The Transfers' Discussion Thread | "Sandro, Javi got us a CB yet????"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Sport is reporting that Barca might be close to signing Agger from Liverpool for 15m. That’s too much imo.

2. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have always liked Agger, how is his fitness level though?

3. Henke

Henke Member

Feb 25, 2008
    La Côte
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Curious rumour although I would love Agger, just can't see him leaving Anfield...Moutinho rumours as well

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agger signing would make sense, he would not be that expensive and is a good defender, I also think he would jump at the chance to join Barca and Liverpool will probably want to recoup some of the money that have wasted, sorry spent, on their signings from last season and this summer.

Can't see the Moutinho one, think he would be far too expensive.

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So many rumours around that kinda hard to say what's gonna happen. Some names/prices thrown around seem good deals, some too expensive.

Less than three weeks til the first Liga match, so one would hope that what happens, happens soon-ish.

6. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't worry, there will be plenty more roumurs between now and the start of the season. :D

7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agger wouldn't be a bad transfer, if we paid 10 million. I agree, 15 million is a too much.

8. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There's a pic of a 10 year old Agger in his beloved Barcelona shirt :)

Did I see something about the transfer window closing next week !!!!???

9. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Found it?
    [​IMG]

10. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, we'll judge at the end of summer, but anyone else feel like the club did not plan the CB search very well going into the transfer season?

The assumption seemed to be, "we'll just sign Thiago Silva or Javi Martinez", and, when it turned out they we're going to cost too much money, we didn't really have a plan B.

11. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad thing is that we should have seen this coming in 2011. Puyol was injured (and aging) and Abidal just recovered from cancer. Neither of them should have been considered sure things.

12. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agger isn't coming to Barcelona. He might be one of the 40 or so players researched by the technical department, but there's been nothing from the club to suggest a bid is imminent. Manchester City are the only club said to have made a formal approach.

I still say Vasco's Dede is perfect for Barcelona. He is old enough to make the jump, yet still young enough to give a club over a decade worth of service. I believe Barcelona training, combined with his natural physical skills, could make an unbelievable defender and set piece threat. Dede and Lovren are my top two CB candidates.

The main issue with Dede would be the non-EU slot, and Lovren would have the same thing. I don't know if they'd change that for Lovren once Croatia becomes EU next summer. That is certainly worth noting given the intent to sign Neymar at some point within the next year.

13. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Barca want a defender who is experienced, not too costly and can also play with the ball at his feet. Obviously the not-to-expensive bit is probably the hardest of those criteria to satisfy. Agger would be a good fit but it just seems like another name the papers come up with (and today's player is Song, tomorrow it will be someone else). Martinez at the moment is far too expensive, although I wouldn't be that surprised if a deal is sorted out eventually. But yeah, given that Puyol is 34 and injury prone and we don't know when Abidal is likely to come back, you would have thought they might have planned it a bit better. I don't think Silva was every a realistic option, given both the fee and wages that would have involved I think that was always out of the clubs reach. We've got another month of this to go, so I would suggest we sit back, take the 65 different players we will be linked with in Sport and El Mundo with a pinch of salt and wait and see what happens.;)

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post, I don't know the players you mention but it certainly got me thinking about who our current non-EU players are. Adriano, Alves, Messi, Masch, and JDS were all born in the Americas but all have been in Europe for many years so who has gotten citizenship already? Sanchez has spent less time in Europe (just 3 seasons) so I assume he is one of (if not the only) non-EU players.

I feel like we really used to discuss this topic as we were up against the limit and/or GDS and R10 each got their dual EU citizenship while with FCB a few years ago and that was newsworthy as it allowed us to sign another non-EU player.

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masch and Messi both claim EU through Italian heritage/passports. Alves gained EU through his time at Sevilla originally. Alexis was a youth player at Udinese. After leaving Chile, but was loaned out back to South America and would not qualify. Adriano qualified at Sevilla.

os_mutante, Gilmango and unclesox repped this.
  17. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kolpak ruling also exempted a lot of previously non-EU players from being counted as non-EU.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

os_mutante and Gilmango repped this.
  18. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think the not-too-expensive criteria is actually a problem, like, there are lots of quality CBs around who'd cost somewhere between 10 and 20. We don't need to spend trillions on "the new Puyol" this summer, some less expensive, more experienced CB to give us 3-ish seasons would do just fine.

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An old piece from a great website whose biggest flaw is that new posts are few and far between; posted here as it sings Javi Martinez's praises: http://www.runofplay.com/2011/11/22/generalissimo/

Speaking of Javi, he is not even on the bench today as Bilbao plays its first Europa League qualifier (round 3) vs. Slaven Belupo Koprivinica of Croatia. He of course was part of the Olympic squad so that's no surprise, but means he is not cup tied in any way. (Which reminds me of the hilarious time when Real signed Lass and Klass at the same time, only to find they could only play one in the CL as both had played UEFA Cup already).

The latest CB rumor is that Barca intends to see how well Bartra can cope against the likes of Ibra and Rooney (in the upcoming friendlies) to see if they really do need to buy a replacement.

20. Henke

Henke Member

Feb 25, 2008
    La Côte
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Left out by Liverpool and the player's agent said the player is settled and healthy, so the club is definitely shopping the player

I too would love Dedé but that's not going to happen very easily...plus, I doubt Tito would be confident of a player who is unproven in Europe to provide depth in the short term

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dede recently signed an extension so doubtful he's coming to Europe any time soon.

Irregardless of Bartra's performance, we should sign a CB and imo it doesn't necessarily have to be some big splashy expensive guy. We need depth.

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The reality is the club can't afford to spend big on a defender. I get the impression Liverpool are looking to move him on, hence him not being in the squad for the game tonight. Liverpool have spent a lot of money and are looking to recoup some of that outlay so that one could happen.

23. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Agger didn't play in yesterday's Europa League game with Liverpool citing injury as being the reason why. His agent denied that Daniel is injured and says that is false in every way.

Might mean he is open to talking to other clubs at this time and is trying to remain eligible for CL football this season by not playing in the Europa League qualifiers. I would certainly welcome him here, but for no more than 19ME.

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think given the silly transfer fees that are being paid at the moment, given he is 27 an established international and has played at a high level for a number of years that is a pretty reasonable amount.

25. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    15m for Agger is reasonable. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Also: when Barcelona is shopping for a player for the first team, they very rarely are under, say, 12mils. He is 27, so will be able to contribute - in relation to his age alone - some four or five years. The need to sign is a very real one, and he is proven quality. If we got him for 12 or 13 great, but given that we are unlikely to sign anyone else after him (AFAIK), sealing a deal of around 15 for a CB like Agger would make this a solid transfer season.

OUT: Keita (and essentially Abidal).
    IN: Alba, Agger/someone like him.

-> depth and quality everywhere, no stupid amounts of money paid.

Henke repped this.