The Sore Losers Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son goes to an upper middle class middle school in the exurbs/suburbs (yay me!) with a pronounced conservative bias. He was complaining that one of the teachers was ranting against Obama.

I told him the next time it happens he should just say "you mad, bro?" I told him he'd be a legend, even among the majority of kids, who were pro-Romney.

I think he'll do it.

2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the D/R ratio for public school teachers, 90/10 or something?

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow. My 9th grade civics teacher was a member of the John Birch society who in 1995 managed to get himself booted from his office in the local American Legion on account of his extreme political views. And your guy is worse.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I doubt you'd get that spread in a reliably blue county

Teachers probably reflect the community they teach in, on average they may end up slightly to the left of the electorate, but not by that much.

My brother in law teaches elementary school in a small Indiana town. I've met most of the faculty and they're pretty conservative. I can't imagine it being any different in other small conservative towns.

Chesco United repped this.
  5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I come from a family of teachers (parents, sister, cousins, aunts/uncles) and they're all quite liberal, and virtually every teacher I know personally is as well, although that might be the fact that most of my friends and acquaintances lean left. I'd think it's a strongly left-leaning profession just due to basic self-interest if nothing else. The town I grew up in was pretty conservative but most of the teachers who I happened to know their political persuasions leaned left.

Edit: in a quick google search I saw that 2/3 of teachers union members are Democrat, but don't know where they got their info.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just saw this while going back over some posts I'd left. Missed this one.

I cannot even imagine being married to someone who'd say these things about my country's president. I can't imagine wanting to hang out with someone who did. Race/culture-based ugliness as applied to politics ought never be an "agree to disagree" issue.

It says as much about Carville as it does about Matalin. Kevin Prince Boateng was spot on when he said he was upset because he was the one who had to stand up and walk (human rights issues/chants during an AC Milan match against some other club) first before anyone else did. I see in Carville's marriage exactly what he was talking about. Carville is an example of exactly what's wrong with our society- he condones Matalin's inhumanity by continuing to be her husband. I get that he's bald and maybe she can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, but I still think he can do better than her.

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have family members (of the Christian fundamentalist variety) who say horrible things about Obama. I try to ignore them as much as possible, but I'm not perfect.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's a difference, really. You get the family you're born into (plus in-laws if you have siblings). Carville made a conscious decision to marry this woman.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Republicans usually feel the same way about Carville. Matalin's arguments really have gone downhill.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Matalin was godawful after the election, whiny and self-pitying and humorless. Unless Carville is the same, Republicans are once again making a false equivalency. (And if they are, then a pox on Carville.)

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Really. Carville can be funny, Matalin is just a bitch.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another false equivalency, eh?

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I went to a Catholic school growing up and one of my teachers was a nun. She was very progressive. She has since left the Church and is now happily married to a woman.

dapip repped this.
  15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You better provide an update if he does.

Chesco United repped this.