The top 5 soccer players in the world today

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Izzy9, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pedroinacio

pedroinacio New Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Lisboa
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1. C.Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Falcao
    4. Van persie
    5. Ibra

2. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Today, the best top 5 players are:

1. Messi
    2. Neymar
    3. Cristiano Ronaldo
    4. Falcao
    5. Iniesta

Unfortunately, Neymar will never get the credit he deserves unless he moves to Europe or he outshines everyone in the upcoming world cup AND helps Brazil win it all.

Messi is just incredible. He's about to score about 90 goals for the year and that has never been done before. Things will be interesting in La Liga next year if Cristiano and Mourinho both move to PSG. This would make it possible for Madrid to build a team around Neymar with the help of Falcao and possibly Shaktar's Willian. The head-to-head match-up Messi vs Neymar for years to come would be something out of this world. As good as Messi is right now, I still maintain that Neymar may, someday, surpass him in being recognized as a better player although he may not never break Messi's records.

3. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That will never happen....mark my words.....

Izzy9 repped this.
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What's up with all the lame monikers by Brazilian players these days: Willian, Oscar, Juan, etc. They used to have awesome ones as Falcao, Dirceu, Careca, Alemao, etc.

5. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How can you be so sure? Never say never! I know what Messi has accomplished so far is very impressive. Messi is without a doubt the god of soccer nowadays. However, yes, Neymar has the potential to eclipse him due to all the skills he is equipped with. Will he surpass Messi? Only time will tell.

6. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL! You are right. They are lame these days. If you were watching the world cup in 1986 and you heard the name Careca, you knew that might be the name of a superstar. When you heard the name Zico in the late 70s and early 80s, you were convinced that was the name of a very special player.
    Actually, Oscar is not bad. However, Willian is the worst moniker. Such a good player should be known by a different moniker. LOL

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ozil has not been that great this season. Xavi’s form has a dropped a bit also. My team so far:

-------------Falcao----
    --Ronaldo---Messi-----Iniesta
    ----------Pirlo----Busquets
    Alba---Hummels--Silva---Ivanovic
    ---------------Neuer

8. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How can you be sure that Neymar has all the potential to eclipse Messi?

For the record, I don't think any of the current crop of young talents can eventually/someday surpass Messi. We might not see a players do that for maybe a generation or two. It will be a long time before anyone surpasses Messi, especially the way he is going and going. He can keep going for another 4-5 years, only a serious injury can stop him/slow him down. Every year we all think we've seen the best of Messi and every year he does more and more.

Neymar has the potential to be a great player, but not to surpass Messi IMO. And if he is to realize that potential he needs to be playing in Europe already or sooner than after WC2014.

9. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Neymar will reach the same level as Messi in a couple of years once he goes Europe... But to surpass Messi that means Neymar will have to win FIFA Player Of The year 4-5x, score around 90 something goals a season and win Champions League a couple of times. Id say its possible but not sure if Neymar will do that... OR if Neymar wins the World Cup that will add up to most of the stuff Messi has done for Barcelona.

Messi is only 25 years old and he has done nearly everything except winning a world cup, he is defiantly in my TOP 3 of all time, he is better than Maradona... He just surpassed Gerd Muller's goal record... Messi will hit the 90 goal mark this season thats is crazy.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Messi
    CR7
    Neymar
    Falcao
    Zlatan

IN TOP10"
    Xavi had already passed his best, Iniesta is not that consistent in his form. Yaya and Pirlo got older everyday ... Rooney, Kun, Van Persie , Ribery, Benzama Robben will be tehre in their good form

11. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's wait and see Neymar play even one season in Europe and then we will see....But I don't think that he will reach Messi's level, no way. Plus, Messi raises the level every year up to now. Who knows to what level he will raise it next?

And I don't know how you can put Messi in your Top3 of all-time.......I'm one of his biggest fans here (ask anyone) and he is not even in my All-time Top5.......

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    It's very very hard to reach Messi level of achievement. I agree Neymar will be (Xfingers) recognized as TOP3 best players when he will play in Europe - He has potential to "replace" Messi and CR7 in next following (? fill in number) years ...

13. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar will become better than CR7, but I think reaching the level of Messi will be hard but possible.
    Id say Neymar will be giving Messi competition around 2014 world cup, so in about 2 years time, and thats when I think CR7 will drop out of his prime years.
    What if Neymar wins the world cup? That will bring biggg competition because after that all Neymar has to do is win CL and ballon D'or a couple of times.

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You have to be realistic that Messi did great and his time coincided well with the best Barca team ever in history that had won: 5 Liga + 3 UCL + 2 intercontinental cups (and Messi is still active)

Besides his success with Barca team, individually he won
    - 4x WPOY
    - 2 goldenboot
    - 2liga topscorers

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I wonder what a team picked by the people here would look like... Everyone picks just players that score goals... Also... Robben? Sneijder? they are not even starters on their own team... great pick guys great picks

1- Messi
    2- Thiago Silva
    3- Puyol
    4- Iniesta
    5- Neymar

16. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Messi
    2. Neymar
    3. C.Ronaldo
    4. iniesta

Those are the best today, no one else are as good... But in order for Neymar to challenge Messi he will need to go Europe or win the world cup.