The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread V

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Moving the goalposts, are we? If points is the #1 tiebreaker, NE and HOU both have the same number of points (37).

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The video's not bad, but the "voice" doesn't do it for me. They should get "In a world ..." guy. Or at least Lake Bell.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes you actually post thoughtfully, and other times I'm not sure why you're posting the way you do.

Simple math. We're right in the middle of the East in terms of goals scored (5th of 10). We're #1 in Goals Allowed. Due to the #1 in Goals Allowed, that's given us a leg up on the goal differential tie-breaker (enough to be the second best GD in the east).

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his original point was that the GD tie-breaker comes after Pts, wins, and goals. Therefore, GF is more important than GA (or GD).

JDEsq09 repped this.
  5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But allowing less goals allows you to earn more points, right?

Achowat repped this.
  6. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Since this is the thread that it is, I want to know if our GA's have GF's that are GD hot. If so, I want pictures.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe to satisfy JDesq09, I should have said: Looks like our great GA stat is (HELPING TO) keeping us in that play-off slot as of today! ;)

8. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego's girlfriend is likely 17, and therefore I'm unwilling to comment on any hypothetical hotness that can gleaned from the MLS 36 that features her.

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't you comment on her hotness?

FWIW, she is well past the Age of Consent laws in Mass and in the vast majority if country by 17.

10. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    But Goal Differential isn't the tie-breaker.

11. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No. The GA is not helping the Revs maintain the 5th playoff spot. Look at the order of the tie-breakers.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So giving up less goals hasn't helped the team earn the number of points it currently has?

13. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In comment #69, Minutemanii wrote that the GA stat was keeping the Revs in the playoff spot. I then commented that he might have meant GF.

2013 Tiebreaker Order

1. Most wins
    2. Goals for
    3. Goal differential

NER and HOU both have 37 points. NER and HOU both have 10 wins. Therefore, it is the GF that is the tie-breaker NER (35), HOU (30).

Now, it's apparent that many here thought that GA or GD were the tie-breakers. It's not. For my efforts to make a simple correction, Minutemanii calls me a troll in comment # 73, and I'm the one who gets the slap on the wrist from the mod in comment #78.

People could have just commented that they didn't know that GF was the tie-breaker that places the Revs in 5th, or that they mistakenly thought it was GA or GD. We could all move on.

14. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thank you.

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya I get all this. I was commenting in loose and convivial terms. But thanks for taking the time to annoyingly spell it out the exact, technical details while missing the overall sentiment. I now see how your humorless and trifling posts can tend to exasperate people on here.

bwidell repped this.
  16. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You falsely accused me of trolling in comment #73, that wasn't very friendly.

17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    it's like if a bunch of lawyers talked soccer

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, fair enough. If you don't believe you are trolling, and if it's true that you generally don't approve of it, I'll accept that. Just keep in mind I'm not the only one who's accused you of trolling. In any case you care about the Revs and that's a good thing.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was it that Shakespeare said about lawyers?

You guys know exactly what the gist of the conversation is. Our GA is excellent, and it has helped us earn points. Those points are keeping us in the playoff hunt and are the first tie-breaker. Let's leave it at that and move on to things where we actually can debate two sides.

20. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't care if 100 people previously accused me of trolling. In this case, I was providing accurate information, but you and bwidell couldn't resist trying to discredit my simple post which I'd like to remind everybody which was "I think you mean GF." That's trolling?

What's probably worse , honestly, is that I'm the one who then received grief from the mod !

21. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It could be just me, but I think outscoring your opponent is still what earns the 3 points. Look at the teams in the playoff spots of the eastern conference and you'll see that GF has a stronger correlation to playoff positions than GA.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It. Doesn't. Matter.

If you win games 5-4 or 1-0, you still get 3 points and +1 GD. The points are what matter most. If we end the season with more of them than Houston or Cowlumbus or Chicago or Filthydelphia, that is all that matters.

If we have to resort to the 3rd or 4th tiebreaker to squeak into the 5th playoff spot, then by definition, we are a mediocre (at best) team. I'm old school and want to see us be legit and qualify outright. It may be a tall order this year to get to 3rd, but it would let us avoid the extra midweek game. If we have to play midweek, at least let it be home so 5,000 of our closest friends can be there for the spectacle.

I guess you can't really go off-topic in a thread that "doesn't deserve it's own thread"

23. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It does matter. Just a few points separate several teams, so it's likely that the Revs will end the season tied in points with another team. That being said, if the team has the same number of points, then they are probably going to have the same number of wins too. So, the next tie-breaker is GF.

You know the difference between a 5-4 victory and a 1-0 victory? A 5-4 victory contributes more to that GF tie-breaker! The fact that they are also +1 GD is not as important.

24. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that still does not cause you a little introspect?

25. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Let me get this straight, you want me to be introspective when you falsely accused me of trolling? Is today Opposite Day?