The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread VI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by huskydeac, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think those last three spots should go to just anyone. But there are young guys out there that you could bring in on the cheap, train, and maybe build into players. The joke I'm making in the roster thread is that there are guys like Larentowicz and Wondolowski who were crap when they joined the league and now are among the top guys at their position. I'm not saying that if just grabbed Romena Bowie (as an example) that he's going to become Larentowicz, but if he has it in him and we don't, we missed an opportunity.

If we signed three guys at the league minimum today and managed to convince Paul Pogba to sign tomorrow, cutting a guy on a minimum deal is not anything to worry about. If the guy can't hack it and doesn't come back next year, we're out how much? 40k?

2. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, and I forget what thread this is in, but the debate over Tom Brady and David Ortiz being the result of good scouting or luck, why can't the answer be both? Mix in a bit of the right situation.

Someone saw something in those guys to take a chance at them when others passed. And yes, I know Brady was the 199th pick. You don't take a guy at 46 (Pats first pick that year, Adrian Klemm) that will be there at 199 because you think he's a potential player, particularly when its a gamble, like Brady was at the time. That just isn't smart business (Tavon Wilson being the outlier here).

Add in to that the right spot. Bledsoe goes down, Brady goes in to the starting role with no expectations, no pressure, and what turned out to be a damn good defense and he's in a position to not lose games rather than win them.

Going back to my Larentowicz example, its the same idea. Someone in Revs land saw something in him that made them say, "Why not this guy?" Put a defensive mid out there after a year of development next to Shalrie Joseph and with Michael Parkhurst behind him and you have a good spot for a guy to come into his own. Joseph was such a disruptive force at the time that offenses were geared to stay away from him and Parkhurst read the game so well that he could see the mistake you were going to make in the 50th minute of a Saturday match, during a water break on the Tuesday before.

If Larentowicz never turned into anything, no one cares. But if you leave that spot open, we're missing even a chance at finding that guy.

RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not disagree, but I wonder if some of what they saw was that he was a relatively local guy?

5. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then find another relatively local guy. Doesn't have to be Romena Bowie, he's just a name I was throwing out there. Look at BC, Brown, BU, Harvard, URI...hell, look at Berklee's intramural leagues, just look for someone who can, maybe, be someone some day.

6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do every year. This year it was Omanga, It is not everyday that a blind dog can find a bone.

7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    revsrock repped this.
  8. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have missed where Omanga is still on the roster and developing as a player for the Revs. He's not what I'm talking about. Don't just give someone a chance for a month in training, keep the guy for a year and see what happens with him. I don't remember Larentowicz in camp, but based on the one minute he played as a rookie, there wasn't much there, but they gave him a chance. Trialing a guy isn't the same.

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was that they pick local guys every year and roll the dice. Larentowicz was able to stick even without playing time and later things worked out. Most players have not been able to stick and make it work out. Others probably know better, but I bet some of Dorman's appeal originally was that he went to BU?

I understand what you are saying, but as I am sure you know, the Revs are not built that way. With no reserve league and no USL Pro team under their control it is very hard for them to develop players outside of the youth academy. I wish it was different.

Having a bunch of draft picks every year adds to the competition for spots with the guys who were drafted the previous year and made it through the season. This makes me think that the biggest competition for spots on the Revs is probably for the bottom of the roster spots between players with the smallest salary and least experience.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job. Holy cow did we have some bad drafts. Just looking at the players we picked without doing all the trade A, resulted in Player B, which I understand is a part of that specific draft ... basically '97-'01 were all pretty bad. '06-'10 were pathetic (three players on the roster, all just serviceable).

11. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And looking at 02, you see how much the contraction of TB/Mia helped this team get to those 4 Cups.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #412 rkupp, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Again, this isn't really about whether they should fill the spots or not. It's whether it's urgent that they do so now, instead of Burns' self-imposed date of May 7th (or whatever).
    Yes, I absolutely agree. That's the point, that they haven't filled the 2 biggest needs coming into this season. The empty roster spots are just a distraction.
    The comical thing is that you keep implying that anyone is suggesting that "trying" is good enough. I've never said that, yet you keep throwing that out there.

The point of bringing up "trying" in this context is that it shows that Burns is aware of the need to bring in a starting level dmid and striker (and has been since last season ended) and and has said he's going to do that.

The point has never been to say that "trying" is good enough, it's always been that the discussion shouldn't be about whether Burns should or shouldn't get those guys - he's already agreed that he needs to. The point is and has been that he hasn't gotten it done.
    No doubt about that. But Ralston was the only one who had a lasting, major impact.

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Daniel Hernandez and Matt Reis were both acquired in trades involving players that we had acquired through the dispersal draft.

14. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Twellman, Revs moved up in draft because MIA/TB went away

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time, KC were pissed that Twellman went into the draft as they had tried to put a discovery claim on him when he was coming back to MLS. How different things would have been...

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, after all that, you go back to "trying" because Burns knows he needs to.

And on top of that, you still ignored the crux of my statement that we want this team to actually fill the spots that Burns himself has said, not just get some schlubs for those last roster spots.

As I said, keep moving the goalposts.

I wonder how many promotions I'd have if my bosses and customers were happy that I was trying. Not accomplishing anything. But "I'm trying."

17. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  18. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Cachet.

Cache.

Not the same.

19. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Paolo DelPiccolo signed with AZUnitedSC, which I think is a new USL Pro team.

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody remember some time in the last 10 years when the Revs had a stated goal of regular season home attendance of 300,000? I know that they missed that year and that last year's total was around 250K (I think) and that figure represented a rise in attendance.

The year they had that goal, does anybody remember if they tried anything new to meet that goal? Did anything work and become the norm? I think that that figure is a great goal (maybe longer term), but I was wondering what people thought could be done, if anything, to achieve that goal in the future?

Given 17 home games, that is about 17,650 fans/game.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a few years ago, don't remember the year. I know they had a big friendly that helped them reach the goal.

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yuengling back in MA. Got a case of it a mile over the border in Attleboro for $21.50 after tax and deposit. Easily the best beer for that price. Great for tailgates.

24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I remember distinctly the quote spoke of "soccer fans at Gillette", referring to Revs games + USMNT + friendly matches. If I'm not mistaken, it referred to the 2006 season.

25. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake. I thought it was for the regular season. Anyway, I did like that goal and was wondering what they did to try to achieve it. Sounds like they had some friendlies and national team matches.