The Theo Walcott Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    one of the few guys to have consistently improved despite the obvious increase in stature/paycheck

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice idea Steppa to give kudos where due, in the midst of all the recent negativity about the team & coach!

Just one thing... who is the "G" in TVNG???

I'm guessing the other 3 are Theo, Van Persie, Nasri.

3. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TVNG = Theo Van Nasregas. G is for Cesc Fabregas.

;)

4. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Yeah. He is slowly discovering his footballing brain. He needs to shoot more often. Still gets that deer in the headlights look once he stops running. His performance against Chelsea and Cnutley was epic. Feo, Feo, Feo....

5. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just wanted to make a Theo specific comment. What the fcuk has happened to his attitude? Every time a defender gives him a little nudge or something he stops and looks at the ref. The Theo of 2-3 years ago wouldn't have done that.

I know all the constant kicking and his injury woes probably have affected his mentality wrt physicality of the game but the staff/captains needs to have a word and tell him to get on with it.

The lack of discipline in the squad needs to be dealt with.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, i noticed and mentioned it in the game thread a few games ago. he's been very whiny with the referee and gone to ground ridiculously easy. yes, he's getting kicked and bumped but, even for his size, he's going to ground way too easy. i wish somebody would show him the highlight, i think, against liverpool where he was pushed and nearly knocked down on the counter but he held on and we got a goal out of it.

7. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just the referees, it seems he's taken the Henry role on with some of the teammates as well. Perhaps it's also frustration over the transfer moves (or lack of them?)

8. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from his play, which has a tendency to frustrate me, it's not as if he's wrong when he's chosen to bitch. He usually has been the victim of an uncalled (usually a yellow-card worthy shirt-tug) foul and he had reason to be unhappy with Jenkinson's play. The problem is that he's showing up teammates and refs with his displays. He needs to work on avoiding that.

9. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And today he stopped playing in the middle of a challenge to complain at the ref, and immediately got a stupid yellow card when he remembered there was still a game going on. That's unacceptable, and I hope someone has words with him. It looked like afterwards players were yelling at him, but maybe that's just my imagination.

He's another player I wish would just STFU and play. The ratio of what he produces on the pitch and how often I see his name in the press is completely ********ed.

10. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I really think your being too harsh, hes just trying to add some aggression to his game & sometimes when you do that it's hard to contain yourself.

I think he has done well so far this season, a good season so far and hes only 4 games in. His improvement is steady but the important thing he is improving season on season.

11. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he should use that aggression to not get pushed off the ball so easily then. I don't mean to be hard on him; I really do think he's quality at times. I just don't think he can be a starting winger for Arsenal at this point. At least until his form improves. I still want him on the squad and at the club, but his performance today was terrible.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer moves? Theo needs to look in the mirror. No transfer is going to cover for his lack of development. Don't know why he's writing a book when he hasn't accomplished shit. I hope we can sell him off to Liverpool for a chunk of change. His career is going nowhere right now.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think theo needs a shot upfront or on the left cutting in because he can't cross and cutting inside to his stronger foot gives him more options. Chamberlaiin looks more accomplished as a right winger with his crossing ability and skill.

14. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely, just speculating on why he has taken this turn with his personality on the pitch. ;)

15. blaza

blaza Member

May 1, 2004
    Charlotte, NC--USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I totally agree about Theo whining like a b*tch, this is just not true.

The guy's career is actually going quite well, he is scoring goals, assisting on goals, and a regular in the English setup. He's no Messi, but he's developing quite well IMHO.

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Whoa! I didn't mean to start something. I think Theo is doing okay. He obviously hasn't lived up to the hype, but considering what the press has put on him that's understandable. Once we get Gervinho back and Arteta/Song settle in together, I think we'll see a lot more quick counters of the Arsenal of old and he'll be key to that. Long term, I think it's time to give him a shot up front and if that doesn't work out we should consider shipping him off but that 2-3 seasons down the road IMHO.

My frustration as at his attitude. Yes, he hasn't been wrong when he's bitched, but being correct does not change. I don't have a real problem with him lighting up Jenkinson the other game because he deserved it. I just want someone on the club to do the same for him when he deserves it which he often does.

Not playing to the whistle is a big no-no in my opinion and he's done that several times already.

17. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play him up front!

18. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    With his attitude, I wouldn't mind seeing Park or Benayoun take his spot.

19. bardsoccer

bardsoccer Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Venice
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. Let him lead the line up top, Van Persie drops back deep anyway.

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Theo play with his back to the goal?

Short answer is no.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He can anti, he's bulked up the last 2 years

22. bardsoccer

bardsoccer Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Venice
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Javier Hernandez play with his back to goal? Short answer, not really.

23. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need to place him in a striker's role. He gets stereotyped as a winger due to his pace and nimbleness, but that pace could be Henry-esque and tear defences apart. Of course everybody says that, but IMO even though he's been at the club for years now, he still has to prove himself. I think he has the potential to be a top striker, the new Henry/Wrighty.

24. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Hmm..let's see

Pace? Yep
    Close control? lulz
    First touch? Ummm
    Ability to beat markers one v one? Check the tape

In other words, so far, no bueno

25. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    agreed

he definitely shows flashes, but the argument that his skill set would be better used as a CF is wrong imo.

firstly, the team setup doesnt allow it. RVP is our best player, putting him on the wing wont work as he doesnt have a lot of speed. youd either see him getting caught too deep or too high.

secondly, walcott hasnt proven himself over a full season. a CF has to produce all season long 1 in 3 at the very least at a club like arsenal. theo is wastefull in front of goal. Edit here: i know he scored about 13 or so last season, but stats lie ;).

the only thing going for him is there is less pressure to pick a pass at CF, closer combination play and being on the end of balls would indeed suit him better, but the way our system works theos speed wouldnt even be utilized at CF. until he can beat his man to the byline consistently against teams like swansea, west brom, fulham etc etc he needs to be on the bench to me.

dont get me wrong, im rooting for him, but if wenger buys players and doesnt show theo the bench even for a short time, ill be dissapointed.