The Senate

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are the off term replacement rules in MA?

2. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Duval Patrick gets to pick a replacement.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite.

Recall that in 2004, when Democrats were concerned about Romney filling a vacant Kerry seat, they changed the law:

So, as it stands now:

Practically, for right now, that means that there could be a special election that coincides with the general election only if Kennedy decides to resign during a 15-window period in June.

Of course, speculation of a resignation is incredibly premature. Even if it was ultimately the decision made, unless medical issues necessitated an earlier resignation, I would think he would do it later and allow a stand-alone special election in 2009.

One thing I can't find out is if a special primary election is also mandated. The fact is that the next vacancy for Senate in Massachusetts is going to be a free-for-all on the Democratic side; half of the Congressional delegation plus Joseph Kennedy and Marty Meehan will be interested. If there's a late primary (like there usually is in Massachusetts), a solid Republican candidate could over-perform in an open election.

4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think your boy would be on the shortlist?

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. No way.

Democrats would spend everything they had to beat him and then he'd be done. Best case scenario is that he wins and then he's permanently stuck in the Senate. Romney is either VP this time (I personally hope not--I've been convinced it's a bad move for him no matter what, though I do still think, paradoxically, it's McCain's best pick); runs for President in 2012, or is done with politics.

It's hard to put together a Republican "shortlist" because a lot of people are going to line up to take on Patrick in 2010 instead of the Senate seat. That being said, Charlie Baker, the CEO of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, is always mentioned as a statewide candidate. So is US Attorney Michael Sullivan. Frank Cousins, a Sheriff, gets mentioned but he doesn't have the name ID or personal wealth to mount a strong campaign for Senate--he's likely more an LG or AG candidate next time. Andy Card would get mentioned but his ties to the Bush administration likely make him too toxic to get elected in Massachusetts.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for Gov. Cellucci or (less likely because he lives in NY, yet more popular) Gov. Weld to take a stab at it. Short of those two, Wayne Budd is probably the ideal candidate for an open seat but, at age 67, he would probably pass.

I think Baker has his eyes on challenging Patrick so, if he can be convinced, Sullivan might be the most likely candidate. Other than those two, and the names I mentioned above, it's a short bench. But like I said, if the Republicans can coalesce around one name very early, the Democrats can be beaten, because there will definitely be a multi-candidate primary.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The political truth is that once Kennedy resigns/dies, any member of his family who runs, walks in.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    On Larry King this evening, Jesse Ventura said that he is seriously thinking of running for the Senate as an independent in Minnesota.

9. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Awesome idea - everyone would be waiting for him to pull a Bully Brooks moment. I forget - what was the Body's favorite move?

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The body breaker

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If I remember correctly, by the time Ventura left office he was very unpopular.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough. But he still won a plurality of votes in a three-way statewide race (one, of course, that included Coleman), so he has somewhat of a natural base.

Even if his popularity has dipped considerably, he would be a player in the race. I don't think he could win, but he could certainly affect the outcome.

13. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm moving to Minnesota at the beginning of July, so I'm very interested in the politics there. I'm not a big fan of Ventura or Franken. What to do?

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Look at Coleman's record and consider if he's your best bet.

15. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I should have mentioned that I don't like Coleman either. But I thought that would have been obvious since I'm so liberal. I'm not completely opposed to Republicans: they just have to be extremely moderate. I like Amy Klobuchar, of course.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Then it looks like you choice will be probably Franken (still has a primary to win against a professor I think) Coleman, maybe Ventura or a third party type.

17. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Franken has become such a joke, almost a parody of himself, that he seems more like a goofball than a substantial politician. Am I being unfair? How is his campaign going? I know he has the back tax problem.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Al Franken's a smart cookie; you could do a lot worse. Rush & O'Falafel hate him so that must mean something.

19. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Take another look. Here's a pretty good article about him:

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    in that vein, Kennedy himself has indicated that he wants his wife to take over.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A GOP poll in NC has Dole up 2 against Kay Hagan.

What's going to hurt the GOPs in this cycle is that they've got very, very few stone-cold locks. In another cycle, against an unknown like Hagan, Dole could spend September in other states, campaigning for other GOP candidates. This time around, almost every GOP running for the Senate, and many, many running for the House, are going to be forced to take care of their own business. And that'll apply to money, too. The Dems are going to outspend the GOPs in every race, everywhere, that they choose to.

22. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitch McConnel trails....

very early, but that the Senate Minority leader is in a tight race speaks volumes about the world of hurt that could be awaiting the Reeps this fall..

From that same article

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the short term, and long term, the presidential race is gonna be The Big Story on election night. But if the Dems pick up ~8 Senate seats and ~30 House seats, both possible, the medium term Big Story will be the collapse of the congressional Republican party as we know it. They'll be at ~42 Senate seats, with a bad map again for 2010, and about 100 behind in the House. They'd be forced to completely revamp their ideology, their strategy, and their messaging.

From 2000 through 2004, the Republicans had an amazing, impressive streak in close races, especially in the Senate. What happened in 2006 was that the Dems won the close races. If they "split" the 50-50 Senate races this time, it'll be a good year for the Dems. If the Dems win more than their share, it'll be historic.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    If you're "so liberal," then you should not be voting for any Republicans. By voting for a moderate one, you give power to the party as a whole which is much more conservative.

25. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I haven't voted for a Republican yet.