The Trainer's Table: 2012 Injury Update Thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SuperElf, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shellas has a system?

I don't think telling your players to go out to the match and see who can do the stupidest thing possible to cost us points qualifies as a system....

2. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little 12 year old girl...OMG
    http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2012/6/26/3119059/tuesday-mls-injury-update

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A July 4th sub? Surely not....unless?

4. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ferreira's back next week...?

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David's coming back on the fourth, even if only as a 10-15 minute sub. Praise whatever higher power you believe in!! Blas is supposed to be good for 90 too. If FCD is going to turn around the season, it starts on the fourth, or it doesn't start at all.

And either way, the best news of all is that Ferreira will be back on the field. Practically brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it after all these dang trials and tribulations.

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stoked... Finally after (how long as he been out?) like five years?

7. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Depressing article re: Ugo on 3rd degree.

Strange how we all subconsciously consider an injury to the most important organ relatively minor in comparison to broken bones and torn muscles in athletics.

Id like to see Ugo, John, Hedges, Pertuz, hell every player in the league with the balls to not back down in an aerial battle sporting one of those silly looking caps

8. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we consider them (concussions) minor or is it just the massive uncertainty of the injury and time table for recovery?

9. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I know and related to your point ....can you really EVER recover, or do you recover enough to be able to play?
    The whole thing is shrouded in uncertainty but beyond that consider this

99% of people* (the true 99% btw) don't have even a basic grasp of how the brain works (i.e the functions of the left / right brain). Now if you don't have that basic "knowledge of self" then how can you even comprehend the danger inherent in a damaged brain? Hell without said knowledge you cant even recognize the problems of having your undamaged brain get/remain out of balance. (too MUCH left brain, too little right brain and vice versa)

But enough with the esoteric as my point is mainly that there should be no stigma associated for wearing headgear.
    It would be nice to see Ugo and John start wearing one upon their returns and it would be good for the sport for more players to start preemptively protecting the most important organ of their body....and by that I mean they should also be wearing cups :p

10. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think eventually every player will be required to wear said caps, previous concussion or no. As they should.

11. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    In a recent youth game, I had to visit with a trainer doing a concussion test. He stated that there is no clear evidence that those Peter Czech helmets provide any protection against concussion. Czech wears his helmet because of a skull fracture as a sort of exoskeleton. It doesn't do a thing to prevent the brain from getting bruised from a blow.

If we want a safe working environment for our players, the refs and the league need to crack down on dirty thuggish play. As well, players need to be trained from an early age the safest techniques for aerial challenges.

FlashMan repped this.
  12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I heard he was cleared to play without it, it's just a psychological thing at this point.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been lightly discussed before, but I'm now seriously questioning the training staff with regards to injury diagnosis and recovery plans/methods. It seems like every mechanical injury recovery continues to push weeks past the initial reports. Now I know the "reports" are just a tongue lashing at times to answer a question and as a club you need to hold valuable information back, but by Perez's own account (tweets) it didn't seem like he planned to be out this long. What the hell is going on out there?
    http://www.3rddegree.net/2012/07/02/john-questionable-perez-50-50-for-toronto-game/

cowtown repped this.
  15. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay people, here's your methodology: Track every injury related story for the last three years or so, take down the number of injuries and the number of separate instances of delayed recovery. Then do the same for the other MLS teams with 3 years of history, and compare the ratios.

Hop to it, I'm waiting for the answers. :D

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you! :p

17. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Odd that all of this keeps happening with Josh Watts in charge considering he's been with the club for a long time. Wonder if the blame could really be rested on his shoulders at all or if this really is just the worst luck since the English national team.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be leaning towards the latter, since he'd been with the club for a while and we weren't having these sorts of issues until this season.

burning247 repped this.
  20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Rufiolo

Rufiolo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anything else going to happen this season? You know, while we're bent over and everything...

23. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well get that prostate exam out of the way while we are in the position. :eek:

24. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This news makes me view the JDG trade a little differently. Was there any indication that this was a 6 week injury? We are desperate for forward help now. Playing Brek out of position is painful to watch and we have all said that it is not working.

25. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All courtesy of Todd Date at 3rd...
    Jackson
    Hedges
    Villar
    Perez
    The comments in the Perez article are appalling, and while I never wish anyone be out of work, makes me glad we made the change at head trainer.