Road to the 5th US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2012.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know that we have a game on June 19 and June 22. I was talking about our next game after the USOC game isn't to a week later. If you can't play games 4 days apart you should be play professional soccer (I think somebody said that last year, Oh yeah Frankie did).:D

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they can play, I have no doubt about that, but can they win, that is a different question.

3. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Completely agree (except that I will not be going to Columbus). The US Cup has got to be the priority for us this year. Winning this game is the most important thing.

4. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With the upcoming compressed schedule Kloppas has got to vary the starting 11 a bit. Jumper needs to get a start so that Segares gets some rest. I would also like to see Rolfe sit (for Santos or Amarikwa). Atiuba, Bone and Vidiera need to come in as subs. Don't know if it is possible to give Magee or Nyarko any break.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    no way. Open Cup is our playoffs this year. Rest the players in an mls game, we aren't going to make it to the CCL through that route anyways.

6. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This cannot be emphasized enough. The CCL will be *big* for us if we make it. We can still make the playoffs even if the worst case scenario happens and we drop a few matches. Hell, we can't win them all. But we are not going to go to the CCL any other way but by winning the Open Cup.

ceezmad repped this.
  7. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is what I meant. Rest them for the upcoming MLS game so that they are fresh for the US CUP match

8. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't need that much rest, play your best players every game.

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I wouldn't be totally opposed to resting a few against Colorado, who aren't very good anyways, and aren't conference opponents. But the starters should be able to do Columbus and Orlando 4 days later.

milicz repped this.
  10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You have to play Magee, if only to give him a chance to get a goal in five straight games for us. In order for him to do that you have to make sure there's some support in the attacking half of the field.

I'm not sure what lineup I'd choose right now.

11. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vs Crapids:
    ---Magee-Santos---
    Lind--Pal--BR--Nyarko
    ----------US------------
    ----------SJ-------------

vs Orlando:
    --Magee-Rolfe--
    Duka-Pal-Pause-Nyarko
    LB: Jumper + US
    --------SJ-------------

12. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He's a straight shooter. He knows our Club history and how much the Cup means to supporters. He also knows the playoff picture. I think that Frank should ask him for a straight-up answer: can he do both matches? Regardless of whether he answers yes or no, next Frank should ask him if he had to choose one, which match would he start? Frank should assure him that we've planned for every option (see if he buys that :ROFLMAO: ), but that we want his opinion.

bunge repped this.
  13. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

You're right. This is not a big deal, they should have no issues, play the starters.

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Fire will host the winner of DC/NE in the semis if we beat Orlando

Remember, we are unbeaten in the cup when we play in Illinois (counting the one shutout loss as a draw)

Other Semi is Dallas/Portland @ RSL/Carolina

If you ask me, thats the best possible draw for us. We can beat either of those teams easily, especially at home.

Kings of the Cup, 100th anniversary edition.

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL?

16. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I think he meant DC or NE.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad....

Well it could end up FIRE vs. RSL for the CUP......

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    yeah sorry that wasn't clear, I meant DC and NE are both terrible teams and we could easily beat either of them.

Dallas, Portland, and RSL would all be rough games, but anything can happen in a final. Especially if we host. I think Dallas is the only place that we could travel to and still have any hope of a good result.

Lets hope for a magical Carolina run, and then we won't have to worry about that.

19. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is too much! The Fire have a secret weapon - Mike Magee and his nuts.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Semis:
    Chicago hosts DC
    RSL hosts Portland

According to Crandall a while ago, the flip for the final will happen in July sometime, so we will know if we can host the final before we play our semifinal.

Home advantage will be huge, especially against those teams. Having to travel to Seattle really hampered our chances last time around. Lets hope the luck is with us

goldclover and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  21. footballcat

footballcat New Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to say I'm pleased with the front office staff. I called ticket services to exchange my tickets from the postponed Cbus game for the Open Cup match against DC in August, and I was able to do so with no problems.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, the Open Cup is one of the things (Some would like to argue few/only) that ownership has done right at least this year.

This year, there were no bidding against each other, there was a minimum, so basically you must bid the minimum, if both teams bid then USSF flips a coin to get the host, so the only game this year we did not play at TP is because we lost the coin flip (Charlotte), the other games 1. the other team did not bid or 2. We did bid and/or won the coin flip.

chiladd repped this.
  23. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

snkscore repped this.
  24. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want to win this game so bad I can tatste it. It tastes like fresh mown grass and the blood of Ruiz.

goldclover repped this.
  25. danimal60914

danimal60914 Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Khitan General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

rooked, goldclover and bunge repped this.