The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread V

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright ... enough of this. It's just going in cycles.

We have more important things to worry about ... can the US qualify tonight? :)

Minutemanii repped this.
  2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they can, but I say they won't. Any of the 3 results needed could go against them with out too much surprise.

US could draw away, or Mexico could finally win at home, or Jamaica could draw at home.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I hope to see them qualify (live) on Tuesday. But just saying it could happen tonight.

4. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe he left on his choice. Too bad, one of the best staff this organization has ever had. And one of the few that cared.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he would say anything until Somerville states their intentions to their own citizens about the development on that site. To me this is an extra close-to-the-vest time and if he leaked anything out now, some people in Somerville would flip out..

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't allowed any of my questions up there. They must be too hardball.

10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Minutemanii, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Someone asked:

Comment From Kyle
    What's the latest with regards to a new stadium, Brian?
    12:08
    Brian Bilello:
    We're currently working on the stadium project and it is something we're committed to doing. We do feel strongly that it should be up near the urban core of Boston. That's taking us more time and costing us more money but we think it will be worth it. In terms of timetable we're trying to get it done as soon as we can.

GREAT NON-ANSWER.

11. D00ls

D00ls Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm just submitting mine in the hopes that the Globe guy's finger slips and people can see the question... No chance we get answers. Why does Brian even do these things if he won't answer real non-softball questions?

12. D00ls

D00ls Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What are the odds this wasn't a planted question:

Comment From Katie
    What can fans expect to see at Salute to Heroes night this Saturday?
    12:03
    Brian Bilello:
    It's an event we've had annually for a few years now. We're expecting over 2,000 members of the military, police, fire and first responders at the game as our guests. We'll also be having a number of activities such as vehicles on site, large american Flag, USO GROUP (Liberty Bells) singing the national anthem and probably a re-enlistment ceremony too.

13. D00ls

D00ls Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Last spammy post on the livechat topic: I'm now convinced that this whole thing is fake and staged. All of the questions are asked by people listing only first names, have perfect spelling and grammar, and the same writing style.

Yes I am wearing my tinfoil hat, why do you ask?

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh ... copy and paste. :)

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd still rather than answer than some BS about how they're really close, yada, yada, yada...

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be interesting, as both sides of every argument are called out on this.

Many, myself included, still believe we don't market. This comment would disprove that (if you believe it). Many say that marketing doesn't do much. This comment would disprove that (if you believe it).

17. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "top tier of teams in terms of spending on marketing" is actually a pretty vague statement, so I think it could be true but it misrepresents whats going on

"Top tier" could just be 10th in 2 tiers where tier each is made up of 10, I think it could also be 16th in 2 tiers where tier 1 is 1-16 and tier 2 is 17+.

"Spending on marketing" could include anything from sales commission from the STH reps to the value of the "early bird" discount on season tix. I also would be curious if these were self reported numbers and if all teams calculated it the same way.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12:34
    Brian Bilello:
    We have seen benefits to our increased spend. At league meetings this summer we talked about what we're doing in each market and where we're seeing results. We're in the top tier of teams in terms of spending on marketing but we're always looking for new opportunities or way to be more effective.

So the revs are in the top tier of teams spending on marketing but near the bottom in attendance? It's not about the spend it's about the outcomes. It doesn't matter if you spend $10million to paint the Revs logo on the outside of the Pru - if you don't get more butts in seats you've failed.

Brian, you're acknowledging your Marketing people are doing a crappy job. One of these scenarios is likely:
    a) you're spending money in the wrong places. b) your product is unmarketable.
    c) your marketers are crap.
    d) all the above.

Mike Marshall and ToMhIlL repped this.
  19. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top tier could also relate to the expense associated with advertising in a major media market as opposed to advertising in Columbus. Even a minimal effort could be expensive.

20. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is a "Thoughts" post or an MLS News post, but I was here, so here's another thought:

Is anyone following the 24 under 24 feature on MLSsoccer.com? The first 8 are out and there are no Revs yet. Fagundez, Agudelo, Rowe, Farrell and Caldwell all should get consideration and I'd probably put their odds in that order. This is a big step up from having zero Revs last year.

21. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In my opinion, it's definitely a case where a) they're going for exposure, as opposed to engagement, which is a mistake and b) they're not vetting their advertising spend appropriately.

I've seen Revs ads this year on billboards, some television (usually during Revs games but there have been some regional placements on ESPN), the T ads, and apparently, an incredibly broad Google Display campaign (I've seen Revs ads on video game wikis, that's how wide they're casting that net).

That stuff gets a lot of eyeballs, and is quite expensive, but it doesn't create incentive for people to CARE. It's purely informational - what does a picture of Kelyn Rowe or Matt Reis on the Green Line or near Logan Airport do to actually get me excited about the season? If I'm a casual sports fan, nothing. Potential fans need some reason to feel excited about potentially going to a Revs game and a static ad doesn't do that.

The vetting is just knowing not to waste money, or doing appropriate quality control. Yes, that STH ad on the Mass Effect Wiki is probably because I have the Revs' site or MLS' page in my browser history, but why are you wasting money on someone who's probably an existing customer. This is also the second year I think the MBTA ad implied the home opener was the start of the MLS season, and if you're going to do television, you have to go full throttle on it. It's great TV ad quality has improved from 1/10th-assed (2011) to half-assed (2012), to maybe 3/4ths-assed (2013)...but for the money you're spending to put it out there you've gotta create something on par with RSL's or Vancouver's advertising.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would add Fagundez - agree, it's definitely an improvement!

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis. As a marketer I couldn't agree more - people respond when there's an emotional connection to whatever you're advertising. Splattering the revs everywhere without any regard to the audience shows tactical rather than strategic thinking - which is a core problem for this club.

24. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I asked my own, un-staged question, and it got answered.