The Tom Cleverley Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i cant believe he was championed around these parts a little while back

2. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and was their POTY while missing the last month(s) with a knee injury.

3. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Evans was superb in PL too, made Nosworthy look like a decent pl standard defender.

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Don't bother guys.

Cleverley does not has an exotic sounding name like Possebon or Tosic for jeff to wank over.

5. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup. At one point though, he was at the same stage as Cleverley is now. i.e. he'd had his Championship loan and was just starting his PL loan. Assuming you were even loosely responding to me, that was the point I was trying to make. That, and the fact that I don't put much value on loan form anyway, partly because I'm rubbish at judging players whilst they're away at other clubs.

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You are right.

7. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Cleverley? Could he be named a more boring, generic British name? He might as well be called Johny Workhard Smith.

Does he run up and down the wings and bang crosses against defenders too?

Now compare that barbaric banality with someone like Rodrigo Possebon.

Compare that with the way his curly locks bounce in the air as he completes pass after pass, leaving the opposition breathless from chasing shadows.

Can Jimmy FactoryWorker even complete a pass? If he does, it'll probably be straight to the opposition.

What about Zoran Tosic? Someone with a name like that must be of Balkan royalty.

Not to mention his immaculate left foot, speediness and ability to weave in and out of defenders as if he were working on tapestry.

I wouldn't expect Philistines such as yourself to appreciate such things.

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Playing time is very important, players develop alot while getting playing time, its like getting a job after studies, you learn a whole new world to the one you created. And playing time at good level even more.

Take it like this, if he wasnt our player, would u have thought of buying him, just for potential.

9. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QViaYecLWek"]YouTube - MANUTDBR: Gol do Cleverley[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    first time it looked like he curled it. deflection but he did well to make space to shoot

11. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't wait for him to come back here.

12. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Clasic Lampard :p

13. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wonder if he's going to be that sort of player in the end of all things. He gets himself in goal scoring positions very well.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who knows with him. But he's got goals in his boots and an amazing football IQ. I can see him being a super-sub for us because he's so flexible. I'd have no qualms with him playing either flank or CAM for us.

I think that he will absolutely thrive among technical players like we've got at United and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get accepted by the likes of Rooney, Berbatov and Nani quicker than Welbeck because Tom so frequently makes the right decisions in the final third.

It is way early to say it, but he might be the answer to our problems with goals from midfield or the lack thereof.

15. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    let's just hope he gets the chance.. he deserves it.

16. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Let's hope he gets to stay at Wigan till the end of season.

He is definitely the kind of player everyone loves though. Much more easier for the casual fan to see the impact of his game than say Welbeck.

17. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    bit of a forgotten man with all the transfer talk, departures and retirements. I think he's got the character required to make it here and that will do him in good stead. This time 2 years ago, very few had his name on their minds but he's worked his behind off and he's got some talent.

It would not shock me at all to see him as part of the rotation next season and doing well for us - particularly if the big money CM/AM never materializes.

19. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I haven't forgotten him at all. That's why I'm far more concerned about us getting a steel/DM type of player in the midfield, as opposed to the Sahins etc. We have Cleverly. He's shown himself to be a good player with the players at Wigan. With the type of players we have, he'll be even better. I can't wait for him and Danny to stay with us.

20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he can play the 2 midfield role, would love to see him and a new signing in 3.
    ----------------------Carrick*------------Cleverley/Nasri type/Anderson----------
    ---------------------------------Nasri type/Cleverley/Anderson------------

*( he has to be ever present doesnt he in most formations we will post or hopefully Jones can relieve that pressure of him).
    Cleverley and Nasri both are hard working players so that can work imo.

I think he can play 442 with Carrick alongside him, probably need a pegged midfield for him to work with say Fletch.

------------Fletch---------Nasri type/Cleverley-----Nasri type/Cleverley

Maybe Pato Rodriguez is a Nasri type midfielder, we are linked with or Steven Defour.
    If Defour comes in I think he can play with most in a 442 or 433.

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I like Cleverly but some of you guys over-rate how good he is currently.

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No we dont, he is hardly worse than Gibson, have two good loan spells, we think he can be competent player for us and may show us more. And I was that he can, looking at his skill set and playing style, will he is another issue.

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I think Gibson will prove himself to be more than competent at that level once he moves to Sunderland.

It is a lot easier to look better in midfield for a lower tier team where they pack the centre of the pitch than for us in all fairness.

The one thing that is in Cleverley's favour though is that he is a very determined fella.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wigan dont pack their midfield neither did Watford, Malky Mackay at later and Martinez at former are quite attack minded in rigidness formation and style of their teams.
    Or he could be even worse like he was at Wolves.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a little big on him, bigger on him than most, but I think his skill set is less likely to shine on loan as it is with us.