The Stock Parade Might Be Ending

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by JohnR, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's been a glorious 4 years.

A crummy economy and a Democratic President are a great combination for stock investing, because the old, white people who have money dislike both items. They listen to Rush and Glenn and read the WSJ and figure the U.S. is going under and they should sell their stocks and buy gold and guns.

And then stock prices go up, because there's nothing the stock market likes more than climbing the wall of worry.

But ... I think the good times are coming to an end. The economy is strengthening, investors are realizing that they've missed a lot of gains by owning bonds that pay 2%, and gold that's been flat for 18 months now (although in fairness, gold was a great play before then), the WSJ has quieted its drumbeat on how Obama is destroying businesses and the economy. For the first time in recent memory investors are putting money into U.S. stock mutual funds.

Be careful. When the everyday investor realizes what's up, it's usually too late.

Oh and a link to an academic article that supports this argument -

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/01/investing

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So you're saying we should be guy gold and guns?

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Good call, the DOW is up 24% YTD.

4. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lol. Hindsight's always 20/20.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ha, I was a bit early! Or maybe just wrong. Well no worries, it's not as if I went and bought gold.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    L
    Always, but then I don't try to time the market or pretend to be a professional like John.

7. Go Badgers!

Go Badgers! New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    What's next? The market is so high, but the alternative is collecting 1% at the bank. I'm still playing the market, but with trailing stops.