The Tom Cleverley Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  2. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    LGRod repped this.
  3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I don't blame him. I've said it before but Cleverley is a good squad option for a three man midfield. If you dump him in a midfield two you cannot complain when he is weak defensively or unable to do anything in the final third. It is simply not his game. He is a good complementary player who can keep things ticking along and he has a good placed shot but that's it.

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    With all this midfield talk, I wonder if Barca can play with a two man midfield, serious question?

They are the midfield example to the world, or Bayern, but now a days even with top players like that, you cannot play with a two man midfield the game is different the players are different.

5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    why not? we have played with one mid for years.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Barcelona's midfield is on the slide. Xavi in particular has struggled.

7. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Teso talking sense?!? :eek:

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Schweini and Martinez is a very good 2-man midfield.

9. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Put any three man midfield against them, they won't hold up imo. It is pure tactical, not taking away anything from them, blaming Cleverley for playing crap, especially being against three man midfields most of the year, I can't fault him.

10. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    That's not true. A 2-man midfield is not destined to fail against a 3; the reason the former is out of fashion is the lack of quality 2-sided midfielders or midfielders who perform at least 2 functions (at best, there are 10 such midfielders in all in world football who check that).

After all, we did beat Barcelona with Xavi in his prime with Scholes and Carrick without being overrun in midfield.

11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    closing his twitter account is kinda weak sauce tho.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No, we've beaten plenty of 3 man midfield with Scholes/Fletcher and Carrick.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Let me rephrase, I find it very tough for two man midfield against three regardless of quality. Yes you have instances where you are going to win like the examples you mentioned but you generally get my point.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    There are very few two man midfield partnerships in the modern game. Almost all are supporting by a player either behind or ahead of them who offer support.

jeff070 repped this.
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Important to think about the contribution of the wingers, in the Schools/Carrick era we had Giggs & Becks who were industrious and came narrow to help as well as being of sufficient threat to pull the oppo CMs out wider. The current wingers we have are less industrious defensively and less of a threat.

Clevs is not good enough for a two, but is OK in a three in the dynamic energy role. Though maybe as a squadie rather than a starter.

16. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Maybe the best example is Ji-Sung Park... so fans question his inclusion but he is essentially the third midfielder that helps us the 2 CM defensively.

I agree with this. If Moyes insist on the 442/4411, Adnan on the left and Cleverley on the right (playing headless chicken destroyer) would probably work better then the crap we have been watching.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wasnt becks gone by the time scholes and carrick partnered?

tscboys repped this.
  18. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Loooong gone.

This season is obviously taking it's toll on some of our comrades.

sdotsom repped this.
  19. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've stopped thinking about football. I'm just full of Scottish pride and emotion.

johno, Invincible and Teso Dos Bichos repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mixing my timeline horribly, but the point I was trying (badly) to make was that with Scholes/Keane and Scholes/Carrick (before Scholes got too old) we had two players that could hold their own even when playing teams who overloaded against us in the middle. When we had wingers like Giggs (pre-late thirties), Becks followed by Giggs / Ronaldo we had players who either worked hard (Giggs/Becks) or a player like Ronaldo who people had to double up on which made it easier for the guys in the middle.

Fast forward to now and we have a hard-working winger in Valencia who is not enough of a threat and a threat in Young who is not enough of a hard-worker. The two in the middle Carrick plus one other sub-standard are neither good enough to play as a two and also do not get helped by the wingers. Hence the 'polo' or 'ring doughnut' football we have seen the last few years where we just give up the middle and rely on our defence and attack.

Until we move to 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 I think Clevs is of no use to us.

Of course it doesn't help when a young player is told he is not allowed to get ahead of the ball - as soon as you give athletes in any sport strict rules that stop them playing instinctively you are in trouble. This stupid edict from Moyes may go some way to explain his poor performances recently.

Sadly the petition from England supporters for him not to go the world cup will not help his confidence either. Hopefully this will put a bit of fight into him rather than crush him.

21. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    They could petition all they want. They'll get knocked out like they always do; Cleverley or not.

Nathan18 and benni... repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Valencia works hard but it benefits no one, and he is a complete non threat nowadays.

Young doesn't try and he is rarely a threat either.

in terms of improving the team those two are like constantly adding zero across all categories

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  24. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    yeah when i think of cleverly, the first thing that comes to my mind is that he's an absolute genius of a thinker

he clearly doesn't need to adapt to van gaal, aloysius paulus maria needs to adapt to him.

i don't give a **** about what type of skin you've developed, what we want you to develop is a positive midfield game, add in a forward pass or two, and maybe some damn through balls from time to time.

if you can't, then **** off to everton.

25. Nathan18

Nathan18 Member

May 24, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cleverley needs to stop talking and show it on the field. He's just giving people more shit to throw back at him. The amount of hate he's been getting has been at ridiculous levels, but responding through the media is not worth it.