The Texan Gets His Spurs: Dempsey at Tottenham [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Vote for your favorite thread title (options pulled from suggestions in the previous thread).

Poll closed Sep 2, 2012.
  1. Spurned by Fools; Spurred to Greatness: Dempsey at Tottenham!

12.1%
  2. I can go off my Xanax now that the Deadline has passed: Dempsey at Spurs [R]

5.1%
  3. The Texan Gets His Spurs: Dempsey at Tottenham

38.9%
  4. Spurring Tottenham to the Champions League: Clint Dempsey

3.5%
  5. Put on your Spurs and Ride! Clint Dempsey at Tottenham

3.1%
  6. Clint dusts off his Spurs. Dempsey at Tottenham

5.8%
  7. Earning his Spurs: Clint Dempsey in a Shootout at the N17

1.6%
  8. Tottenham drops a Deuce in the Liverpool?

18.3%
  9. Clint goes (north-)eastward to earn his Spurs

1.2%
  10. Spur of the Moment: Dempsey at Tottenham

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey?

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    If my memory is correct, AVB was the coach when Demps was signed. So how is he not an AVB guy?

3. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Because Levy does the transfer dealings at WHL?

4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    He's let his interwebz fame go to his head a bit I think.

Totally agree with this. I think he's got a lot of that continental snobbery. "Zee goal does not count unlezz eet is passed into zee net".

That is what I saw when they refused to do a little route one against qpr, even though it probably was the only way they could score in that one.

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weather has put today's game in doubt, but it is officially on for 11 am. Hopefully Deuce starts.
    Update:

Pl@ymaker and bungadiri repped this.
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    every single club has a general manager, or whatever they are called in the UK. Do you have inside information that AVB was not consulted?

7. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Levy is the chairman at Spurs, not a 'general manager' or director of football.

Harry Redknapp has publicly stated several times that Levy rang him up offering him players, especially on deadline day, which is what will have happened in this case - Levy will have rung Villas-Boas on deadline day and asked if he could use Dempsey as he was available, rather than Villas-Boas going to Levy asking to get Dempsey.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    How do you know this or just your speculation? As I recall AVB put Demps directly into the line-up. Not what you might expect if he was given a player he did not want.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    in other words, you have no information and were just making speculations.

wsmaugham repped this.
  10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree that's how it played out. And AVB said, "yes, get him". Good decision by both men. He's helped the team, and once again, came cheap for the numbers he's putting up.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream at fault for the goal.

Oops, wrong thread :D

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Well, the words of ex Tottenham managers generally have some weight in my eyes but if you wish to believe Spurs have abandoned their very successful long term recruitment strategy and handed it to the manager then fair enough..

Villas-Boas' long term targets at Chelsea and Spurs have been Moutinho, Willian and Damiao. He couldn't get any of them in January so when offered Dempsey by Levy, he took a very versatile player who was available at a bargain price.

He started on the bench, came into the starting line up, and when everyone was available, went back to the bench.

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Who wouldn't be happy after a good gazumping?

adi21 repped this.
  14. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dempsey scores in the 92nd minute to earn Spurs a well-deserved point v. Man United, making amends for missing a sitter when put clean through 1-on-1 against the goalkeeper who saved with his leg.

16. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His two goals vs Man U (resulting in 4 pts) has already made his signing a sucess. Huge goal and point. Clutch.

Pl@ymaker and futbal4eva repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Damn Deuce, that's 4 points against ManU.

What the spuds are saying now?

18. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 goals in 4 games now for Deuce. Now is a better time than any to solidify his place in the starting XI with Adebayor at AFCON. Big ups to AVB for sticking with Deuce even though it wasn't his best performance...I kept thinking he would get pulled for Siggy around the 65-70th minute but it didn't happen.

19. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint should have been more clinical and wasn't at his sharpest in general, but a last minute goal against Man Utd will help his standing with the fans. It wasn't just him struggling to beat De Gea either- Spurs had 25 shots. Defoe blew a couple of good chances and Lennon missed Dempsey running into the box unmarked. Overall I thought Lennon and Dempsey were their best attackers, Dembele too if you can count him as an attacker.

20. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    25 shots means others had chances to be more clinical as well; de Gea's 2nd half save on Dempsey I suspect is forgiven by most Spuds fans by now with his dramatic tieing shot.

Kind of a nice role reversal, Tottenham salvaging a point rather than conceding a goal in final minutes.

While Fergie time wasn't so much fun - or maybe not long enough? - for Manchester United.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lennon was easily man of the match.

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint has many facets to his game but at the core he is a poacher and ultimately a poacher can be non-existent until that one key moment in the match.

23. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I thought Dempsey didn't get involved enough in the 1st half, but by the end got much more involved. He made a few costly and unforced errors throughout the game, but in the end he justified his place by showing he is a player who will score goals. 7/10

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey's a BAMF. Spurs are lucky to have him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.