The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread IV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Query: Is Brian Dunseth a native English speaker? I figure he must be most comfortable with some California surf-creole, some Beavis and Butthead at Ridgemont High dufus-speak.

I want there to be a way to see and hear the games with the crowd noise, but with no announcers not named Adrian Healey or Christopher Sullivan.

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm kind of confused by the double negative, but you're either saying that you don't like Healey or that you do like Christopher Sullivan. Which ever it is, I'd disagree with it strongly.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Apologies for the clumsy wording. I meant to say that those are the two announcers I really like. The others I could do without.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Gotcha. I've always liked Adrian, since his days on WBCN, working the Boston Bulldogs games as a PA, and then eventually doing PBP for the Revs. It's really too that bad we've gone from having some of the top announcers in the country to having some of the worst IMO.

I've just never been a fan of Christopher Sullivan. He's pretty intelligent, but there's just something about him that gets on my nerves. His pronunciation of Latin players' names for one has always bothered me.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. Adrian was on 'FNX doing the leftover lunch show... good times! He's also a great guy, whether talking about soccer or music, and as much as I hated to see him go, I'm glad to hear one of "our own" is on the big stage doing World Cup games.

Christopher Sullivan is kind of an enigma. He does have some pretty good insights, but I would never would have known that he's American with his funny accent. If you can get past that (which I generally can), he's pretty good.

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He started at FNX, but I'll always remember him for his time at WBCN. I never got great reception for FNX, so maybe that's why.

7. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adrian was also in a band called the American Measles. My mediocre band opened for them one night. The lead singer was Chad, who IIRC was the host of the FNX Boston product show. She was so damn hot.

8. UPStruk

UPStruk Member

Jan 28, 2008
    boston
    bwidell and patfan1 repped this.
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Does anyone else hate the way MLS displays the standings on their website? I wish they had a simplified view, and then extended if they really wanted that. I'm sure it's just me ;)

RevsFanDan repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually wish they'd bring back the home/away records. And I also with the columns were sortable.

11. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like their first tiebreaker is total goals..then differential.

I go directly to Supporter's Shield first...

12. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs 1-0 undefeated on the road! :) 20% of the way to the total of 5 wins on the road between 2010-2012

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    patfan1 and Jon Martin repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nsa repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in December dirtynine shared this post with us:
    The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread III
    Today, MLSsoccer.com covers his work for all 30 MLB teams:
    What soccer jerseys would look like for all 30 Major League Baseball teams
    April 1, 2013
    MLSsoccer.com

Congrats, Mark!

dirtynine repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, they should go after him. I don't know anything about the guy, but a 28 year old striker who isn't habitually injured and has played for decent clubs and is available is definitely worth a look.

I have to feel bad for him if he thought he was speaking with an agent. I didn't realize it was a breach of contract to have a conversation, but I don't know exactly what he might have said. I guess it's kind of like someone in a regular job getting fired because they spoke with a headhunter about moving to another job. Still, it can happen to anyone. Even Sarah Palin was duped by a Montreal morning DJ into thinking he was Jacques Chirac. It should have been a dead givaway when he said his Minister of Defence was Jean Beliveau.

18. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly. ;)

Two goals in 16 appearances at the 4th level of soccer in Scotland? No thanks.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Aren't you the same person who said Robbie Earnshaw would be a terrible failure at TFC because of his goal scoring form in Israel?

LD42 repped this.
  20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I fully admit that I was wrong about that, so far. I have no issues admitting when I'm wrong. We'll see if he can keep up this pace. Should be noted though that while he has four goals, only two of them were from the run of play.

That still doesn't take away the fact that:
    MLS > Israel Premier League >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scottish Third Division (4th Tier; Amatuer).

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    All I'm saying is that you're basing a lot on only a little bit of information. Both Earnshaw and Sandaza are still in their respective primes and have played against decent competition. Sure, their most recent run of forms in subpar leagues haven't been great, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't produce in MLS. I think that a lot of people overvalue MLS as a whole relative to other leagues. I honestly don't think an MLS (especially one of the Revs caliber) would dominate the Scotish Third Division.

22. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And that last sentence there shows that you grossly undervalue the quality of MLS as a whole relative to other leagues.

Any MLS team would easily dominate any team in the Scottish 4th tier. Hell, they'd be fine in the Scottish Premier League.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think there's a lot of MLS teams that would struggle to hang in the mid-table of the Scottish Premier League. Most teams simply don't have the depth.

Rangers are currently 21 points up in the Scottish 4th, I think there are only a small number of MLS teams who could do the same.

24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    This made me laugh out loud. "Even".

Typing this made me laugh again.

bwidell repped this.
  25. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution