The Theo Walcott Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i wish they'd taken the time to have eduardo teach him that move where he kicked the ball past the defender and ran around him for it. that would have been a nice move for walcott to use.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I haven't seen any evidence of this so far this season. And he has been placed in that situation a few times too
    Yes he can :confused:

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think theo has a point to prove, at least try him there

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does he play for England?

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Theo is shite for england. I honestly think he has a point to prove as a striker, on the left he could cut inside.from diagonal balls too but he needs a shot.....if he is not performing there either, drop him

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't think it matters where you play him, he's still the same player. Our forwards move around a bunch and he gets his chances, he just doesn't convert as many as he should. Would you move him into RVP's spot? Or switch to 442? Like i already said, i don't see it making any difference.

7. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Play Ox, Ryo, Park, or Benayoun tired of Theo. He hasn't progressed as much as he should've.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Theo's lack of progress isn't entirely his fault

The club hasn't done that great of a job developing players with this last group. The only one who looked like shit at first but improved by a lot is Song, and even then he goes off the rails.

Theo is just apart of the same problem, imo

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Interesting. I think that is due to the lack of competition. They grew too comfortable.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, its the thing Arsenal fans say in a hundred different ways but wont explicitly say.

The last group fucced up. Most of those guys are gone now.

11. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of competition? Not for Theo, he's never been first on the team sheet. Even last year only about 2/3 of his appearances were starts.

12. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I was moreso referring to the group as a whole

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, just saying Theo needs another excuse. I actually hope he does well, but it's been five years now? That's a long time. I really soured on him when he began his literary career. Still have no idea what he thinks he's got to share as a 22 year old part time starter.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    LMAO perhaps he caught a vibe from the renowned author with whom he shares a last name. He's just stagnated and hasn't done enough to warrant any further starts. Let C.Y. play or hell play Ryo left and Gerv right.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would play theo, gervinho and rvp as a fluid 3 with rvp dropping deeper playing diagonal balls....I personally want rvp up top, theo left, gervinho right and arshavin just behind rvp as it seems the trend now a la united, barca, real and even city to have 3 or 4 players changing position in this area of the pitch

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I know Theo can be a somewhat frustrating player, but he does produce chances and goals. I fail to understand what people expect exactly from him. The hype has tinted people's expectations I fear and he'll never live up to them. His trend in goals+assists has been up nearly every season he's been here. So far in 7 games this season, he's scored 3 and setup 1. Need I remind that we've only scored 7 goals and 4 of them have come off his boots.

Seriously, how many goals + assists does he need to get this season for people to think he's worth his starting job?

17. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I get where you're going with this, but wouldn't we be much better off with Wilshere in Arshavin's place?

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arshavin is more of a goal threat, wilshere and song in the middle works for me

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't compare Theo to Hernadez. They are different players. Hernandez has several flaws to his game; his passing, first touch and interplay all need work. But Chicharito is in the top percentile in the game, for movement off the ball. When you combine that with very sharp finishing, blistering pace, a good leap and clinical finishing, you have a very very good striker.

That said, Walcott is similar to Chicharito in some ways. But the problem with Walcott isn't the position he's being played in. He's not developed as a player and some of that is down to him. But Arsenal are now going to rely on him to basically be a consistent performer. At 22, most players aren't the finished article. He's shown signs of improvement overall, even if he isn't where some expected him to be by now.

I think a position switch might help him round out his game, but I don't think it is crucial. More than anything I think he needs to know the manager is confident in his ability and he needs players around him who will make him better and he needs to play to a game plan.

Very very VERY few players are more than useful at 22 for top teams. Count the number of players under 22 who have made an impact at Chelsea or United in the last 6 years. Not that many who have sustained it over a season.

20. blaza

blaza Member

May 1, 2004
    Charlotte, NC--USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. He isn't Titi, but the guy is 22 years old and while he may look lost at times, the stats don't lie and Theo has been showing just fine in that area for quite a while now.

21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't judge anyone too harshly until we've had a few more matches to work out the kinks.

Even RVP has looked dull and at times completely ineffective.

22. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    One thing you can't fault Walcott for is his work ethic and determination, even if it isn't quite working out for him. As someone else said give it some time even though he is highly frustrating to watch. Sometimes its almost as if he tries too hard, but with some players that constant 'trying too hard' works out for the best in the end. Hopefully with him it does too.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no, thats actually one of the biggest gripes against him.

His work ethic on defending rivals Arshavin at times.

I refuse to write Theo off until we see him playing centrally, but I have my doubts whether that will really matter with him.

24. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I guess I'm seeing wrong but he seems to work hard for me. He complains a lot but he makes those sprints a lot.

25. bardsoccer

bardsoccer Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Venice
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all I wasn't comparing Theo to Chicharito. I was responding to whomever said that Theo can't play up front because he can't play with his back to goal. My response was that neither can Chicharito but he does fine for himself. Clearly there are differences in the two players. What I find funny is that you say "Don't compare Theo to Hernandez" and then you do just that. I believe that Theo's position is an issue. He's not a winger, he can't cross and he plays terrible defense, but he is a very deft finisher and can find gaps in the defense.