The Things We Hear

Discussion in 'Referee' started by briansnat, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BigManIntheMiddle

Jan 10, 2013
    Inland Empire, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In doing a 14Boys game, I called OS at about the top of the PA. I raise my arm and proceed to the bottom fo the center circle. Kid kicks it over the backs who are all on the center line. We all take off after the ball and all I hear from the sideline as we approach the top of the opposing PA, "what is this Jack A$$ doing?? PUT YOUR ARM DOWN!!!"

Why, I would love to, as sprinting with an arm in the air is unnatural. But it is a requirement for ME. Just one the many things that so many spectators don't understand.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And a requirement that should be changed . . . there is no REAL reason to keep the arm in the air once it is clear that the ball is not going into the goal, but I gather we have that idiotic mechanic forced upon us because refs would drop the arm too soon . . . hmm - It dawns on me that I've never watched the arm of a pro ref on an OS kick -- do they really keep it up until it is touched on the IFK from the back third, or do they ignore the official mechanic and drop it sooner?

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Often the best first attempt . . . depends on context for me . . .

4. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They keep it up.

dadman repped this.
  5. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you said, if it's obvious the ball will not go directly into the goal (i.e. a lob over the top toward the corner flag), I'll drop my arm when I start running.

6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do you do when the kicker is then the first to touch it? Isn't that the other reason to keep your arm up?

7. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    The double touch rule is enforced on DFK just as with IFK, so the arm would add no beneficial information.

stanger repped this.
  8. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Obviously, you never watched "Deadwood." :)

campbed repped this.
  9. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    It is unnatural, and I put my hand down once it's clear the ball isn't going into the net directly.

My policy around holding my hand up is as follows:
    • Blow the whistle, hand goes up to let everyone know IFK
    • Hand down, move to the drop zone
    • Hand back up... Kick, analyze the situation and then hand down after a few seconds if it's very clear it's not going directly into the goal
    This was in response to a FIFA who said a)you look silly b)the signal only serves a purpose if there is a chance to go directly into the goal. Not in the guide to procedures so proceed at your own risk.

10. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had something similar to this once (actually twice - but that's another story), in a girls U15?? premier game. Very contentious game, they didn't like each other. Anyway at one point in the second half a white player fouled a red player pretty hard over on the parents side. Didn't seem intentional, but she got her monies worth. I called the foul, and as the girls were getting up (I got over there pretty quick to make sure there weren't any problems), I heard from the spectators behind me something to the effect, "that was #7, you remember #7". Which to me is a flat out threat, not even a veiled one.

I turned to the spectators and addressed them directly (yes I know I probably shouldn't have). I asked who had said that? I didn't expect a response, but I thought it would probably shame them into being quiet. Wrong. One guy said emphatically " I did". Surprised me, but I said "you are out of here". Along with some mutterings to no one in particular "ridiculous, that's sick, can't believe imploring kids to hurt each other" (something like that). Took a bit, but the guy finally left.

Yea, I probably didn't handle that correctly, but in my mind, that's really sick to encourage kids to hurt each other. Just "not right in the head" kind of stuff. One of those things that's makes me forget my reffing hat and become a human for a bit.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen games like that, but in that instance the spectator could have been asking you to remember #7, if she does it again, card her. That's the way I read your recollection, not a threat on the player.

12. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Me too, but I would probably toss the guy for that also.

13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the soccer soap opera based in England?

14. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    Ah, misunderstandings...
    Once had a coach with a foreign accent ask me what I was "drinking".
    Thinking this was a bit over the top I let him know that I take the game seriously and felt that that comment was unacceptable.
    Turns out he was questioning what I was "thinking".
    We had a bit of a chuckle and I told him I guess that's a bit more acceptable and confessed that perhaps the thought of getting a drink after the tournament did cross my mind.

Bubba Atlanta and MOREFFIN repped this.
  15. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So..... apparently, I "need to go back to ref school. They need to teach [me] the rules"

-Coach after his team lost the game. All my fault of course.

dadman repped this.
  16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I know that coach.

dadman repped this.
  17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell him you were ref home schooled.

mtn335, Rufusabc, J'can and 5 others repped this.
  18. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that coach gets around...coulda sworn he was in a few of my games this season.

dadman repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think I know him, too. Douchebag Academy Premier Elite, right?

mtn335, dadman and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  20. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I thought I remembered him from the U12 Rec World Cup Champions team. Must have a twin brother.

dadman repped this.
  21. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done!

Don't you mean FC Douchebag Academy Premier Elite?

Thought every club in the US had "FC" in the description now...:)

mtn335, techguy9707 and dadman repped this.
  22. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA

... or FC Douchebag Academy Premier Elite BROWN

I see all kinds of colors attached to team names and the parents get all huffy about them in the "parent" forums I have read. Basically "my" team is better than yours because we are the black team, you are merely the charcoal/fuschia/chartreuse team.

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  23. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the colors actually mean something across the board? Or is it club by club? Region by region? I've always wondered when I've seen that.

The club I was with growing up just said one travel team was "A" other was "B" if there was more than one in an age group...

24. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club by club. One nearby club's top team is the "Black" team. Another club uses "Black" for their 5th team. And don't get me started on the clubs that affiliate with a multinational apparel manufacturer--it's not enough to just buy the uniforms, but the club's teams are labeled "Copa" or "Samba" or "Swoosh".

refinDC repped this.
  25. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    "Wait, what?! There are rules I'm supposed to know? They just threw this yellow shirt at me and said get out there."