??

The total cost of the reformation of the Maracanã is 360m euros ... The total cost to build the Allianz Arena for example, as around 300-32m euros ... The reformation of my city's stadium, costed 280m euros ... Everybody knows that a good amount of this money goes to the Politicians and Fifa's pockets ...

humin12 is easy for is to say ... You don't live here ... ;) ... Yes, I'm ashamed of my country, and that is WAY before the WC being announced here. I dare to say, there's no country in the world more corrupt than Brazil, and what saddens me is that, we could be a World Power, if we wanted, but is easier fo fill your own pockets than to solve a mess ...

If I had the money and the opportunity I would have left this god forsaken land a long time ago ...

9. Nimreitz

Nimreitz Member+

Jun 25, 2003
    How much money do you think was stolen in South Africa though? Probably even more.

10. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, but certainly a lot of money was stolen, and it wasn't right then and it isn't now ...

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  11. Nimreitz

Nimreitz Member+

Jun 25, 2003
    Just wait for Qatar!

12. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a scandal what those sheiks are doing with our oil! :laugh:

13. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Deutschland will be hoisting the cup as the stadium crumbles around them? Perfect....:thumbsup:

14. Bialo Czerwoni

Bialo Czerwoni Red Card

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Very interesting read. I was actually considering going to Brazil since I already live on the same side of the hemisphere but I figured there would be a better time than when massive tourism is expected: higher cost and I hate being treated like a foreigner.

15. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can clearly see where Fernando is coming from. Yes, there are problems now - and yes, we may all think that the situation has been exaggerated when the event comes around and it is actually a resounding success.

Well that is how we will see it as outsiders, anyway. We'll watch the the tournament, enjoy the football, and ask each other what all the pre-event fuss was all about.

What we won't be doing is watching what happens afterwards. The legacy. The debt. The fact that it probably hasn't changed anything for the better for the local people living in these places. That some people have have been rehomed because of the development. That corrupt local politicians will continue to grow fat on the spoils. Nah, it was a great tournament, end of story.

I have connections in South Africa and can tell you that the legacy is not great. ANC politicians made a mint out of the whole shebang, and many stadiums will take a long time to recoup the amount that was spent on them. Life for local people has not changed. The spike in business was temporary, and thing have just gone back to the way they were. Tick tock, tick tock.

Soccer City in Soweto has started to be used for the occasional international rugby fixture, but for rugby fans the place to be will always be Ellis Park. Likewise in Durban, where Moses Madhiba is these days only seen as part of the background when rugby matches are being played at King's Park.

Look at what's happening in Sochi as well, as Russia prepares for the Winter Olympics. It's not at all pleasant.

16. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just seen an excellent BBC documentary featuring Romario on this very subject. Very enlightening, and I wish the guy luck in exposing the corruption and waste.

18. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I must say, for the 1st f@cking time in my life I'm proud to be brazilian !!

http://rt.com/news/brazil-clashes-protests-football-799/

This is going on in every major cities in Brazil ... Finally the people are standing up for themselves agains this corrupt government !!! FIFA will regret the day they chose Brazil for a World Cup, they thought we would bend over while they and our government screw us ... Think again !!!

Today there are around 50.000 people protesting in my city alone, and I will soon join them !!

DerChef, NUFCBayern, nekkibasara and 2 others repped this.
  19. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is what going on right now on at the National Congress in the capital Brasília

[​IMG]

20. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    This might be a bit unrelated but I find it very harsh how people keep slagging off Qatar's 2022 World Cup host bid because of possible corruption and scandalism even though the country is more than capable of hosting such big events, have the financial capabilities to make it happen, and also have the desire to bring it to their country. Yet Brazil makes a mess out of their preparations for the World Cup with all the problems in terms of infrastructure and stadiums but no one wants to criticize that just because it's Brazil.

XxXsoccer_fanXxX, NUFCBayern and Matakos repped this.
  21. SoccerMIGermany

SoccerMIGermany Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    OC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Qatar's problems are a combination of anti-islamic prejudice, multi-culturalism and the treatment of women, and strict alcohol policies. I predict that the last one will be the biggest threat, the first will be the hardest nut to crack, and the cultural sexism will get ignored as usual.

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am Arab and even I don't want it in Qatar..,,

TBH after reading about all the bad things from brazil, this has got to be the worst 3 picks in WC history...

Brazil (which I thought would be beautiful)
    Russia ( do we even need to discuss the corruption, racism, hooliganism and thugs?)
    Qatar (last place to host a party for a month)

23. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Protests against the government earlier today in my city (Belo Horizonte)

24. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

I'm looking forward for the WC in Quater, can't see why Quater is the last place to host a party for a month?

25. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is illegal to sell, possess, or consume alcohol in Qatar.

Dhajj repped this.