The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Word is AC Milan will play at Gillette in July.

Will they play the Revs I wonder or another European opponent ?

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the Player's Union publish salaries. Even though we seem improved, I still have a feeling of low spending. I'd like to convince myself otherwise.

And no, I don't care about transfer fees.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May usually.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, it was May 1st and Sept 1st.

In 2010, it was June 14th, and Aug 12th.

5. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word on the Man City boards is that we're likely playing Real Madrid here in early August

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for Doc. That has to be the greatest goal that never counted--absolutely amazing!

I don't like the idea of any new rule changes mid-season. Why not just start it with the full season next year? What happens if, the week before the official changeover date, someone scores a goal like the one above, that everyone seemed to see other than the ref. If it happens early in the season, too bad, but in September the same play gets overturned?

Not good.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what happens if we wait until next year and , the week after we could have implemented the changes, someone scores a goal like that?

Get the call right, no matter how.

Your comments feel too much like the "Coach gets only 3 challenges" people in throwball. If the ref screws up 4 times to the detriment of your team, even if you've been right all three times before that, you can't throw a flag? Bollacks!

Get the call right. Now, tomorrow, and in 2016. And if technology becomes available tomorrow, use it tomorrow and stop worrying about what happened yesterday.

Get the call right

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the idea about getting the call right - but introducing technology raises more questions. Throwball is a stop and go game by its nature with tv time outs built into the game; the fans expect it. How do you work in an unnatural stoppage into a flowing game without commercial interruption? How long does it take to review the decision? Does FIFA implement time outs? Do the teams get time outs while they review? Who is "they" who does the reviewing? Where do you draw the line on which decisions are reviewed? Will only goals be reviewed or are penalties, yellow/red card decisions, etc fair game? Do coaches get unlimited challenges? Does review time get added on to the end of injury time each half? Do the same rules apply to MLS as they do to World Cup matches and the 3rd division Zimbabwean women's league?

What works for one sport doesn't necessarily work for another so while I'm in favor of progress and getting the calls right by whatever means necessary, introducing technology (any type of stoppage) will change the game forever.

If FIFA is going to introduce technology to the game, they'll have to answer these and many other questions first. I think modeling after the NHL is the way to go, with the goal of using technology to make better decisions, while minimizing disruption.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal-line technology we're talking about requires no time for a "review"

10. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree. If they are reviewing goals, then there would be the stoppage of setting up for the kickoff after a goal anyways. Some of the delay in the NFL is that some plays require multiple angles, even zooming in to see, for example, if a receiver had both toes down, in bounds, along the sidelines.

Here, the scope of the review is much more limited, did the ball cross the line or not. It's a 10-15 second review.

My issue is more like when does the ref stop for a review. Take for example the disallowed Lampard goal against Germany in the 2010 World Cup. The goalie quickly kicked the ball deep and Germany began a counterattack which led to a goal kick about 20 seconds later at the other end of the pitch.

So, if the ball continues to be in play, does the ref blow the whistle immediately, does he wait for a throw-in, goal kick, or other stoppage of play for the review?

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. That subtlety needs to be determined ahead of time. Even if it's immediate, the "review" will happen and the game will change because the ref will blow the whistle to give them a chance to review the goal. Then the goal will be awarded/disallowed. Thus stopping the ebb and flow of the game and introducing a "review." Eventually, this will expand to yellow/red cards and pk's and we'll have American football-esque tv time outs. But it's all in the name of progress so I guess that's what has to happen.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's the thing, there is no review. The ref would be notified immediately after the ball crosses the line.

"The International Football Association Board meets July 2 and could approve Sony Corp.’s Hawk-Eye or GoalRef, owned by a German-Danish company. Following a series of erroneous calls in high-profile games ranging from the 2010 World Cup to this year’s FA Cup, there could be more support for goal-line technology among tradition-bound soccer officials.

Hawk-Eye is a camera-based ball-tracking system used in tennis and cricket. GoalRef employs a magnetic field with a special ball. Both could be approved.

Each system sends a signal within a second of the ball crossing the line to the referee, who makes the final decision."

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal line technology is instant; there's no need for a review of any kind

14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the technologies is based on tennis and the call of a serve being in vs out. That seems to go, "Lob ball, whack ball, ball goes 'thwap' on the ground, tone sounds, umpire calls 'fault." So perhaps faster than you could read that.

I could live with that.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that sounds decent then, I could live with that. Just needed more specifics.

16. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I had read about the ref being informed immediately by a buzzer, but somehow forgot about it in writing the previous post. As I recall, there are 2 companies that are vying to participate in the goal-line technology.

So, if the ref gets buzzed, he blows whistle and awards goal. If there is a close call and he is not buzzed, he is to presume that there is no goal and play continues.

17. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Per Kyle McCarthy's twitter:

While I definitely don't want him back, it's nice some of the recently departed Revs are trying to continue their careers elsewhere. I know Cochrane is in the NASL, and I saw a completely random article in the YA forum about Kinne playing in the PDL and possibly attempting to trial in Europe as well, but nothing on Schil yet.

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Schilawski had been training with Chicago, not quite sure if he caught on or not.

19. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw recently that Andrew Sousa signed with Boston Victory SC

20. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nico must be taking lessons from Marquez:
    http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=2152

21. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Came across this yesterday. Interesting that Heaps says Phelan raises the level. I don't really know how much to read into that. They released Phelan but Heaps said he's happy with the talent level on the team. Just thought it was interesting. Good luck to Phelan and the other former Revs as well.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...xt-opportunity

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Pat the best. He might not have had the most talent, but I don't think anyone can deny that he gave everything he had for the team.

23. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would like to know what youth club team Shalrie Joseph played for before he went to school at St. Johns anyone know for sure?

24. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Caraglio now has 5 goals and 3 assists in 13 matches. He has scored or assisted 62% of his team's goals. Nice to see him doing well in Chile.