The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread V

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you mind sharing what your question was, and the answer given?

In other totally unrelated news, on my Lufthansa flight, there was a great show on 50 years of the Bundesliga. Unfortunately, they only had the 60s and 70s segment, and I have been looking online to see if the other decades are out, but this is fantastic.

I cut my teeth watching the Bundesliga in the 70s on the PBS show, "Soccer Made in Germany" with Toby Charles. They would show a condensed version of one game, plus highlights of some others. They often showed Borussa Munchengladbach, who became my favorite team. Gunther Netzer was THE MAN, and he scored the first time I had ever seen a bicycle kick in real time. He also rated very high on the cool factor, as he drove a Ferrari, owned a disco and was the guy the wimming wanted to be with, and men wanted to be like! Klaus Fisher was another one of my favorites, that guy could bend it better than Beckham ever could!

The 60s show was also very good, as they had a semi-pro league until 1963. Bonus footage of the Beatles singing in a bad, Scouse-accented German, "Komm gib me deine hand"

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I liked the 70s show. Mila Kunis is hot.

Wait, what were we talking about... ?

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They're saving the best for last!
    I loved Toby's call when someone would break through the defense: "it must be".

And, it usually was.

4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the yanks abroad boards there are often foreign locals who post on BS to give their view on how a player is doing, perceived to be doing, etc. One such poster who comes to mind is Ceres in Denmark. Over the years he has posted a lot of local insight on how yanks abroad are doing in Denmark.

This got me wondering if there are any active BS posters who live in the greater Boston area who can give/have given insight into how the local Brazilian (or other nationality, ethnicity) community regard the Revs/MLS? It seems telling that no such individuals have a presence on the Revs boards here. Could it be that they are intimidated by the "core" posters or could it be that they do not exist?

Regarding ethnic communities in the greater Boston area and BigSoccer, there must be people from these communities who post in/read forums on BigSoccer. Maybe they never post in/read the Revs or MLS forums? Anyway, I was thinking that the Revs should do some BigSoccer data mining to try to identify these people and reach out to them. These are people who like soccer enough to get involved with a message board, live near the Revs, but are not actively following/supporting the Revs.

Lastly, when will the Revs set up Spanish or Portuguese twitter accounts? I know I have asked this before, but what is the problem? I recently moved to Cary, NC and see that the RailHawks have a Spanish twitter account.

BTW (mentioned in a different thread), when I cancelled/did not renew my season tickets it was pointed out to me that I will lose my place in line for seats whenever the Revs open a SSS. It was suggested that if I let my section 109 seats go, but then buy one Fort ticket I would keep my 11 year STH tenure.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you asked this question back in the early to mid 2000's, we did have a much wider and diverse group of posters and I remember specifically a Brazilian cat but I can't remember his user name.

Over the past 8 years or so, through the Revs becoming less relevant AND message boards like Big Soccer in general becoming less relevant due to the arrival of social media, the group of Rev posters is down to nothing more than a handful now.

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I like the semi-anonymous quality to this board over social media. Also the focused nature to the group. I don't care to have my Aunt Maureen reading my Revs rants. :)

NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Imagine breaking the news to her that "Red Bull Causes Cancer" and that sometimes God kills kittens based on what is posted here. :p

Minutemanii repped this.
  8. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I just copy and pasted this question from Leo at 12:08 because I noticed it went unanswered and I wanted to know what Brian would say.

12:31

Comment From sam
    What is the status of Jose Goncalves contract? Will it be made a permanent deal?

12:32

Brian Bilello:
    We all recognize Jose's importance to the team. I think you'll see him back here next season and beyond.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear they "want" to sign Goncalves. Still, I have this sneaking fear that we'll get the "We had hoped to get a deal done, because he was a valuable member of this team and instrumental in our playoff run. We made what we felt was a very fair offer, but unfortunately we couldn't come to an agreement." statement.

Of course, we'll never know if he was the one who wanted, say, $300,000 and the team thought $87,834.28 per year was a "fair offer," or whether they offered $300k and he wanted $1.8 million/year.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have quietly heard, this is pretty much a done deal. The buyout amount was negotiated and agreed to ... so now it's just a question of if they want to keep him (and obviously, that's a yes).

a517dogg and MLSFan123 repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full disclosure, I didn't listen to this podcast yet, but I post it just for the headline:

March to the Match: soccer podcast
    9/18/2013

12. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego will certainly be in top 5. It will be interesting to see about Rowe whose profile has grown dramatically the last few weeks.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd be shocked if Rowe was in the top five, but I'd almost be more shocked if he wasn't in the top 24 at all. I'm not sure what I expect at this point.

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. I thought he would be in the teens, but now I am confused. He has been getting a ton of press on the MLS web page recently so maybe he is getting overvalued if he comes in say 5th.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rowe will be in there. He's got better numbers than anyone else in the 2012 Draft class. Darren Mattocks (#12) comes closest with 10 G, 2 A in his 2 years in MLS. Rowe has 10 G, 12 A. Luis Silva (8 G, 8 A) is too old for the list.

17. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You should meet Wes Welker.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. After reading that Belichick was the one that hired Mark Briggs, I'm beginning to think maybe Belichick was the one who lowballed Larentowicz, too...

19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Welker was replaced by Amendola. Big Red was replaced by...? Niouky?

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And was 17 when the show started...

21. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, my basic point was generally that Kraft-haters are quick to point out how much Kraft loves the Pats and ignores the Revs. Well, he's cheap with the Pats too! Basically, with the exception of Tom Brady (and a few others), the Pats enjoy productive players on valuable contracts. As soon as the player is looking for a pay raise, the player finds himself on another team.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general you're right, Welker was a bad example. The Pats read the market perfectly on Welker. They actually paid more (annually) for Amendola.

23. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that the NFL has a hard cap, which the Pats manage very well. They prefer to spread the money amongst many players, but they still spend. Many teams around the league want to emulate the Pats model

MLS has an extremely soft cap which the Revs mismanage, whether that is a result of cheapness or incompetence or a combination, I don't know. But it is safe to say not many teams are looking to emulate the Revs model.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - the pats approach works beautifully in a closed industry like the NFL without global competitors. If only 31 other teams within the same league could bid for your player's services it's fairly straight forward.

Soccer, played in literally every country in the world (ok, it's followed in the Vatican, if not played), with thousands of competitors is a whole different ball game.

25. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top Five 24 Under 24 gets revealed later today.

DeAndre Yedlen, D, Seattle
    Jack McInerney, F, Philadelphia
    Luis Gil, M, Real Salt Lake
    Darlington Nagbe, F/M, Portland
    Diego Fagundez, F/M, New England
    Kelyn Rowe, M, New England.

Somebody's getting snubbed, big time.