The Sinking (partial) of the Costa Concordia

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jan 18, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it possible that there isn't already a thread on this, or that it's not being discussed somewhere else already? if there is, I couldn't find it.

so what's up with Captain Schettino?? is this guy for real? his name has to be synonymous with cowardice at this point.

according to Captain Schettino,
    haha, ain't it funny how that happened?? he just tripped, and next thing you know, he's in the life boat! he tripped right into the life boat! and when the coast guard ordered him back unto the vessel to oversee the evacuation, he claimed it was too dark!!!

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, find it astonishing that an Italian would attempt to go to ground without justification and then complain to the authorities!

5 people repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to the Coast Guard try to get that guy back on board - stunning stuff really. You can hear the exasperation in their voices, exhorting, cajoling, begging, threatening, anything to get the captain where he belonged to help direct rescue efforts.

4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It would seem to me that the last thing the passengers needed is that coward back on the ship.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Italian Judge: "Waita minito, you a say you a trip and a fell in to a lifeboatta?"

Captain Schettino: "Dattsa my story anna Imma stickina to it!"

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That captain has a future in politics, with a story like that.

On the positive side, they say cruises will be a lot cheaper to book this year.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to hand it to the headline writers at the NY Post. They had a photo of the guy and above him, in a huge all-caps header, CHICKEN OF THE SEA :D

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    did you read that on bluehair.com?

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice. I have to find that cover online. I think the NY Post is the best when it comes to back page stuff. as a NY Jets fan, they've had some memorable back covers relating to the Jets.

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The coastguard dude was awesome.

This Schettino guy sounds like he went into captaining ships on the basis that it was a nice easy job, not expecting that shit happens on the seas. He apparently took an unauthorised detour to go past an island as a favour to his head chef, who was born there.

Fantastic excuse though. "I fell into a lifeboat".

11. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I know I shouldn't laugh, but the whole story is just soooo Italian, it cracks me up no end. wrecking a massive ship just to great the family, and then pulling a Berlusconi. :D

12. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have to figure, telling chicks he was a "captain" probably got him a lot of 'tang. perhaps second only to fighter pilots and navy seals. he was like, what?? go down with my ship???? that wasn't in my job description!

13. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to admit though, the captain has a sweet mullet! I mean look at that rich dark curly plumage!

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He must have kept that hairstyle as a shock absorber, to prepare for the likely event that he would be thrown off a ship and must land head-first into a lifeboat.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that you're just joking around at this captain's expense -- and deservedly so.

But in all seriousness, I don't think anyone becomes a ship captain on the basis that it's a nice easy job. At least in the U.S., the requirements to captain a ship that large would've required several years of schooling, passing various certification tests, and many years of on-the-job-training at sea working your way up the ladder.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no doubt. he probably started growing that mullet when he first entered the merchant marine academy - or Italy's equivalent, and has been growing it ever since. the plumage of the mullet directly corresponds to the number of years he has spend perfecting his craft. until recently, courage was not one of the job requirements I guess.

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Maybe in Patusan.

19. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It seems Germans and Italians have different ideas on whom to compare this capitano to:

[​IMG]

(I'm guilty as charged, too: )

21. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I guess that depends on which Italians you are listening to. from what I read the non-Berlusconi press was comparing the captain to Berlusconi, i.e. blissfully steering Italy close to the abyss, turning too late and then getting off without doing anything useful. and they compare the coastguard who gave the captain that classic dressing down to the new Italian government which tells the Italians to get on with it and pay their honest taxes.

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I supposed it's a very apt comparison when you think about it.

23. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
  24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...zed-ship-he-did-a-great-thing/article2307604/

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully he gets sent to jail as long as Amanda Knox did.