The Tom Cleverley Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    [​IMG]

A thread for us to share our thoughts on Tom Cleverley.

I did not get to see him this week, but vs. Liverpool he played very well. Started out on the wing, then moved central. His touch is amazing. So is his work rate, movement, positioning. He's confident as well.

If we actually commit to a 3 man central midfield, he'd be ideal there. Helps keep the ball moving, opens the field. Gets into good positions in the attacking third.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well now that he is fit and playing again i am almost afraid we will recall him in Jan as was hinted at by SAF and Martínez and then we dont play him much. probably better for him to stay the rest of the season there

3. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we could use him well. In my opinion, he would offer us more than Gibson and Anderson would.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Based on his preseason with us and what I'd seen of him before hand I had wanted him to stay with us. Hopefully he can return and get some playing time but we'll have to get Valencia back in the fold and Nani's form has been excellent so we'll see. If we do play a 433 I think he'd be prime for a spot since he's an actual goal threat and a versatile midfielder too. I think he's a viable option on the wing in a 442 as well. He might actually be the kind of tonic Berbatov needs if he's in the mood.

5. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will be nice to have him back in January. We are lacking a player to control and distribute when Scholes is out and need to have someone who can also provide those qualities and share time w/Scholes.

Hopefully he provides this but only time will tell...

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Tom Cleverley: the rapid rise of United's next star

"I was playing snooker last week when one of the regulars at the club came over," Cleverley said in a part-Mancunian, part-Yorkshire accent. "He had no idea what I did for a living and said, 'You're pretty decent. Do you fancy playing with the snooker team on a Tuesday night?' I laughed, said thanks and told him that I had other commitments."

Cleverley, 21, is unlikely to benefit from such anonymity much longer. His value continues to rise, though an agreement between the two clubs means that he will not be playing for Wigan against United at Old Trafford tomorrow in their Premier League clash.

Sir Alex Ferguson already has said that he plans to bring the versatile Cleverley, who can play anywhere in the midfield, back to Manchester in January.

The United manager said that Cleverley has "outstanding goalscoring qualities" and is a "United-type footballer, who likes to pass and move. He's hungry [and] is a serious professional who has made sacrifices to succeed."

For now, Cleverly is content.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/tom-cleverley-the-rapid-rise-of-uniteds-next-star

-

v. good read.

Did well today, I've heard.

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Wigan's MoM today.

Martinez about Cleverley over the last week

8. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    "Tom's tactical awareness is not normal for such a young man. I don't think we have seen many cases like him before."

His best asset, and the best asset you can be blessed with.

There's no doubt at all he'll make it.

The question then becomes: squaddie, star or superstar?

9. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Depends on whether he has Lampard-esque determination and desire.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think he makes it big, and I can't wait.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So where do you think he end's end long term? In terms of his position.

12. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is always wonderful to watch when a youth player works his way up the ranks and becomes a star.....lets hope he's one of those....

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    His style is ecletic, and his intelligence and movement are something else. That means he can easily slot in as an AM, LM, RM or even in support of a striker.

I reckon he will be slotted in where we have a vacancy initially. i.e the other side to the strongest player available - Nani plays; he goes to the left. Giggs plays, but neither Nani or Valencia start; he goes to the right, and so on, so forth.

If we go 4-3-3, he'll be undertstudy to Giggs and vying for the 2nd in the chain at AM with Park.

Most important thing for him is PT and getting a feel for the service and movement of those around him. He'll always take up optimal positions regardless.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    The problem with being so tactically good is that, when he gets the ball does he have an end product? can he cross with both feet, efficiently in a dangerous area. Can he shoot, does he have an eye for goal?

15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9oRJDOpHW4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9oRJDOpHW4[/ame]

Great finish, keep it up Tommy boy.

16. googoo

googoo Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL :confused:

17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was pretty.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You ask a lot of really dumb questions don't you.

19. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jeff, he scored 11 times for Watford last term.

20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    True, I want to see what he does in the EPL. Ebanks Blake was superb in the Championship, where is he now?

21. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want to see what he does in a United shirt and that's about it.

Evans was superb in the Championship and he's at Manchester United. Richardson was superb in the Premier League for WBA and ended up not reaching our standards.

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Exactly that's my point. I am all for him to be successful, but let's be realistic about his opportunities.

23. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Playing and scoring in the premiership :eek:

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Against us as well. LOL