The Sore Losers Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Don't understand why that guy is still alive given how high cigarette taxes are, surely he should have killed himself by now. Justifiable suicide that would be. Heaven's gate will open.

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    FWIW, the tanning tax exempted businesses that bundled tanning as part of their services, like gyms. Standalone tanning salons were probably unfairly screwed.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As was asked in another thread... Why do you need a tanning salon in Key West?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the whole thing was a very petty Eff You to Boehner.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently not all gays care about being allowed to marry...

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but Lieberman did the same thing. And had his ticket won, he would have had to vacate his Senate seat (still a Dem at the time) which is pretty solidly Democratic without a primary and a Republican governor who could have filled the seat for two years with a Republican. All this with the Senate very even.

I have a lot of animosity for congressmen who view the seat as "theirs" as opposed the people of that state.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I woiudn't call three of 12 (Sumlin was on board before the Aggies switched conferences) "a number", especially when the three are Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Mississippi State on probation. And Joker Phillips is history.

You're being kind with "colored", too. My dad was at the USC game and heard first hand what was said about their (Black) QB and backfield.

I know about the panties, and I think that favors my point more than it does yours. If you know for a fact that he tried to influence the cops with his AD position, that'd be one thing, but you used "allegedly".

They were happy with Evans (thus the pay raise). But I think UGA thought they had the sort of man who'd "know his place", so to speak, which was to never, ever dally with Scarlett O'Skank. He broke the same SEC rule that sent Charlie Strong to Louisville instead of Florida once Urban left. Unless you can prove he went all Michael Irvin on the cops ("Do you know who I am????"), Yoss, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

FWIW, I don't think Palmer was a QB in HS, tho he might have been. Ward was. Chris Leak played four seasons at Florida and was the QB responsible for their 2006 B(C)S title, despite all the Tebow hype.

Zow's story just pisses me off every time I think about it. Dude is the best QB Alabama's had since Rutledge. He won the SEC in 1999 and when Mike Dubose (the second coach hired to dodge Croom) proved to have no character and was fired, the replacement Alabama brought in to dodge Croom (a guy named Dennis Franchione) benched Zow for enough games to ruin any chance he might have at meaningful (Sunday) football. Rumor has it that Zow's color was behind the benching.

8. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You are like a broken record. Maybe, just maybe, he was fired for conduct unbecoming to a AD at a Div 1 college? You seem to have more of a problem with him being fired then he himself does. Also, a month before this happened an intern in the governors office was killed by a drunk driver, considering he recorded a taped message that was played at every home game about drunk driving, how can you act like there wasn't legitimate reasons for his termination? And, ohh yea, he was still 90 min from home when he was arrested for the DUI. Hes lucky he didnt kill someone.

--"The contract calls for Evans to "act at all times in a manner consistent with good sportsmanship and with the appropriate moral, ethical and academic standards of the university."

--"Language in the contract spells out that Evans can be fired if he is convicted of a felony crime or a crime of moral turpitude."

--""I am not trying to bribe you but I am the athletic director of the University of Georgia," Evans said, according to the officer identified in the report as M. Cabe." --Evans

--"My behavior and my actions are not indicative of what we teach our student athletes," he said. "My actions have put a black cloud over our storied program." -- Evans

--"I feel pretty good," he told the officer, before laughing for no apparent reason, according to the report. The trooper said Evans later told him: "We go through life and we all drink and jump in a car."

--"He was the public face of the school's athletic department, and starred in a taped message played at every home football game that urges fans not to drive under the influence. "If you drink and drive, you lose," he says.

Sources: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5350178
    http://onlineathens.com/stories/070510/foo_665365137.shtml

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What was UGA's record at the time? Surely that is the critical issue.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    FWIW, the last time I remember a black coaching candidate getting serious consideration was Turner Gill at Auburn, and there was some below-the-surface talk about how fans would react to a black coach with a white wife. Though I think there's enough evidence to suggest that Gene Chizhik may have been the right choice.

Still, that Turner Gill, who had a losing record at Buffalo, was considered hot shit tells you about the poor state of minority hiring, not just in the SEC, but in college football overall (though things seem to be getting better at the coordinator level).

