The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread IV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask him:
    What are your thoughts on the current state of Revolution on and off the field + What can you do to improve it? ;)

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only mentioned soccer once, never the revolution. The focus was on his career building up the pats and he only took 2 questions (I wasn't 1). If I had gotten the opportunity I would have asked what he is doing to keep the revs competitive in the ever changing MLS environment. What I found interesting is he said he maintains daily contact with the heads of each of the 5 businesses, meaning he is in touch all the time with Bilello. So Kraft has his finger on the pulse of the revs, among his other businesses.

He also said he is very accessible and responds quickly to line managers and recommended getting rid of middle management because that slows everything down. In general I learned a lot about his background and how the Krafts do business.

Khkevin repped this.
  3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting and in line with how I have pictured the Krafts doing business and completely counter to the PROJECTIONS about the Krafts posted on this Board

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true Doc, a lot of stuff here is guesswork and if we believe the words out of the horse's mouth, most is wrong (including my own preconceived notions). I listened with an open mind and walked away respecting the Kraft family a lot more.

For example, I didn't realize the extent of the Krafts' philanthropy in the greater Boston area. They mandate every pats player makes 10 public charity appearances per season in the Boston area as part of their contract. There was a young entrepreneur competition and the winning group of high school kids went on stage to accept their check. When Kraft took the stage he said he was going to double their winnings as a way of encouraging young entrepreneurship.

So while I fully acknowledge their missteps as owners of the revs and wish things would improve ASAP, now that I know more about the way things work at 1 Patriot Place I respect them a lot more.

LongDuckDong and Soccer Doc repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you figure? Just saying "hi" every morning could also be construed as "staying in touch."

At some point, actions need to be shown, not talk.

In regards to the Krafts charitable stuff ... no question. They've done an amazing job with that, with a lot of credit going deservedly to Myra.

6. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then..
    I'm just the Angel from Hell that looks to always see the bad in anything Kraft.

Problem is..
    I could care less about ANYTHING Kraft, as it has to do with his "other" businesses. He's a typical Corp hack who will do anything for profit..AS HE SHOULD!

but..in the end.
    They have no LOVE for this game..they put as much effort in the Revs as Bill Gates probably does for his garage door openers.

If you want to be blinded by his "philanthropy" that is all TAX DEDUCTIBLE..by all means, go to town and good luck to you.

My seething loathing of all that is Kraft stems from the Apathy shown towards this team and the irrelevancy of MLS in all the time they've owned it. It's easy for a billionaire to invest a pittance of his net worth to then control a sport in his region.

Oh well...maybe someday you'll understand...maybe.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Krafts have been well known for their philanthropy, and Myra was really the one driving that. I'm sure these charities are still benefitting, and that is all well and good. For that being "tax deductable," yes, it may be, but for every dollar you donate to a charity, the deduction is only maybe 30 cents. Not the main reason why people donate to he worthy causes of their choice.

Jon Kraft in particular has always been active working with startups and new, particularly tech ventures. He was close with David Weatherell at CMGi, and even got them to pony up for the naming rights for the stadium, which lasted halfway through the Revs season. In 2000, I was working for an Israeli dot-com startup (just think, if the stock even went to $5, I would be rich enough to buy the Revs!), and given Krafts connection to Israeli busineses and those types of ventures, we thought he'd be worth persuing. He did have a couple of meetings with our CEO (who was 27!), but in the end, he didn't invest. A few months later, I sensed we weren't going anywhere and left to work for a $2 billion life sciences compay at the other end of the spectrum.

So I don't doubt that the Krafts are smart, but some of their decisions surrounding their soccer investment seem er, rather puzzling at best.

KaptPowers, RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Bob Kraft - the Philanthropist and his good ole boy network wants the State of California and US Citizens to ultimately foot the bill for Worker's Comp and injured players...yea, he's a Great Guy, just a good business man..!

Billionaires getting richer on fan loyalty...BullSHIT...!

For you LOVERS of Kraft and his philanthropy.

ps. Billionaires benefit by giving to charities because of Tax loopholes. Show me a person who gives money to charity because they actually feel bad for the entity, be it a homeless person or a health foundation and not take the deduction on his taxes. And I'll show you someone who ISN'T a billionaire or even a lowly millionaire. =)

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just was pointing out an objective perspective, should've expected the diatribe.

Thank God for ignore buttons.

bwidell repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs have replaced their MatchDay magazine with a new wireless App, that only works on the Gillette Stadium WiFi network:

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/2013-revolution-matchday-app

Interesting feature: LIVE Comcast SportsNet TV Broadcast

So, you can cheer them on live and still be swayed by Brad's homerisms!

Crooked repped this.
  11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In more good philanthropy news, the Revs raised $4,489 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society/The One Fund (I'm guessing a 50/50 split there) through their MLSWORKS game-used and autographed memorabilia auction. Here's a breakdown of winning bids if interested - Farrell's jersey got the highest sale at $520.

Farrell: $520
    Dorman: $175
    Shuttleworth: $266
    Tierney: $220
    Tierney BAA Jacket: $220
    Fagundez: $300
    Heaps BAA Jacket: $315
    Bengtson: $190
    Goncalves: $201
    Cisse: $146
    Rowe: $260
    Nguyen: $200
    Reis: $361
    Guy: $210
    Sene: $310
    Nyassi: $135
    McCarthy: $210
    Team-Signed Medical BAA Jacket: $250

patfan1 repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future updates will include:

Measure 9x Cut Once app
    TeamOps Zombie Apocalypse
    And more great KSG innovation! ;)

13. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    I've used this a little during the first three home games and it is kind of cool. The real benefit of the live broadcast feature is that you can see the replays of controversial plays that they are forbidden from showing on the big screen. Also, you get to choose between like 5 video feeds so you can watch what the field level camera is seeing as well as a full field overview camera, etc... I haven't spent much time looking at it during the game, but it can be useful and I think is a good thing to enhance the in-game experience a little for the more technically inclined.

For those really tempted to put the earphones on and enjoy Brad and Jeff, you'll find it a little annoying since there is a delay short delay from the live action you would be looking at.

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    OK, this really pisses me off. Remember how the Revs had to wear their secondary uniforms for the home opener because both of KC's uniforms clashed wish our primary? First off, SKC wore their primaries against DC and nobody had trouble telling them apart:

[​IMG]

I tuned in to watch a little of the Vancouver-Portland game last night. Portland chose to wear their red alternate uniform. The problem is their shirts are mostly white:

[​IMG]

So MLS officials had an issue with about 20% of KC's top clashing with our uniforms, but Portand gets away with a 60-70% clash with their top?

Idiotic.

LongDuckDong and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Teams weren't as familiar with their teammates back then, lol.

16. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Bengtson was called up by Honduras, so he'll likely miss 3 matches.
    LAG - 6/2
    DCU - 6/8
    @VAN - 6/15

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gives the current strike corp a real chance to step up, and threaten Bengtson's position.

I do believe that his position is already in danger, but I also believe that they will try and give him as many shots as possible to succeed. Remember this is supposedly Burns first DP...

18. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I just looked up and read the actual bill, not the opinion piece you linked. If someone can enlighten me on how it will shift the payout to the taxpayer, please do so. Most of it prevents former athletes from claiming worker's comp because they play away games in the state. More importantly for California's budget woes, it makes the former athletes file in the state they ended their careers in.

If this bill is passed, Bob Kraft may be on the Seau lawsuit against the NFL as opposed to the Chargers. The big picture for him is the NFL won't be on the hook for Californians who played for teams out of state and want the bonanza that CA worker's comp is.

So how does this make Bob Kraft a monster? :)

Soccer Doc repped this.
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston team in the final four!
    Dynamo To Host Amateur Championship
    Thursday, May 23, 2013

patfan1 repped this.
  21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league needs to mandate that every team have at least one 100% light jersey and one 100% dark jersey. Every team should be able to wear their home kit at home.

22. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This dude on reddit devised his own formula for power rankings, accounting for strength of schedule, etc.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/1ey0hh/crollaas_mathematical_power_rankings/

He devised strength of schedule in terms of opponents points as a percentage of total possible points. The revs have had the hardest schedule in the league so far in terms of that metric, while some of the top teams (LA, New York, KC, etc.). Interesting findings, gives me some hope for later in the year, thought some of you might find it a good read.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There should be no home and away kits, just primary and secondary.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    At least based on where teams are now, it does look like we've had a very tough list of opponents: NJ (2x), Houston, Portland, Seattle, RSL, Phil (2x), Dallas.

With games against Toronto (2), DC(2), Vancouver and Chivas coming up, that's due to balance out.

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not gloating because we know how it feels---but---DCU has gone to the dogs big time. For a team with a history of being top tier they are playing just horrid soccer--sitting on 5 points. Hard to see how Ben Olson is keeping his job. From what I read on their Board sounds like they are even less happen with their ownership and management structure than many posters are about the Krafts. Couldn't be happening to a nicer bunch of ______ :D