The Theo Walcott Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    Let's say we get the 15M quoted in the papers. Who do we get to replace Walcott?

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin?

deaner1971 repped this.
  3. bahn

bahn New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nah. even though time to time he had his moment last season, most of his performances were not up to the standards.

4. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At his age, each year can be a quantum leap in performance. Only way to know if to get him out there. Get him out there now and, if it looks like he needs additional time, better to know by August 31st.

5. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Possibly, but I'd like him to have some cover / competition / mentoring, (call it what you will)

6. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    Hasn't Wenger said he sees him as a central midfielder in the future?

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    put gervinho on the right!

8. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is going to happen anyway. I expect a pretty big year from Gervinho now that he'll have players with him who like to make late runs on cut-backs.

9. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it was early days and Gervinho was confident he was doing well, but was lacking that final ball (terribly). As the year went on he lost confidence and the rigors of a season in England took over, not to mention the ACN.

"We" seem to be down on Gervinho right now, but I believe he'll come around this year. The first season is always the hardest.

mwojt21 repped this.
  10. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still holding out hope that Theo might still make that next leap in performance/consistency. He is still a young player, so its a possibility. Barring those improvements, though, I think before long we'll see both AOC & Ryo catching (and passing) him on the depth charts.

11. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I was a little disappointed when Gervinho wasnt one of the pelanty takers against Southampton. Would have been a nice 'no pressure' way to build his goal side confidence

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    AOC certainly, I don't quite get the Ryo love quite yet.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    gervinho is a good player but frustrating, i wasn';t hating, just want him out right where he is more comfortable

14. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that money has to go into a CAM, unless the plan is to move RvP there with Giroud up front.

15. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Thomas Müller.

16. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryo Miyaichi?

17. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Ryo probably needs another loan

18. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    None of the players we have last season are ready to replace Walcott. Chamberlain is 19 years old and looked out of depth frequently last season, he's probably 1-2 seasons away from being a good starter. Miyachi is young too and it's fair to say that his loan last season to Bolton wasn't a success, and many Bolton fans grew to be extremely frustrated by him. Gervinho has proven himself to be a better dribbler than Walcott but also to have less football intelligence than Walcott, he's not going to be the guy to carry the team and make the team tick. People hate on Walcott but fact is he's one of the few players we have left that are able to make things happen. Even when he plays like utter crap because of our opponent not giving him space, he's making space for our other players to shine.

wanye_stirrear and goonermaui repped this.
  19. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Well said...I agree.

20. bahn

bahn New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only if Wenger is ready to spend more, there are better options out there. But, I don't see that happening any time soon in this overly inflated world of football.

21. LFCeasierthan123

Jul 23, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Liverpool have been linked with Walcott, have you guys heard anything about this?

Why isn't he signing a new deal at Arsenal? Or have Arsenal not offered him one?

22. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He hasn't signed a new deal because he wants to earn more than what the club (or anyone with half a brain) are willing to give him. The Liverpool rumors are around because he hasn't signed a new contract and grew up as (and still is) a Liverpool supporter. As far as I know there's nothing substantial to them, but people love to connect dots even if they're cutting halfway across the page.

23. LFCeasierthan123

Jul 23, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I can't see Liverpool paying him the wages if Arsenal won't.

What would he want 80k? In the past we'd have paid that, as we did for Joe Cole, but I think our new management and owners don't want to make those mistakes again. As we saw this summer refusing to meet the demands for Sigurdson.

24. bahn

bahn New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Personally I'd take Walcott over Dempsey any day. Even though he seems like a limited player, he can be the difference between two sides - like the euro match against Sweden.

25. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rumors are that we offered 80K and Walcott wants 100K. It could be that the new management will buy Walcott for the same reason that the old one brought Joe Cole, to appease the fans and give them hope. At least Walcott isn't a washed up 28 year old on the back of a poor season that Joe Cole was when he signed, so he can't be anywhere near as bad a signing as Joe Cole.