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use allegedly because I'm an attorney who is careful with language, and it wasn't proven in a court of law. But the officer stated as much in his police report. He clearly thought Evans was trying to influence him.
    Sure, but I'll disagree based on known facts and you'll disagree based on speculation. Evans was Dooley's (who I do not like) hand-picked successor and was also liked by Michael Adams, the president. In fact, Evans (his appointment that is) was one of the few issues that Dooley and Adams, who didn't have a good relationship, agreed upon. The idea that they fired him because cavorting with a white woman was taboo is, as I said, pure speculation, nothing more.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tops and bottoms.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    luftmensch repped this.
  14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Outside of buying the best college player on the market, what has Gene Chizik done? He spent two years at Iowa State leaving the program in decidedly worse shape than it was in when he got there. And now, Auburn is a doormat. Yeah, he won a championship. So did Thomas Rongen.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You didn't say this earlier. If you had, I'd have retracted it then.

Why didn't Dooley and Adams get along?

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's probably because you keep resetting the needle to what you like to read, dumbass. The (unassailable) remainder of that post didn't interest you, for whatever reason.

17. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Ive been reading this forum for almost 10 years, im pretty sure i know your past posting history. Sorry i pointed out that you cant blame "the man" for this one. Also, stop with the name calling. My feelings are hurt.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It wasn't below the surface in my neighborhood. We knew he wasn't going to get that gig.

Chizik ain't even .500 without Cam. Alabama A&M's going to give Auburn a respectable game. That's how right a choice Chizik was. We don't know what Gill would have done if he'd gotten the nod at his Alma, or Croom at his. But yeah, Black coordinators are no longer a surprise. They need Black coordinators. Saban can't go visit every recruit.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If by some minor miracle you're not the dumbass I called you earlier, you'd know that the majority of my posts are factual and the rest are speculation based on facts of similar incidents. There are no deliberate lies in my posting history.

Thanks for the interesting exchange. Peace. Go vote in 2016.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're being a little too clever by dismissing Sumlin. No, A&M didn't officially join the SEC until July, but when they hired him, the moving van was loaded, the utilities were turned off, and the forwarding address was left. He was never going to coach a single game in the Big 12.

That was 45 years ago. Hell, 45 years ago, you would've heard the same thing in Austin. Hell, Texas' 1969 national champions were the last all-white national championship football team. In all the innumerable tributes given for Darrell Royal in the last two weeks, the fact that he was more of a follower than a leader when it came to desegregation was swept under the rug a bit.

Still, I place much better odds on hearing that in Tuscaloosa in 2012 than in Austin in 2012.

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitt is at it again, blaming the "takers" for his loss. What a douche and a sore loser!
    Anyway, I don't know about you, but I have not receive my "gift" yet from President Obama. Hopefully it will arrive soon :)

" According to reports in the Los Angeles Times and New York Times, the former Republican nominee said during a call with donors on Wednesday that Obama had been “very generous” in doling out “big gifts” to “the African American community, the Hispanic community and young people” as well as to women throughout his first term. Benefits such as access to “free health care,” guaranteed contraceptive coverage, more affordable student loans, and “amnesty for children of illegals,” all combined to give the president a decisive edge in popularity."
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ies-youth-women-for-election-loss.php?ref=fpa

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I got my phone yesterday. It rings out the Adhan (our newly mandated Muslim call to prayer) five times a day. The only problem is it's set to Mecca's time zone. I have to figure out how to get it on to EST.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this stuff.

So basically the President gave the electorate what they wanted? Good policies such as affordable health care and a somewhat more reasonable (though still far from sane) immigration policy. ..... and they are mad they lost?

I mean I know the conservative movement is really off in it's own world where it only accepts things that make it feel comfortable but putting your head in the sand and thinking you can ignore the majority of the electorate in a democracy is pretty damn fanciful.

Boloni86 repped this.
  24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This gifting is so difficult these days. Dubya just had to promise everyone six hundred bucks.

Dr. Wankler, That Phat Hat and taosjohn repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romney cleaned up among the elderly. That was his base.

Does the government give THEM anything? Jesus Christ, he's batshit insane. He literally doesn't know anything about anything.