The Rivelino87 Mundial 2013 thread: Galo v. the World [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Emperor Adriano, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Hang your head in shame Atlético Mineiro...my oh my...

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Changing the topic slightly, when was the last time CONMEBOL has sent a truly great team to the CWC / Intercontinental Cup ? Corinthians were competitive but not really inspiring. I think Internacional of 2005 were a good team but still they played defensively vs Barca. Sao Paulo wasn't impressive in 06 even though they won. Maybe Boca of 2003 ? Boca 2000 were definitely great. The last great Brazilian side I can think of is Tele's Sao Paulo from 92/93. That's a long time.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Probably Vasco in the late 90s to be honest if you are speaking from a talent standpoint.

Corinthians was in excellent form and had a good system in place. I'd say they were the best out of the recent Brazilian teams.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    True. Vasco were a very good team and should have beaten Real Madrid.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess your prediction of Cuca choking came a bit letter than you predicted ... but it did come !

7. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So IF Raja Casablanca beats Bayern Munich in the final, does the CWC loses it's credibility as a competitive tournament?

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea it would but it won't happen.

9. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As supporter in South American football not particularlly with Brazilian clubs. I still cheer for the clubs at the CWC, hoping that the Euro's don't laugh at our play.

For the second time in the row our beloved South Amercans have been eliminated by on paper an inferior team.

Maybe it's time to take out the knockout stage and just make two groups of four and then a final.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Corinthians won it last year and they won't make the competition any longer because the European teams don't care as it is plus in there the defense the schedule is jam packed. Bayern played Sunday then had to play Tuesday at the CWC, not really a recipe for good competition imo. Galo deserved the shame today and to be honest they were kind of lucky against olimpia maybe Mengao's portrayl of Cuca as a chokeartist is accurate.

11. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Olimpia did have a good run and I was favoring them over Mineiro as well, but that's football I suppose.

On different topic, I like how LDU play in the CWC against Manchester United a couple years back. I actually still believe they could of won Manchester United if they weren't so conservative.

jim82 repped this.
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess it technically was a choke, but it didn't come under the same circumstances that normally occurs. Usually he loses controls over his emotions and makes dumb decisions regarding tactics and players. Today, I felt like he (and the team to an extent) lacked focus at the task at hand.

This event reminded me a bit of what happened to Flamengo in the Libertadores when Joel Santana accepted the South Africa job. Reports leading up to today indicated that Cuca was gone after the Mundial and he'd be off to China. Flamengo beat America in Azteca 4-2 and managed to choke that advantage and lose 3-0 in Maracana. The announcement that Joel would accept the job came after the first leg. Both Joel and Cuca weren't entirely focus on their current jobs. Both teams had a reason to be confident -- Fla playing with an advantage and at home and Galo being the better team, the clear favorite.

The fact that Galo were able to finish 8th doesn't speak wonders about this year's edition of the Brasileirão. I wouldn't necessarily says there is a decline like celito indicated, but the Brasileirão had a down year. I don't believe that trend will continue going into next year.

The Santos side we were ashamed of for losing to Barca big finished the league in 7th place (above all other Paulistas). If you lost 3-4 points, you drop from 11th to 16th like Fla. Fla had a very poor first half and a solid decent half and that was good enough for 11th. A poor Corinthians side still finished in the top half. SPFC had a horrible first half and still managed to finish in the to half of the table.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #64 Mengão86, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    I didn't have an issue with it. I just found it funny that he wrote an article right away about it. How long did it take him to write about Corinthians v Chelsea?

Edit: LOL! Vickery wrote that article a few hours after the game and didn't write about Corinthians till they day after!

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL! R10 red carded!!:eek:

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    not funny mengao... he was actually playing well and the dude almost stomped on his nuts your cold these days lol.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would have kicked the chinese player on the ground as well. I don't blame Ronaldinho for that. Ridiculous.

Brazil winning the final in a way (Dante and Thiago Alcantara) :ROFLMAO:

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Real Madrid's first goal was an own goal. But its second was class.

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I watched the semifinal at work and the final and third place matches in Brazil. Neto, a former Corinthians player and a current anchorman on Band, was ruthless in his criticism of Atlético Mineiro.

In my view, Bernard's absence played a serious role, even thought the team hadn't been doing all that badly in the second half of the Brasileirāo. But I also do agree with other Brazilian sports analysts said: Galo played arrogantly against a team that had literally no thing to lose and literally everything to win. Once Raja sensed Galo wasn't an unbeatable side, they went all-out. The ease with which Bayern scored two early goals against Raja made me wonder how difficult the game would've been for Galo against Bayern.

I still think that Brazilian soccer has an excellent chance to win the Libertadores next year, but I hope that if that occurs, that the manager of this team is less Cuca and more Tite. Tim Vickery was correct in saying that Galo had none of Corinthians' compactness.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You got SPFC and Internacional mixed up re: 2005 and 2006.

You may be surprised but I think the 1999 Palmeiras was great. It won the Libertadores with flying colors, beating up Rio da Prata in Parque Antarctica, and coming back from behind to secure the PK shootout vs. Esportivo Cali. Against Manchester United, it created many chances, and missed several goals. It was on one lonely play, which saw a United player outrun Júnior Baiano, that United downed Palmeiras. It is because Palmeiras lost that the team isn't seen as great.

Let's remember that the leftovers of that team - decidedly weaker, in 2000 - eliminated a star-studded Corinthians and took Boca Juniors to PKs in a second consecutive Libertadores final. As a Sāo Paulo fan, I respect any team who plays back-to-back Libertadores finals. After Palmeiras, only Boca (2000-2001) and SPFC (2005-2006) did it.