The Texan Gets His Spurs: Dempsey at Tottenham [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Vote for your favorite thread title (options pulled from suggestions in the previous thread).

Poll closed Sep 2, 2012.
  1. Spurned by Fools; Spurred to Greatness: Dempsey at Tottenham!

12.1%
  2. I can go off my Xanax now that the Deadline has passed: Dempsey at Spurs [R]

5.1%
  3. The Texan Gets His Spurs: Dempsey at Tottenham

38.9%
  4. Spurring Tottenham to the Champions League: Clint Dempsey

3.5%
  5. Put on your Spurs and Ride! Clint Dempsey at Tottenham

3.1%
  6. Clint dusts off his Spurs. Dempsey at Tottenham

5.8%
  7. Earning his Spurs: Clint Dempsey in a Shootout at the N17

1.6%
  8. Tottenham drops a Deuce in the Liverpool?

18.3%
  9. Clint goes (north-)eastward to earn his Spurs

1.2%
  10. Spur of the Moment: Dempsey at Tottenham

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Awesome for him. Happy for our guy. Deserves it.

2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I posted before I don't think that story is accurate. Unless they know something I don't I believe he's on £60k per week, similar to Pienaar when we bought him from Everton.

3. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be $15m over 3 years by the way.

Also I'm not sure if this is the case but Levy likes to put one year extension options in shorter contracts, like ones 3 years and under.

4. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I got a very original name for the thread. "The new Dempsey Thread"! Sounds great to me. Much less annoying then usual shit.

5. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Than.
    As in, you're more uptight about title puns than everyone else.

Anyone know if AVB has commented on our guy?

GiuseppeSignori and bungadiri repped this.
  6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Takes a deuce in pool... I loce it".. Also any brain exploding website about pool would be great

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was really hoping for "The Kid's a Yid: Demp's a Spur" but alas, no luck.

8. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Demerit's in trouble- Clint might just have a better movie on his hands! :)

Borrachin repped this.
  9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Congratulations to Clint on a nice move and a challenge... can't wait to see him play for Tottenhamerica!

10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So what are the names Clint will be competing with. I know nothing about totter ham. Also the iPad hates the name gotten ham. Is this the first time that friedel and Clint will play together?

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Sports offers how Dempsey will fit in at Spurs:

Whether Dempsey has lucked out in terms of where he landed is open to interpretation. Certainly Tottenham is closer to being a Champions League side than Liverpool at the moment, given that only Chelsea's march to the title last year prevented Spurs from qualifying. And Tottenham's London roots mean that Dempsey will not be forced to uproot his family.

But playing time would appear to be tougher to come by at Spurs as opposed to Liverpool. Dempsey's biggest competitor for playing time will likely be Aaron Lennon, who currently occupies the right side of midfield in Andre Villas-Boas' 4-2-3-1. And while the American certainly has a greater nose for goal than Lennon, the incumbent's speed sets him apart.

It's possible that Dempsey could be deployed centrally now that Rafael van der Vaart has left for Hamburg, but with Moussa Dembele and Gylfi Sigurdsson in the mix, the quest for first-team minutes will be far from easy, even if the American's history has been such that he always has found a way to break into the starting lineup.

But at least now, Dempsey can now focus on maneuvering his way out of trouble on the field as opposed to off it.

Obligatory cheesy picture:

[​IMG]

12. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't see Dembele playing AM much when Sig/Demps are available...Dembele was fun to watch from the start at Fulham but he really only started thriving with the move to CM.

13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the ESPN reporter that he will most likely be competing with Aaron Lennon at outside midfield for minutes. Lennon has just signed a new contract.

There was some suggestion during the summer transfer window that Lennon could be on his way out of Tottenham, with Andre Villas-Boas keen to put his own stamp on the squad he inherited from Harry Redknapp.
    The Portuguese tactician has, however, tied the 25-year-old winger down on a new deal.
    "We are delighted to announce that Aaron Lennon has signed a new contract until 2016," read a statement on the club's official website.
    "The winger joined us from Leeds in July 2005 and, at the age of 25, has already made 270 First Team appearances in our colours, scoring 25 goals."

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Fabulous song from one of the best albums of all time. And funny as well.

15. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Amerenham

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am stoked... I mean stoked that it's Spurs, or should I say spurred that it's not Stoke... or Villa, or Sunderland or some other team like that. Seriously this is just awesome, for a minute there it seemed as if the move wouldn't happen and then the news came through, and I'm really excited about seeing Dempsey in the Tottenham shirt. Ironically, Hotspurs are a special club for me, as it was White Hart Lane where I saw my first "European" football match... way back in 1998, and FA Cup 3rd round game against.... would you believe it, Fulham! Back then the Cottagers were in the 3rd tier or something like that but had just come into money and had Keegan in charge I think, and Spurs had Klinnsman and Ginola playing for them. On the way to the stadium, I met a friendly bloke who worked for the club and was delighted to see an American showing interest in his club, so before the match he showed me around inside the stadium, got to see the dressing room, etc.... so it's great to see an American (outfield) player now playing there.

With that said, there was a part of me that did want to see him go to Liverpool. Although, that's more to do with the historical prestige of the club, rather than their current state.... also in terms of playing time, I thought Liverpool might offered more guarantees, seeing that Rogers had been talking up Dempsey's ability a long time ago. But wow did Liverpool really botch that one.. can't believe they let a 35 million pound player go on loan and then won't cough up an extra couple of quid on a player whose goals could lift you up the table and whose shirt sales back in his home country would've probably made the money back anyway. So I guess Liverpool got what they deserved! Anyhoo... can't wait to see Dempsey in action now. COYS!

17. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United Spurs of America kind of rolls right off the tongue, though...

cpwilson80 repped this.
  18. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I believe that the next time Friedel and Dempsey take the field on the same team will be the first time. Friedel's early retirement from national team duty came just before the rise of Dempsey. (I checked line-ups but not rosters, so it's possible Dempsey sat on the bench for a game in which Friedel played.)

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Luckily for Clint that Aaron Lennon is pretty fragile and prone to dips in form.

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word whether Dempsey will be on the bench for Spurs today?

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He wasn't registered in time, so no. Best case scenario, he uses the international break and quallies to get back into game shape and comes back to start.

Also, not to give anything away, but I hope Fulham are enjoying life without their best 2 players....

dwm5 repped this.
  22. mcfunky

mcfunky New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I think Clint would do great in a faster thinking/passing system. Some of his best moments are from being central, playing a quick one touch ball out wide, crashing the box and getting on the end of a cross. Often times at Fulham he was looking to play/move quicker than his teammates, they were holding him back. He doesn't usually linger on the ball in possession (any more - in the past he had some very bad turnovers) unless he is in lots of space and moving forward. I really want to see him in a free flowing, quick passing side, I think he would fit right in.

23. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he gets the #10 shirt.

24. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and based on yesterday's Twitter activity, he's going to be boo'd everytime he touches the ball against Liverpool, Aston Villa, Sunderland, etc., etc.

Lots of hate to go around, from jilted fans to fans with anti-American agendas. Here's hoping Dempsey continues to prove the naysayers wrong. C'mon Dempsey! C'mon Spurs!

25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have to say that Clint looks both happy and relieved in this photo.

He'll probably have to rotate more with other players until he proves himself, but his ability to get goals and play smart football will earn him plenty of playing time.