The Timmaay! Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 5, 2008.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

----

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Spo...ts/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

“The saves Tim made we think of as run of the mill now because he’s such a quality keeper and he’s definitely up there with the top three in The Premier League now,” [Phillip Neville] told the club’s official website.

“He’s a really important part of our team now. This club has had some great keepers over the past 30 years and he could be right up there with the best of them.”

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Timmaay! Thread

Appears we are allowed to share memories on this thread, so:

I went to the Linc (in Philly) for its inagural sporting event-- Manchester United v. Barca, 3 August 2003. Barca was, of course, starting their prized off-season acquisition-- some Brazilian midfielder who looks like Jar-Jar Binks.

Anyway, United ran out their new acquisition, Timmy, in goal and he delivered a stellar performance. Including, in the second half, a diving stop of a wicked rocket of a free kick by Overmars. I still don't know how any human being got to that ball, much less got two hands on it to knock it away. Here's the pic:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn....01-01/2100-12-31/IMG111749/dd/1/3/3/index.htm

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

que?

I started it for general Timmy-ness type of news, rather than starting a new thread for everytime we find quotes about him.

4. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

Timmay! (i.e. subscribe)

EDIT: Shouldn't I be the one to start a Timmy thread of all people?

EDIT 2: Don't answer that. We all know what happens when I start a thread... (see: Cory Gibbs, or any in game thread I've started for Everton).

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

AP is reporting that Timmmay is better than ANY goalkeeper the country of Mexico can produce.

6. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I saw report on it on Dateline last week. I think that's another reason Hannity says America is the bestest greatest country ever.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

My sig is of course derived from one of his quotes.

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/09/howard-sounds-o.html

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

More display from Victor Valdez like tonight's and Timmay will be speaketh a different language.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

yea, he's not having too much fun right now

10. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005

Right game wrong picture.

I was sitting in the opposite end zone with traveling Man U supporters (who loved to act out Timmay's tourrettes and swore like... well Englishmen after each of his saves).

Anyway, this is the picture of the free-kick that he saved that game:

[​IMG]

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well we know Tim Howard likes to party, lets see what else we earn about him this year.

12. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've always said Valdez is the worst 'keeper at a major club in Europe.

13. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a mean joke here, but I'm not going to make it.

14. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Timmy has got to find some more helpful teammates. Two owngoals in 2 games is really hurting his GAA.

15. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but the sort of teams that would be looking to buy him won't be put off by that. They will have watched him thoroughly enough to know what was his fault and what wasn't.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Three own goals against Tim in 3 games now. :eek::mad: I don't think I have seen such a streak on any level, much less among well paid professionals.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Part of it is that in the last few games Howard has not done, as he periodically fails to do, control his box on crosses and free kicks/corners. Luckily, the USMNT plays in CONCACAF.

18. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It's more Howards fault than anyone elses, the defence aren't getting any calls at all so are forced to stretch and deal with balls they shouldn't have to.

19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the report on the match with Liverpool:

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4099

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Ives, promoting TH for the USMNT Player of the Year Award ...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=577241&sec=us&root=us&cc=5901

A star for English club Everton, Howard has had to grow up quickly in the fast-paced world of European soccer since leaving MLS and signing with Manchester United in the summer of 2003. Two seasons as Everton's starter, which followed three seasons at Manchester United, have allowed Howard's game to mature and his reputation to grow from an athletically gifted netminder to an all-around talent who is arguably one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

21. strawman

strawman New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    oxford
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know who else deserves it more....with the offense being in a rut, he's strung together the best year with one performance in particular that stands out(Argentina) as being world class.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Either him or Gooch IMO. None of the offensive players have particularily had a great year, with Donovan having the best.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

I always enjoy seeing one of our players featured on FIFA.com. Here Howard speaks mostly about the MNT and the game v. Cuba, but also ...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=904421.html#howard+theres+perfect+game

From the days of Tony Meola, through to Brad Friedel and Kasey Keller, the USA always seems to produce strong goalkeepers. Why do you think this is?

(Laughs) I get this question a lot, and I don't really know the answer. We have managed to do well exporting players in the goalkeeper position. I think at the end of the day it's about producing good athletes in America, and good athletes tend to become good goalkeepers.

Being a fellow Jersey boy, was your boyhood idol Tony Meola?

I didn't really have a soccer idol growing up. It wasn't like it is today, where you have soccer on TV all the time. I had to take my sporting heroes from other sports.

It's been a long road for you, from semi-pro ball in New Jersey, to (MLS) to Manchester United and now Everton, it's all happened pretty fast. Do you now look back and put it all in perspective?

While it was all happening, it was hard to really focus on what was going on. It was all I could do to keep my head above water and survive and try to improve enough to keep my place. Things just kept happening year after year. But now, in my third season with Everton, I can look back on just what a wild ride it's been. And to be honest, I am pleased with where I am right now, with my development and the level I'm at.

Speaking of Everton, it's been a rough start, eliminated from the UEFA and League Cups and without a home win. All this after two years of sustained success.

It's true, we're having a rough start to the season. In the top leagues in the world, you have to get off to a good start, and we haven't. Now we need to fight our way out of it and we have the guys to do it. We all understand that we have no divine right to finish fourth or fifth, and we are going to have to sort out a way to get out of this. But we have the spirit, as we've shown in the last two seasons.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Photos posted on Fifa.com ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team: