The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread IV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furreal? For anyone who argues that us NNNs are being to harsh when we criticize things like marketing efforts, this is the stuff that makes me cringe. When you're at the bottom of the pile, you hope people don't notice it and you certainly don't call attention to it so that someone who doesn't follow the team closely but might be interested in coming to a game checks it out and sees where we are and ...decides to do something else on Saturday.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  3. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Going offtopic, since I literally get more angry at this team by the week, I was watching the LAG/Sporting KC game and man, the Galaxy's counterattack is an absolute thing of beauty. For all the fans that pine for their team to play "Barca-lite/tiki taka/possession" soccer, give me a team with a stout defense that fast-breaks with smart attackers any day. That's the kind of soccer i personally enjoy.

ftruscot repped this.
  4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possession soccer is only enjoyed by me if the whole team has the talent and patience to do it. That's rare. But when it's there it's the best soccer. Almost hypnotic. The worst is when there is some possession but it falters as a team gets up-field. That's very frustrating, so if that's the case I'd prefer a more direct style, with tactical features build in. ;)

RevsFanDan repped this.
  5. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so glad that RebellionBro has brought his message of positivity and bro'ing down to twitter. It's fantastic.

Fire Mike Burns and patfan1 repped this.
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good thing about last year's famous quote ... if you just take away one little itty bit thing ...

"We're going to attack" becomes "Were going to attack."

7. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our eastern conference opponents are still working on improving their rosters -

TOR: Kevin Davies (not yet official), Matias Laba, Ji-Sung Park (rumored)
    MTL: Daniele Paponi
    CHI: Sebastian Mila (just a rumor, but still...)
    PHI: Jose Kleberson (kind of old news), Emanuele Belardi (rumor)

meanwhile, not a sniff of a link or rumor to the ol' Revolution despite 5-game score drought. o_O

seriously, what happened to Marko Jesic, Jamal Gay, Mads Junker, Olivier Kapo, etc etc etc

HARUMPH!

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Mike Burns: "I didn't get a harumph out of that guy!"
    Burns: "Harumph!"
    Revs fans: "You watch your ass."

NFLPatriot and sputnikorbust repped this.
  9. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They're carrying 29 out of a possible 30 (because Sainey Nyassi and Gabe Latigue are valuable players to retain), and they're holding out to make a big pitch to Gareth Bale in the next transfer window. (You heard it here first!)

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, certain posters here say there's no rush to sign anyone right now, we can always wait until August because there are more players available during the Summer Transfer Window. Games in March or April don't count, right?

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boycott Owl - did a search for revs and surprisingly there wasn't one.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extended pre-season = March-July. The season only starts when football lines are painted.

13. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say games from April to September don't mean much. Stay at or near .500 and playoffs are a shoo in...yay

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .500? For a team that has fewer shots than some teams have goals, how many wins in a row are we gonna need to get to .500? And seriously, how likely is that?

15. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some..it's about as likely as the sun setting tomorrow in the late afternoon/early evening..give or take a half hour! =)

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The optimist in me says we have almost scored on some occasions and we are ready to break through with more time on the field from Dorman and Sene... Dorman for ball service and Sene to create and free up Gerry a bit.

The pessimist in me says that the team is confused and not firing the cylinders right, like a bad distributor cap, and we are pretty much screwed for the year.

17. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we only look for talent on YouTube! Now that poor kids can't afford to make DVD's...

Here's a kid we should sign in an instant..and even if he can't play a stitch, WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT, we can use him to entertain the Chucky Cheese crowds we usually get to Revs Babysitter Nights, during halftime

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For any fellow geeks working in the tech industry, Jonathan Kraft is speaking in Cambridge tomorrow night about being a savvy business man at TiECon East, an event primarily for tech entrepreneurs.

It may be your best / only opportunity for face time with Revs ownership ..I'm going and tempted to ask 1 or 2 revs questions ;).

Khkevin and NFLPatriot repped this.
  19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There ARE more players available in the summer, but I don't see why we have to wait until August.

20. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nice to see Kraft takes the time to attend BRUINS games. Sigh.

21. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe that Burns and FO are going to sign big name players like Martin (Sounders), Juninho or Cahill (ny) ... , but players like Ernshaw or Lindpere ...for a bargain that is why they have to wait til Jul/Aug

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, the nerve of him to actually have a life outside of his investments.

If only he came to Revs games, then everything would be great. :rolleyes:

23. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Lindpere is done - he's on the wrong side of 30 and is showing serious decline in his play. Earnshaw was considered a joke signing when it happened: a 32-year old who couldn't cut it in the Israeli League and was a desperation signing from a team that didn't have a full league-minimum roster a week before the season started. The fact that he's played so well so far has shocked the s*** out of everyone, and who knows how long that will last (saying this as a guy who has him on my fantasy team).

The Revs have made signings like that in recent years - Domi, Dabo, Moreno and Janko were all Earnshaw-type signings in terms of age and pedigree. They generally turn out to be high-cost, low-reward. I'd rather they trade for proven MLS players (like NYRB did with Olave/Espindola and Portland did with the two Johnsons) than dip in that pool again.

bwidell repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5: Best Comebacks in MLS History
    May 3, 2013
    Jonah Freedman

Revs make the list (in a good way), coming in at #5 for their playoff comeback over the Metrostars in 2005.

Khano!

25. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Anyone betting on Revolutionary this evening ?