Road to the 5th US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2012.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game. Perfect weather, $2 hot dogs, much larger crowd than I expected. I just have one question (no, not "who's the best?") Who was that team in red? And what have they done with the Fire?

OK, that was two questions. Sue me.

But seriously, I know C-bus didn't start their best team but for the most part we looked good and the result was truly earned. No lucky stealing a win here. We took it to them offensively, pressed for goals and Berry mostly removed Oduro from the game. I liked much of our forward ball movement on the outside. Even Alex looked a little more creative than usual. If only we could defend set pieces. Oh well, a win is a win.

All in all, a great day to be a Fire fan and heaven knows we've needed one for a while now.

2. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    everyone rep ratdog... his shrink mustve up'd his meds .In 15 years Ive never seen him this positive :whistling:

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In lieu of rep, please make checks payable to "MLSWORKS" to thank the league for getting us Mike Magee.

Rulas, chiladd and loonixxx repped this.
  4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Did they announce any kind of attendance number? It looked pretty sizable on the stream as well, given that it was postponed, and at noon on a thursday...

5. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2,006 in attendance.

6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? It looked bigger. Anyway, an entertaining game on a perfect day. Life is good.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I was delayed at work and didn't show up until the 55th minute, so they probably didn't count me. Make it 2,007. :D

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Let's stick with 2006. It was a good year for the USOC. ;)

loonixxx and Chris M. repped this.
  9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Almost the entire lower east side was filled. The middle of Section 8 and a few in Sector Latino.

Good crowd for a last minute game. Kudos for the FO for allowing a free game and for keeping everyone on one side. Got to sit in the expensive seats for the first time. They're worth it. Kudos to Section 8. Great cheers, especially "Whose the best" to an empty west side.

As for the match, we really should've scored more. Magee missed a few (one chipping the keeper that looked like it was going in). Nyarko seemed slowed. Anyone should've scored that goal, the feed was just that perfect from Rolfe.

Columbus had a few chances too. Our defense at times looked like that of the Blackhawks with Crawford sitting on his bum. We need a seasoned center back in there and it ain't Outofbounds Soumare.

My first time seeing Magee and if I'm Frank, I give him the captain's arm band. He's out there directing the team in a way I haven't seen since Nowak. Loved when he came to give some lip to the Columbus side when one of their player went down and then began to change his shoes.

Missed his goal and near goal as I was in line at the only open concession stand for 15 minutes. But at least it had beer.

Beer + Fire victory + glorious sunny day with my sons = Priceless.

10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so :mad: I couldn't be there in person. Absolutely perfect weather today. :cry:

11. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago
    Heres the highlights:

12. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this worked out great for me. I wasn't even going to attempt to go last night with the weather being what it was (and I would have basically had to drive along with the awful weather on it's way to Chicago). Today's weather was just perfect. I didn't expect to see that many people in attendance for a last-minute re-schedule in the middle of the weekday. Saw the announced attendance was 2006 (how did they come up with this number? was it tickets sold ahead of time?), but I would have guessed at least 3-5k in attendance today. Anyway, they didn't actually seem to be counting the people who passed through the gates, but maybe I just missed seeing it.

Magee has been great, but he seems to make a lot of good runs that just aren't seen or anticipated by some of his teammates. Rolfe was mostly invisible again, but that left-footed cross to Nyarko was absolutely perfect, so I'll give him a pass. Alex actually had a really solid game today. He seemed to be constantly involved in the attack.

I really wish this team knew how to defend set pieces.

13. RadioGonzo

RadioGonzo Member+

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee has scored in four consecutive games since joining the team, new FIRE record (Chaves three games in 2011).

15. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Think it was just Crandall making a funny, with 2006 being the last time we won the USOC.

bunge repped this.
  16. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLSsoccoer.com is picking Orlando City and dissing the Fire:

With their key contributors back and a comparatively kind draw – not to say facing the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park is a cakewalk, but it's not the most difficult quarterfinal assignment they could've picked up – one has to wonder if the Lions will make another statement of their MLS ambition by winning the Open Cup.

For some reason I am confident of the win, even with all of the SKC rejects they will have available for the match. Can't wait.

17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I. Can't. Wait.

18. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring it.

bunge repped this.
  19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Link?

20. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  21. MLSSSOCCER.COM PICKS ORLANDO CITY

Section 8 definitely needs to banner this one up for the match and bring the hate. It's a no lose proposition. If we win it shows just what stupid shits MLSSOCCER.com AND Orlando City are and if we lose it shows that with few exceptions our brain trust has assembled a mid level US second division roster.

bunge repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 3rd Division to be exact.

23. Whatever . . . .:rolleyes: All I know is aside from my discounted parking and reasonably priced Skydeck ticket I pay first division prices for everything else at Toyota Park and the non-season ticket holder pays big league prices for EVERYTHING. Defeat here is unacceptable.

bunge repped this.
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our next game isn't to July 3rd a whole week, no reason not to have our starting 11 play.....

Final four here we come, any news on who hosts the semifinals yet.....

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Colorado on the 19th (Wednesday), Columbus on the 22h (Saturday) then the Open Cup on the 26th (Wednesday).

I would not care if we send a back up team to Columbus, and personally would not care if we lose 5 - 0 as long as we rest out starters. And I will make the trip to Columbus regardless, Just my opinion.

bunge repped this.