The Things We Hear

Discussion in 'Referee' started by briansnat, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Couple gems from moronic parents tonight:
    "It was a handball in the crease!" -- Some stupid mother getting the name of the penalty area wrong. Stupid Canadian's and their (ice) hockey.
    "We'll be here till 9pm!" and "Oh, better go feed the metre!" -- Some stupid guy thinking that the game would take longer because there were an unusually high amount of fouls for the first 15 minutes or so. See above: Canadians/hockey/morons.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NSR, however, in class the other day one kid was trying to be a wise ass (aka teenaged boy) and commented that he liked the idea of multiple wives so he wanted to become a "moron". :rolleyes:

He even spelled it for us.

Someone suggested that he already was. :)

GTReferee, La Rikardo, Law5 and 6 others repped this.
  3. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    Ok, luckily I wasn't still drinking my coffee when I read this. Awesome, awesome way to start the day! :ROFLMAO:

4. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he has never had a girlfriend either.;)

dadman repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Much less a wife!

jayhonk repped this.
  6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    :rolleyes: Nor is he like to have one, either.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    But he's very likely to end up with (serial) multiple wives! :p

Law5 repped this.
  8. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I suspect the other coach knew he was out of line, and there was probably a conversation you aren't privy to to make sure it won't happen again.

9. tibbar_eht

tibbar_eht Member

Blackburn Rovers
    United States
    Feb 6, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not laughed that hard in a long while. And the thing is I can see my boys saying the same thing about me if I were playing.

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kid is a pretty accomplished player for a u13 and she loves to heckle me when I'm playing. Although I deserve it 90% of the time, it's nice to see she recognizes truly bad positioning!

dadman repped this.
  11. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    At least your kids will come and watch you play. Mine refuse to subject themselves to such punishment.

12. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Do you think it fair to the defending team to continue play past when you KNOW all time has been used up, just to give their opponents a chance to score?

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but if I notice the leading team taking a little bit longer with GKs, throw-ins or subs, I'm going to add an "appropriate" amount of time to complete an attack.

14. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    R3PL match, U17 Girls, 7:30 am, 35 degrees in Georgia (so I am cold) I am CR, and just can't get into the game.

One team dominating the other (thank God) coach says to AR1 (who is a good buddy of mine) "Hey linno--did the referee tie one on last night? He looks like a big lummox."

To this day I am still called a lummox.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Gee, have we ever beat this issue to death before? By now we should all have these on auto-pilot to drop in each time the vibrant discussion starts. But I'm gonna just sit it out this time . . . .

dadman, Scrabbleship and IASocFan repped this.
  16. NBTHOMCCC

NBTHOMCCC Member

Aug 16, 2009
    From a coach: "That was a handball. And it was deliberate, so it has to be a yellow card."

And a completely new one from a parent who came up to me at half while I was having a chat with the new referee I was mentoring. The parent brought his kid to show me the mark on her arm where the ball hit it a few minutes earlier (while the arm was raised over her head). Resulted in a PK that he was upset about. He was complaining the referee called a 'handball', even though the mark proved it was her arm and not her hand that touched the ball.

17. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something similar from this past weekend from a ball at mid-field and near the parents. Ref, are you blind? That's the second time that the ball has hit her hand and she's gained an advantage..

18. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Small sided and small field adult game. No stoppage time. Ball goes out for a throw in near the corner. Way out, I might add. Teammate asks me how much time left. I tell him 30 seconds, knowing that if they guy hustles to get the ball, he may have 10-15 seconds to do the throw in. Player lightly jogs to get the ball. As he is coming back I see he is going to set it for a corner. 10 seconds left. I yell over, it is a throw. He looks up confused, I say “throw-in” and do the motion over my head to mimic a throw-in. 5 seconds left. He backs up surveys the field, waits a bit more and…Tweet. I get the standard complaints, to which I reply, “look, I can’t help it that he jogged to get the ball, then tried to do a corner, when I said it was a throw multiple times. Tell him to do it faster next time.” The response back was, “Ref, you can’t blow the whistle until the ball hits the ground!” As I tried to hold back the laughter, one of his teammate explained it to him.

Next game, tall guy taking a throw in near the same corner. And realize that the near post is maybe 15 yards from the sideline (with the goal area 5 yards from the post and the penalty area another 5 yards), so throwing a ball past the far post is not uncommon. So the guy who had been throwing it past the far post, throws it downward and hits the near goal area line, so 10 yards from the sideline, trying to skip it and hit a foot of a near post runner. Opponent yells, and then argues, that “you can’t throw and throw-in into the ground.” I tell him that you can’t spike it, but that ball hit 10 yards away from the touchline and was a legal throw-in. He still doesn’t believe me. I guess he has never seen a throw-in on tv that hit the ground.

dadman repped this.
  19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Do we blame this on the USSF memo . . .:whistling: . . . nah, let's not reopen that can of worms . . .

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This reminds me of something I've always meant to ask about but always forget. Not this time.

I know you can't spike it, because, well, you just can't. But what if anything in the law supports this call? I've never had occasion to call it, so never have had to answer a coach who asks "What was wrong with that throw-in?" Is this one of those "unwritten rules" that "everybody knows?"

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

If you look at the ATR, you get a somewhat cryptic answer: "has traditionally been regarded as not correctly performed; if, in the opinion of the referee sucha throw-in was incorrectly performed, the restart should be awarded to the opposing team." How to get there per LOTG?

The closest I've ever come up with is focussing on the language "from behind and over his head." To spike the ball, the throw isn't quite come from "behind and over," as the throw is coming from in front of the head down. So linguistically, we can argue it isn't proper. That said, it's not something I spend a lot of time focussing on and in my opinion it is not going to be improperly performed unless it is almost straight down. (At least with kids, a spike often involves the back foot coming way up so it's an easy call for an entirely separate reason.)

Left to my druthers, I'd add this to the scrpheap of history, where it can rest next to the improper throws based on spin from yesteryear . . .

22. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ugly, not illegal" is my usual response when players/coaches/spectators yell at me to sanction an allegedly improper throw. Mind you, this normally happens in div. 1 men's amateur games, and I can't remember the last time I called a bad throw during one.

dadman repped this.
  23. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I don't recall ever seeing a player "spike" the ball on a throw in...I can't see what the point would be in blowing the whistle.

24. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen what apparently were perceived as 'spikes' at a tournament. We had a gentlemen from England that had just moved to the states and was refereeing with us. He called about 5 foul throws for 'spiking' the ball. The other AR and I were utterly perplexed. I had heard the "traditionally a spike is illegal..." line before but I really don't see it called and I struggle to find something to actually call foul about the throw in mechanic when I see it. Asked him about it at half time and he said plain as day that they were illegal, like everyone should already know this. I wasn't going to argue with him over it since he had a legal leg to stand on but it got me thinking that this may be one of those things that gets called differently around the world.

25. DrRefereeMD

DrRefereeMD Member

May 5, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    USSF has also released a set of videos called 'Myths of the game'. It's available under the resources section of the USSF referees page. In the one about throw ins, it talks about, and demonstrates, incorrect throw-ins. spiking is one of them. A flip throw is legal however. There are also segments on handling the ball, offside, Dangerous play, and the goalkeeper. If you want, I can email the file to both of you.