The Things We Hear

Discussion in 'Referee' started by briansnat, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Know those clubs well.....

In Colorado for several years, the state youth soccer association attempted to have a consistent naming convention for competitive teams - Blue / White / Red in descending order for the top three teams in each club. Some clubs did, some didn't and eventually it just fell apart, led by clubs named as GKbenji noted above.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    How about the groupings at tournaments? All kinds of weird words.

3. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I think I did a game in a tournament last year in the U-14B-Estonia division.

4. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That drives me nuts more than the rest - because knowing where the division stands in relation to others could actually help you have some idea of the kind of match to expect skill-wise.

Appreciate the responses

5. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    [​IMG] :)

6. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    South Carolina University of Mutiny, Botany, and Germany?

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  7. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    My recollection was that colors were introduced to be more politically correct. Instead of designations like "Team A/B" or "Team 1/2" or even "Team Gold/Silver/Bronze", they'd use club colors so the better team wasn't obvious at first glance (red, black, gray, for example). Of course, the kids and parents figure it out quickly anyway.

8. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Incident from Wednesday just came to mind. U16 Boys game, score is 0-0 at the time. Green defending Orange's corner kick. Orange plays the ball in and it is headed out by green. Green defenders step out of the box right as an orange defender hits a lofted ball into the box. I see three orange players in an offside position but wait to see if the keeper will collect. Orange forward steps to play the ball right as the keeper jumps over his back for it. (Sound familiar.....) I whistle for the offside as the ball proceeds into the goal.

Orange player: "I didn't touch the ball!"
    Me: "Did you touch the keeper?"
    Orange: "But I didn't play the ball!"
    Me: "Did you interfere with the keepers ability to play the ball?"
    Orange: "No. The keeper interfered with me"..........
    Me: *Smile and shake head*

dadman repped this.
  9. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa

Did the keeper IYO foul the OSP attacker by jumping over the back?
    If so, was it decided that the interfering with play of the OP attacker should be called instead of the foul by the keeper?
    I can see this being the case since it would seem that the interference would have happened first.
    But I'm not sure if that would be the case in all situations where an OSP is fouled by a defender.
    Don't think an OSP should be open game for a foul.
    Not saying that's what you're implying, just trying to think this through.

10. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would not normally consider what happened a foul at this level. Keeper had a right to the ball (and would have gotten it if Orange had not moved to it..) and there were no calls for a foul. I just pointed out the similarity to something else we have been discussing to reference that it does actually happen.

11. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    Ya, that's what got me thinking, that this is a situation that very well could happen and I'm not sure I have a good grasp on it yet.
    I take it you are referring to the YATR thread.
    I tried re-reading it but my brain started hurting as it got a bit convoluted (really? on this forum?:) ), the main thing I'm pondering now is what happens when the OP player is fouled?
    If there is an attacker in OSP, and starts making a play for the ball, along with a defender that eventually, or immediately fouls this attacker, lets say the defender grabs him/her or pulls attacker down in effort to prevent attacker from making a play on the ball, then do we call the attacker OS in this situation or do we call for a foul on the defender who grabs the attacker?

12. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is an interesting proposition. This is also the case where I would advise a quick whistle. If you see that the player is in an OSP and is making a move for the ball, I'd give the offside. If something happens afterwards, I'd react accordingly (Talk, YC, RC, as necessary). Let's say you don't blow the whistle though. IMO, which may be contrary to what others think, you can not possibly have a foul in this situation because the player, who is offside, stops the play when they become involved. Anything that happens afterwards can be misconduct but not a foul. Again, just my opinion.

So, in your scenario, I would give the offside (IFK coming out) along with possibly a yellow to the defender for USB depending on the severity of the grab.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

In the red, I think you just described interfering with an opponent -- that completes the OS, play is now dead. Anything after that is either misconduct or nothing.

In the hypothetical world, it is easy to come up with fouls against an OSP player. In the real world, IMO, you will rarely if ever see a foul against an OSP attacker who has not already interfered with an opponent by his actions.

dadman and JimEWrld repped this.
  14. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    Thanks, I can see where you would pretty much have to call OS, my concern was if that would make any player in OSP fair game to be fouled without repercussion, but alas, we always have the misconduct available to us.
    Interfering with opponent is key here as well.
    A defender should not be able plow over/push an OSP opponent who has no intention on making a play on the ball as that attacker has a right to his/her place on the field.

dadman repped this.
  15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    True -- at least at a theoretical level. But in a practical world, if the OSP attacker doesn't interfere with the opponent, what is going to lead the defender to foul?

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Testosterone.

dadman repped this.
  17. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Local club Celtic has 4 sub names. Harps, Hoops, Hibs, Druids. i believe the teams get the names as they are formed and keep them throughout regardless of who is in what division. for example there were 3 u9 boys teams. Harps(silver), Hoops(bronze) and Druids(bronze). Girls u11 has 2 teams Hoops(silver elite) and Harps(bronze).

I've seen some clubs use coach last name as there ”team” names. (fc whatever u12b Tidwell)

18. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Varsity HS girls match. Close, competitive game. White gets a corner kick.

"Hey, which one you want to do? Let's do "stripper". Ok, set play stripper everyone!"

:cool:

MOREFFIN repped this.
  19. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    How do you sleep at night!

20. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mom at a recreational district all-star semi-final, who only sees us in yellow all the time since the Rec teams never get assigned yellow jerseys, asks, "The green shirts looks nice, are those championship jerseys?"

dadman repped this.
  21. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boys' HS game (dual-ref system), white vs. red. A player from the white team is bringing the ball up along the right touchline, attempts to pass to a teammate, and instead the ball hits me and goes out of bounds. Red thus gets the throw-in, and I hear someone from the crowd yelling that I deserved a yellow card. :whistling:

22. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Over heard this weekend, "We Are Our Own Worst Enemies" and "Stop Digging Holes for Ourselves."
    Actually, these were the titles of Alfred's topics at last weekends US Youth Workshop.

23. MOREFFIN

MOREFFIN Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indoor tournament, new U11B teams taking the field (both wearing white), coach walks out and the first thing out of his mouth is "they (other team) need to change, we are the home team and they need to change". I don't remember the rule but have the rules laying next to the scoreboard so I go look at them. Go back with rules in hand and deliver the news that home team changes. Coach, going about 285 and wearing an ODP Staff pullover proceeds to have a complete meltdown. 75 seconds into the game he picks up a Blue Card to the bench for dissent. That worked very well, not a peep the rest of the match.

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walt Kelly said it years ago in the Pogo comic strip: We have met the enemy and he is us.

25. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Perfect Example here of an offside before a foul. Referee got this one wrong.

http://soccerrefereeusa.com/index.php/referee-testing

Click on Quiz 23 and proceed through until you find the clip.