The Tom Cleverley Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I'll predict where I see Cleverly featuring, after the window closes.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This.

We all know how I feel about him but if we do purchase a CM it has serious implications, positive and negative wrt Cleverley's PT.

3. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had be more specific...It would have serious implications if we sign Sneijder.....

4. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who cares about being Physically imposing if you can't put in the hard work to go on with it?

Huddlestone is a big fellow and physically pretty big, but i would rather run against him dribbling than with Fletcher chasing me or standing in front of me.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think you get it. Fletch could be physically imposing if he were stronger or a more fierce tackler. He isn't though. No one would question if Keane was more physical than Viera despite the latter's size advantage.

6. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What i am wondering wrt to Cleverley is how much of a effect will he have on Park's playing time?

7. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, but i disagree with notion that you have to be Strong and imposing to have a effect on the game in terms of intimidation.

Someone like Fletcher who is hardworking and always on the ankles of Arsenal players can have the same sort of effect in a different way as the moaning of Arsene Wenger and a few Arsenal players have pointed out in big matches.
    Say the Nevilles doing the number on them with fierce diving tackles and kicking them had the same sort of effect when we ended their unbeaten run.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    agree to disagree, strength is important. You don't have to be musclebound but you do need to be strong. but regardless, the most important thing is being physical, which Fletcher isn't. He's just persistent. Fletcher is a gnat.

9. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You are taking this a direction I did not intend.

I never implied any notion or idea that you have to be strong and physically imposing to have an effect on a game in terms of intimidation.

I was only talking in reference to Fletcher. There is no steel in his game. However that did not make him any less effective. Read how this convo started.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arsenal is a terrible example to use. They are the embodiment of their manager. Nobody else quite reacts like they do to such situations.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fletcher is not steel. Fletcher is energy. Johno already said it - if he were a proper tackler and whatnot, then maybe. But his energy is what makes him useful to us, not any sort of "steel".

13. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Enjoying the play of Welbeck and Cleverley (been looking forward to watching these guys with the first team since last pre-season). Not a fan of both of their haircuts.

Danny looks like something out of House Party. Tom from the Jersey Shore.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Danny's barber, couldnt even get that right. It looks terrrible. like he did it himself. HE was in NY and he couldnt find a decent barber?

15. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFmIau3ipbU&feature=related"]‪KC and The sunshine band - Give It Up‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Nana nana nana nana na na na, Clever Cleverley Cleverley, Clever Cleverley...

:)

16. Ruud the Dude

Ruud the Dude New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it's way way WAY too premature to be discussing this, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that Clev makes it here and is a starting CM for us in 3-5 years when he's peaked.

What type of partner(s) do you think would be most suitable to his playstyle? Are we looking at a Carrick-type DLP, a Fletcher that harasses and defers to his creatively, or something else entirely?

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    A Martinez or Rodwell who can also play with the ball at their feet comfortably. A two way midfielder. A Vidal would also be nice, in 442 games. But just dreaming.

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Only Arsenal but a very impressive match compilation for young Tom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4P2fnsY9E"]Tom Cleverley vs. Arsenal 11/12 - YouTube[/ame]

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    -:D-

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Shit. That WAS impressive. I knew he had a good game, but it really says something when you put it all together. Man against boys type ish there.

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    That's what I was TRYING to tell you! :D

22. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Billy the Kiddy Muppet? :eek:

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Only on Tuesdays, only on Tuesdays...

24. James178

James178 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Had a good start to the season, let's hope it continues.

25. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you watch this it becomes clear that there really isn't anyone we could have gone out and bought that would be more like Scholes than Tom is right now. And I'm not saying he's nearly as good as Scholes at his best, but in terms of HOW he plays its such a good a good fit for this team that I don't think SAF has much choice but to let him grow into the role.