The "Totally More Random Comments, Questions, and Thoughts" Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure...

here is the link

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I reckon the author doesn't know either. Both measure are averages.

I'll wager that this average (as in mean) earnings are massively skewed by the multi-millionaire incomes of footballers and higher-- wherever you are.

The median-- which is less influenced by outliers and a more credible average than the mean-- would be a better measure.

3. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    That is absolutely true from a humanities standpoint. The worth in your example is the value of human health, which is of course not something one can easily assign a monetary value to (in my opinion that's impossible - although some economists do so by projecting the productivity/income of said person into his life expectancy).

The problem I think is that while the value of the doctor, in a humanities context is higher than that of a footballer, in a financial context it would be not. Since both individuals would be viewed by The Business (emphasis on capital 'B') as means of production, with specific revenue streams. Since the revenue streams produced by top footballers are obviously higher than those of doctors they are thus considered more valuable.

So the shrewd capitalist, who will obviously only consider value in a financial context will probably contest what you're saying. And I in turn would contest what he is saying. ;)

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's just markets, simple as. Nobody would ever be charged hundreds of thousands to go to a football game, but could be for some very serious surgeries. But doctors can only deal with one patient at a time; if there was a way for a doctor to simultaneously cure (or at least see to) millions of people at 3pm every Saturday for a two hour span, that doctor would be one of the richest people in the world.

5. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    BOOM!

That's the example I like to give myself.

I'm not a communist or a Marxist but I am also categorically opposed to the idiotic "cowboy capitalism" witnessed since the 80s. Fcuking reagan and that cvnt thatcher made such a mess of economics... Them and their mentors/followers/other loonies.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's say that a top cardiac surgeon performs 500 operations per year and of the 500, 300 survive and average 250K in earnings. that represents 75M in earnings. over the span of a 25 year career, that's nearly 2 billion in (saved) earnings. that's assuming that the 300 that survived the operations would have died otherwise but lived another 8 years and earned 30K per year. my estimates are low.

viewed from that perspective, no football player would generate an equal amount of revenue.

7. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    You're preaching the the choir homie. :)

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Partly true. Teachers, though, are able to teach more than one person per hour but get paid significantly less than their marginal contribution to value. It has also to do with the structure of the markets. There is invariably one buyer (payer) for the services of a teacher/doctor/nurse, i.e. some government or private provider while there are potentially many for a footballer (and top bankers).

ScholesyLFC repped this.
  10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, this is true also - and I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that most teachers are underpaid, despite it being the time of the year where we all hate and envy them. :p

owian and liverbird repped this.
  11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Spoiler...!!!! :)
    That's not on here until next Monday

jeffcoop repped this.
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There is a [R] in the thread title. :D

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Headed to the Outer Banks for 7 days of R&R (Corolla, NC) starting Saturday - hoping it's as fun as everyone promises.

(will be out there for the start of the season - BUT - thanks to the new NBC TV rights - I can watch the game on the iPad! Love it!)

poopoobigelow repped this.
  15. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i was down at nag's head in june. the weather was perfect.

sundogs is a good place in corolla, as is uncle ike's. pizzazz pizza is pretty good, too. they used to have a lunch buffet.

newterp repped this.
  16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent thanks - I will let folks know this especially given that Saturday is Pizza night since no one is going to want to cook after driving 5+ hrs.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Are you guys speaking English? :D

poopoobigelow repped this.
  18. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    no such thing as a 'lunch buffet' in oz? it provides the restaurant patron with an infinite helping of an assortment of foods.... and heart disease.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh no- we get the buffet down here. ;)

I was more referring to the fact Corolla is a car, whats nag's head, or outer banks or sundogs etc? :)

20. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    yeah, i figured y'all had the buffet. you guys are fat, too, right? i mean, as a nation? it's not just the US and UK, i'm sure. although, if i remember my 'Neighbors' and my 'Crocodile Dundee' correctly, there aren't too many fatties on Ramsay Street, nor the outback.

the big beach resort area for the mid-atlantic of the US is called the Outer Banks. it's a long barrier island off the coast of North Carolina. the island has a bunch of little 'towns', which is just an area of the beach that pass into each other: Corolla, Duck, Nag's Head, Kill Devil Hills, and if you know your aviation history, Kitty Hawk, where the Wright Brothers flew the first maned, powered aircraft. it's a cool place.

sundogs and uncle ike's are bar & grills. bars & grill? bars & grills.

liverbird and el-capitano repped this.
  21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We're not quite up with you guys, but getting there. ;)

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/4883...still-high-obese-nation-list.htm#.UgR-gDne95g

Top 10 Obese Countries:
    1. Mexico (32.8%)
    2. United States (31.8%)
    3. New Zealand (26.5%)
    4. Chile (25.1%)
    5. Australia (24.6%)
    6. Canada (24.2%)
    7. United Kingdom (23%)
    8. Ireland (23%)
    9. Luxembourg (22.1%)
    10. Finland (20.2%)
    And I totally had to google North Carolina- that's one of those little states which isn't well known to us.

See, I thought the Kitty Hawk was the name of their plane, not the place where they did it. You learn something new every day. :)

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now this is a turn up for the books.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/man-created-own-credit-card-164106734.html

USvsIRELAND and B.A. repped this.
  23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Actually Poo meant the "First US" manned flight.
    The worlds first manned flight comes from down under in NZ. Controlled by ailerons and rudder. (not from bendy wings and duct tape) and using a proper undercarriage with wheels, not rails and skids. Richard Pearce built the engine to go with the plane himself, a flat 4 cylinder. It could be used as 2 cycle or 4. supercharged or natural aspiration. Rumour has it that he used cast iron drain pipe bored out. He just didn't have a press director..:)

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html

el-capitano repped this.
  24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week: Ft. Lauderdale Strikers at New York Cosmos. Tonight: New York Cosmos at Tampa Bay Rowdies. I know they're just names, otherwise unconnected to their historical antecedents, but they still call up some pretty powerful memories--old loyalties and loathings.

Kawklee and liverbird repped this.