The Transfers' Discussion Thread : "Never Say Neymar"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i don't think RVPs age alone is a deal-breaker. it might actually be a good thing.
    i don't know what you're saying about villa, he's been great for the most part. henry also had his moments that more than justified his signing.

the fact that these players are older can be seen as a plus in barca's case because of the talents coming through la masia. players like tello and cuenca now, and deulofeu and dongou in the future will benefit from the fact that these players are older - they can serve as mentors and will only be in the team for a short term, eventually making way for the youth. think of the mentor-student relationships that we've seen in guardiola-xavi, ronaldinho-messi, xavi-thiago, henry-bojan, and others.

i'm not arguing in favour of RVP, i'm just don't think his age alone would rule him out. I would, however, avoid him just to keep the arsenal fans out of this forum:p

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't know. That was a lot of money for what turned into a bench player 1 year after he arrived (he didn't even start the clasico before he got injured). The same would happen with RVP probably (if he even lasts that long before getting injured).

There are enough veterans on the squad (at every position) for the young players to look up to.

3. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Villa was a good deal. He was expensive, but he has played well enough.

4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think Villa was pricey but overall a good investment. In the end he scored decisive goals last season, both against LPB and Man U that were key to the titles we won.

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa in summer 2010 was OK, high price but a quality talent who fit right in from working with so many of our players on the NT.

What was really horribly expensive was not signing Villa the year before in 2009 and instead signing the much more expensive Ibra largely because Inter was willing to give us some financial credit for moving Eto'o in their direction (something I think neither Valencia nor Eto'o were willing to do). Even with the Eto'o "credit" we still paid more for Ibra IIRC than Valencia ever required for Villa.

Had we signed Villa in 2009 we just might be looking at trying for a 4th CL IN A ROW this year, who knows. Not that Ibra was a total flop just an expensive as heck player who ultimately stopped trying to fit in with the rest of the team and coach.

6. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    The main thing imo about Van Persie is him able to fit into our system is a question mark, and no just because he played at Arsenal doesn't mean he will. Also his age and him being prone to injury are things going against him. While Villa and Afellay are coming but lets keep giving the youth more playing time.

City :cool:

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great proven forwards command a premium in the transfer market, there's just no two ways about it anymore.

There's always a risk of injuries but even with them I think Villa will end up being a decent investment. My hope is that he comes back strong next year, has a good fourth year, and either the next year or further down the road he can become that elder statesman on the bench who can come in and be a spark on the forward line a la Larsson. With a renegotiated contract, of course. ;)

8. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with the news that we have four transfers from La Masia lined up this summer, that takes us to a complete roster of 25 first team players (currently the only open numbers are 12, 18, 19, and 25).

Which means that we're unlikely to see any big signings this summer. And suggests that we may actually be selling players.

So who's likely to leave? Keita, Afellay, Fontas? Will Pep actually take a full roster instead of the bare minimum?

9. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Villa was suffering with an injury (a stress fracture, I think?) in the same leg this year before the injury - I think that is why he didn't start the clasico in the Bernebeu. His form had definitely dipped but it didn't seem to me that he's lost it (like you could see Henry had the season before he left).

10. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big no to RVP. Classic case of a media smoke storm.

As for Neymar, I have the following to say:

Gerard Deulofeu.

11. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afellay will leave for sure. The emergence of Cuenca and Tello renders him surplus.

Fontas could be offered up for a loan and potential future buy back/first option like Romeu.

I think Keita still has a place in the team. He is an important presence, and Pep loves him. For the right price though, you certainly consider the option to sell.

Adriano could be allowed to leave. Jordi Alba is the name most closely linked with Barca right now, and that may or may not have anything to do with Adriano.

Aside from Alba, I think the two most important needs are:

CB (one good enough to push and rest Pique-Puyol).
    Goal scorer (preferably with physical qualities closer to Sanchez than Villa- only taller ideally, someone who can offer speed/movement and pressing)

Unqualified rumors have linked Barcelona with Ivory Coast/CSKA Moscow striker Seydou Doumbia. CSKA Moscow apparently announced they will sell him (23 million euro market value, transfermarkt) and so now he's linked with teams short on forwards.

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyone think Barca are serious about Gareth Bale?

13. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If Doumbia knocks LPB out of the CL this week, the door to Camp Nou is open. ;)

As for your other predictions, they all seem reasonable, and I agree on the scale of changes we are likely to see in the summer.

I think Pep will revamp the squad a bit in the areas where we are aging or don't have adequate cover. Especially a premier CB to compete with Piquè, who is looking very complacent this season and needs to know his position as starter is not a given.

14. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Barca seriously rates him as a player, but he's not realistic as a purchase when you can buy a cantera product like Alba for a fraction of the cost (Alba valued around 10 m euro).

15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't see how he'd fit in tactically. His main asset is dribbling at speed down the wing. You need to be a quick counterattacking team to give him space to do his thing, as Spurs has.

In a Barça tiki-taka system, that space behind opponents' defenses would be severely shrunken down since we advance more methodically.

Bale seems a quality player, but in the CR7 mold. Like KluivertsBoots said, our money is better spent on others.

There's a slight possibility of Redknapp becoming England manager, and Mourinho moving to Spurs in the summer. In that case, I see him keeping Bale as his new Crissy.

16. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can leverage Milan's supposed interest in Keita (and/or Afellay perhaps) to strike a deal with Thiago Silva, Sí Señor!

Not to pick on Pique, but I see why Fergie cut us such a good deal when watching him defend direct balls (particularly from the flanks). He really struggles on his feet when tracking those types of balls and looks clumsy. Those are an EPL specialty.

Puyi and Masch are essential cover partners for Pique.

17. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Afellay (see my name, bit partial to certain Oranje players), but I don't see how he gets minutes with Cuenca and Tello.

Plus, there won't be minutes for him at CM either with Thiago and JDS. Plus, Sergi Roberto is also there to back up CM.

On top of all of that, you have Deulofeu on a very quick progression. Deulofeu is two years out from permanent first team at most.

Afellay is in his prime years, and needs to play as a Dutch international. I hate the injury happened to him, but he got cantera'd. Arsenal could really use him. RVP said so before we snagged him.

18. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bale needs space in front of him to be effective. Not sure that will ever exist at this Barça.

I don't think we're actively shopping players this summer. I'd hate to see Keita or Afellay leave. But if we got a good bid for either, I think we'd be dumb not to consider it.

19. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I disagree simply based on the motivation factor that has killed this La Liga campaign. We need a hungrier squad, and that means players who want to compete for titles, all titles.

Pep made some decisive changes in his first year, shipping off Dinho and Deco. He almost ditched Eto'o as well in that first summer he took charge. I think he has this mental element of players in mind, especially among those who are hired to score goals.

20. Senior Tigr

Senior Tigr Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Warsaw, Poland
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It's a "broken telephone" type news. CSKA chairman asked if there were any offers for Doumbia said that weren't but he is expecting that there will be some at summer. That it arrived in some English sources as "CSKA is prepared to sell Doumbia in the summer" which quickly transformed to "CSKA wants to sell Doumbia in the summer".
    While the second statement was not false even after mistake in the translation - CSKA is prepared to sell any of their players if the price will be high enough (i.e. really high), the last one definitely is.

21. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    http://discussions.ghanaweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=147501
    Spanish giants Barcelona are watching Ghana defender Daniel Opare with the view of signing the right-back in future.

According to reports in the Spanish media, the Catalan giants are sending their scouts to his Belgian club Standard Liege.
    The report in the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo says Barça scouts will be sent to Belgium from this week to see Opare and two Liege players in action.
    Opare was part of Ghana’s team at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations but he could not get some playing time during the tournament in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
    Despite that setback, the 21-year-old is considered one of the top players with Standard Liege.
    The young Ghana international was first brought to Europe by Real Madrid before moving onto Standard.

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a pure rumor, we have Alves, Adriano backs up both fullback spots with lots of experience, and Montoya is a pure right back, is 20, is being promoted to our first team this summer, and is considered to have twice Opare's value on transfermarkt. My guess is Opare's agent is spreading a Barca rumor to generate other team's interest in Opare.

23. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Exactly, I don't see him fitting into Barca's system either.. Brilliant player though.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Forget Neymar if you want a forward who is very comfortable playing wider get Lavezzi. He said he would like to play in La Liga.

25. Fc_Porto

Fc_Porto Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Porto
    you guys should try to buy those linesman and refs who keep giving madrid penalties and sending opposition off just to make the league fair