The Timmaay! Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 5, 2008.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    10th cleansheet of the season at home against West Ham.

Deeneaus repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Everton fell 4-1 today in the FA Cup Quarterfinals to Arsenal. Roberto Martinez stuck with backup goalkeeper Joel Robles, who received less than stellar reviews:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thematch/id/2103?cc=5901

3. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am not sure if this has been posted and I am not sure if this should be posted here. But, I finally got around to read Alex Ferguson's latest autobiography and I was surprised by how little Howard was mentioned since he was the #1 GK for about a season. He was only mentioned twice both in passing. Ferguson talked more about Djemba Djemba than Howard. I wonder why is that? Is it because Howard was such a low maintenance player that there was not anything interesting to say about him?

4. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually just finished that chapter last week. I was wondering the same thing. I think you're right though, he was low maintenance and had a pretty low profile.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    In that case wouldn't he still have said something like "we picked up a really good GK for cheap from MLS. And believe it or not, he's a Yank"

And I'm sure if Howard had played in the FA Cup match and they still lost 4-1, some would have said how unfair it was for Martinez to drop Robles despite he not doing anything wrong. Sucks for Everton and Howard. He's the kinda athlete you feel that really deserves to have way more medals than he currently has.

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I don't understand why Martinez has Everton setting up so deep inside its own box on free kicks. The goal they allowed today was swung into a sea of bodies at the edge of the six and took an unstoppable deflection.

Howard did make one excellent save in the first half, helping Everton win 2-1 (the opposing keeper was phenomenal).

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    3-2 win over Swansea today, Howard saved the day.

Both goals were unstoppable, but two tremendous saves ended up making the difference.

8. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The saves that Hararea was referring to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    3-0 today, sounds like an easy one.

With eight games left to play, Everton are now up to 57 pts. Barring a late collapse, it will post the highest point total it has achieved since the Premiership began in 1992-93. Howard's eight seasons all rank in the top ten.

65 pts 07-08 (Howard in goal)
    63 pts 12-13 (Howard in goal)
    63 pts 08-09 (Howard in goal)
    61 pts 09-10 (Howard in goal)
    61 pts 04-05 (Nigel Martyn in goal, 23 caps for England)
    61 pts 95-96 (Neville Southall in goal, Wales' most capped player of all time with 92)
    58 pts 06-07 (Howard in goal)
    57 pts* 13-14 (Howard in goal)
    56 pts 11-12 (Howard in goal)
    54 pts 10-11 (Howard in goal)

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Top ten" out of 22?

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So it's fair to say Howard just might be the best keeper Everton has ever had? Or by the time he leaves the club right?

Last year, wasn't he close to breaking a goalkeeping record before his injury?

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Everton fans aren't likely to see it that way. Southall is a club legend and was there for an incredible number of years, including a brief run of glory in the mid-80s (back when it was possible for a club the size of Everton to win titles). But after Everton's current run of good-but-not-greatness fades, I expect we'll see some nostalgia for it. For a long time now, they've done a great job of punching above their weight.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It was quite a while that they were a big club right, but hasn't Howard's time with the club coincided with them playing in Europe and challenging for domestic trophies? Not saying this is all on Howard.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I speak for all Everton fans but Howard will never pass Southall.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is it due to the lack of trophies or just his stats don't compare to Southalls? I'm sure some regard must be made to how Everton is now as a club.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Arsenal's current form and dropped points last night... Everton are now 6 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand, and a home game coming up against the Gunners... Arsenal's next game is against City, although to be fair Everton also have to play City, but Goodison has been a bogey side for the Citizens.... but anyhoo, what I'm saying is that Everton could be back in the mix for a champions league place... would love to see Timmy back in the UCL next season, if not the Europa League which it looks like they are going to qualify for...

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched them both, I'm going with Southall was better.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can you elaborate for us young'ins?

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much time right now, but I'll say he had exceptional positional command and was a good communicator to his back line.

His shot reactions were also quite good.

Not sayin' Tim's bad, he does have great physical tools, but we've all seen some of the errors he makes,errors Neville didn't make typically.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    3-1 against Fulham. 4 points behind Arsenal for the final CL spot, though they have a game in hand. It seems very possible that Everton just might finally reach the Champions League.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Arsenal @ Everton next Sunday is an absolute must win.

Arsenal's other five remaining games are all very winnable for them, so Everton isn't likely to have many opportunities to make up ground.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not that recent, but I just came across this video and haven't seen it linked here ...

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 saves and a clean sheet as Everton demolish the inferior North London side known as Arsenal. ;)

That moves Howard up to 13 clean sheets on the year and now Everton are only a point back of Arsenal for 4th place with a superior GD and a game in hand.

Here are two of his finer saves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    One of the best seasons for Howard but Cech has the lead in clean sheets and lots of praise for Szczęsny and Begovic.