The "This doesn't really fit in anywhere" thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by F96, Jun 15, 2010.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkhJKAkau2A"]YouTube- Vuvuzela-Konzert[/ame]

2. Zoostation

Zoostation New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475695

WTF is he thinking again. I love the man as a coach but do you not all think he has some seriously bizzare behaviours. :confused:

For the love of God you would think he would realize the online community had noticed previous incidents, and why the hell would you pick your nose and eat it at the round of 16 in the world cup when there are a zillion cameras on you?

I just think it's the worst habit he could have, other then rubbing his arse and smelling it on air.

3. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I used to attend a lot of basketball games and sit in the first few rows, and I was always told to keep my hands away from my face. I hate watching Jogi pick his nose on TV. Blech.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's funny. As long as he does his job I could care less if he scooped them out, cooked them and served them with caviar.

1 person likes this.
  5. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd rep this for the wording if it didn't involve boogers.

6. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How does FIFA decide on who sponsors the tournament? Or are any 'donors' readily accepted without checking their credentials.

There is a sponsor, called Mahindra Satyam (you can always see their banners during the game), who's stock has been falling ever since I've bought it. A year and a half ago, when I bought the shares, they were at ~ Rs 125/ share and now they are at ~ 85 Rs/share. :rolleyes: If the company can't repay its share holders, how the hell does it find the funds to sponsor a WC? Is this even ethical? :mad:

In 2008, at the time of the US market crash, Satyam technologies, a blue chip firm was discovered to have bribed their auditors ( Price Waterhouse Coopers) so that they showed profits much more than what they actually earned. And PWC fudged the balance sheets and showed 5x the actual profit. This had been happening for the last many years. So, the value of the Satyam share vastly increased. When SEBI ( the body that regulates stock market transactions) found out about the scam, they ordered Satyam to pay the share-holders their money, because they wanted to delist it from the stock market. But Satyam didn't have the money as it was only 'notional' profit. So, SEBI was looking for companies to buy out ( read bail out) a part of Satyam technologies. Mahindra ( mainly, an automobile giant) bought a stake in Satyam. The value of the Satyam share fell from nearly Rs 330 to Rs 150 in this period. Because of Mahindra's name, the loss of image due to Satyam's misdeeds was kind of nullified and they managed to post (real) profits for their first quarter. So people flocked to buy the new Mahindra Satyam shares ( as they were substantially cheaper than the old Satyam shares). Since then, the value of Mahindra Satyam shares has only plummeted. They haven't registered any profits ever since. Furthermore, a few of their clients from outside India (who form a substantial share of their income) don't want to work with Satyam or the new Mahindra Satyam anymore. Many disgruntled shareholders have filed law suits against the (old) Satyam. Unfortunately for them, that entity doesn't exist anymore. And in the middle of all this, Mahindra Satyam finds the resources to sponsor the WC.

Can/ Should a loss making enterprise be allowed to sponsor a world cup, especially if it has a history of being fraudulent to its share holders?? :mad:

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    1) Business isn't supposed to be ethical...well, it's a nice thing to have, but one shouldn't expect it

2) A company pays its shareholder via dividends, they have however no direct influence on the price of their shares, that's done by the free market.

1) I don't see a problem with having sponsors who are not profitable ATM. FIFA can't always check their books or look through their business cases. Also, such a period could well be temporary. Just look at the auto industry. After the financial meltdown, they all lost money, but they still continued their sponsorships...this is part of their marketing after all and necessary to create brand consciousness. Now, most car manufacturers are profitable again. So it's all fine.

2) If however a company is known to have committed fraud, I think it's very unwise to associate yourself with such a company. On the other hand, FIFA has proven time and again that they don't care about their public image, so why should they care now? Money talks...

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm quite curious why FIFA doesn't use Umlaute in the player's names. Its not as if the technology wasn't there.

Doesn't really bother me, just something I noticed.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  10. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's plenty of other technology that FIFA refuses to use as well...:cool:

11. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am not sure how I want to respond to the rest of the post, but thanks, I was wondering what in the world Mahindra Satyam was, and now I know.

Edited to add: Countdown with Keith Olbermann just showed both Jogi's nose picking and Paul the Octopus's team picking. Wow.

12. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the first time since the 11th of June, there is no game today. Feels strange, surreal in a way.

14. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I know what you mean...maybe they should think about including some exhibition games for days like these...;)

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That "Write the Future" ad by Nike was really well written and put together but, man...what a jinx...

Ronaldinho didn't even make the squad
    Rooney scored 0 and had no assists
    Ribery 3 and out
    Cannavaro 3 and out
    CRonaldo was a "meh"

Drogba was the only one there not making a fool out himself.

16. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Drogba had the worst jinx of all! He broke his freakin' arm right before the tournament!

17. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    You guys forgot Federer as well.:eek:

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It's really not fair..nearly three straight weeks of football then a two day break!! Almost enough to make me start drinking. ;):D

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I bet you there are a plenty of happy faces in Herzogenaurach. ;)

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I haven't heard about this Jamie Trecker guy from www.foxsoccer.com before the World Cup. I stumbled across his World Cup preview of the German team and I immediately knew how much of an idiot he is, having no idea what he's talking about.
    Today I read his latest piece on the teams that got knocked out and why...and it's astonishing how quickly this "expert" can change opinion without admitting how horribly wrong he was, hoping that people won't notice...well I did. As an example, here's what he said about England:

Before the World Cup:
    This is England's best chance to win in a generation.
    [...]
    England, being England, could mess it up in spectacular fashion as they are wont to do. I don't think they will. England may be insufferable, but this is a good team, with a sharp manager. They can reach the finals.
    [...]
    England's Premier League, formed anew in 1992, might just be the world's top league.
    [...]
    PERCENTAGE CHANCE TO PROGRESS: 100%. They are getting out of this group.

After group stage:
    This has not been England's Cup yet, so most will figure German Cup steadiness to prevail.

Not us. This will be Rooney's show. We can’t wait to see the backtracking in the English press.

England 3, Germany 1

After the Quarters:
    Overrated. Yeah, England has the most exciting league in the world, but when will people wake up and face the fact that the best players in the Premiership aren't English? And by that same token, when are people going to admit that playing in the BPL is exhausting and that teams that rely heavily on players from that league are noticeably weaker in big competitions? England has never been as good as its fans and media think, but this was a new low.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

21. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I happened to buy the WC preview issue of Kicker, and there was a Nike ad at the back that featured statue ballers - Rooney, Ronaldo and Oezil. One out of three ain't bad.

22. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wasnt Rooney voted best player in the EPL? Gerrard, Terry and Lampard are highly rated too

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Yeah, he also mentioned something to that extend in his WC preview...but now this is all irrelevant...

24. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    http://blog.taragana.com/sports/201...roud-of-german-teams-ethnic-diversity-117503/

:D

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Stop stealing our talent! With Ballack we would have qualified for 2010!!!!! ********ing Germans, develop your own players...