the quintessential 2013 "do we REALLY need one of these" superdraft thread!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, kinda more like Stephenson than like Baca is how it is sounding.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you want to bet that we have another killer CB from Honduras (or elsewhere in Central America) in our cross-hairs and ready to sign? JD and Frank don't pick players randomly, or without a plan. They will address our CB needs, fear not.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

Beerking and QuietType repped this.
  3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true! Wasn't one of the Hondurans Bernardez was trying to get us a U-23 CB that plays on the national team?? I'm really hoping the FO is working on that and that's why we passed on DTG. That actually would make me happy.

Beerking repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think that deflected shot was actually a pass, though I can't tell for sure. If so, that would be an example of the high soccer IQ / playmaking ability that the scouts were raving about. There were two or three front-most attackers in play there, one near post, on the same side as he was, and one or two central or far post. He dribbled away from the goal, drawing defenders towards him and opening up space for the central / far post attackers, and then (if it was indeed a pass) found a way to thread the ball over to the central attacker for a relatively easy goal.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah guys, if we passed on Dylan Tucker-Ganges......twice. That means we just did not want. End of story. Plenty of other teams passed on him today.

This has the feelings of a good draft day and shoring up our options, i think we had a pretty good day at the office.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delgado is singled out for his passing, and "seeing things early" by one of the scouts, which doesnt sound like Khari.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the Khari part would be bigger body (though not nearly as big as Khari), and good long-range shot. Other part would be maybe lack of speed, though with Khari he may be faster than he looks with his long strides.

QuietType repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Delgado lacks speed, i reckon we brought him in to play the middle of the park as an alternative to Baca. This sounds like a massive Frank yallop draft crush a-la Beitashour. we practically sprinted to the podium to hand in our card. Frank likes this kid a ton.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It means we only wanted 1 CB and Muller was our top choice.

Delgado Im betting was written in ink before the draft. The plan was probably "pick a CB, trade one 2nd rounder, take Delgado in the second". We have a tendency to lock into guys in the second round who we love, and lock them up, even if there isnt much competition (Beitashour, Hustedt, Delgado).
    As for center backs, Muller has some qualities that I think may suit us better then Tucker-Gagnes. I wouldnt be suprised if there was a bit of discussion on who to take before we took our pick. But I doubt we were going to go into the season using 2 picks on CBs, I think we are going to add a more veteran CB presence, be it Harden or a foreign signing.

QuietType repped this.
  10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, yeah, I can see how he is inhabiting a space somewhere between the two. Though he may have an element to his game that neither has.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too... That was a sweeet pass. :alien:

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had played Khari at a-mid more consistently, and much more often, he may have developed his vision, and passing skills more. I don't think he'd ever have been great, and certainly not as good as Baca is, but he was more attack oriented, and did make some very cool passes from time to time. More minutes at the a-mid position would have helped. We messed up on that. That's on us, more than it is on Khari.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still say we try and grab Casey Townshend with either a 2014 pick or a supplimental pick from this year :p or something else like that while chivas is going through its ethnic cleansing of its squad.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. We tried him enough. He was too slow with the ball at his feet. This is Khari's fault, not the Quakes. When he tried to speed up his game later in the season, he ended up just giving the ball away...

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a player in his late 20's (Khari is now 31) is not going to suddenly develop touch and vision at that stage of their career.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Haven't really watched this guy play, but from the descriptions (fast, short, a bit stout, maniacal work rate, fan favorite), I was thinking "Q". But looks like he's a pretty good finisher too based on the few video clips I've seen. So could be an interesting player.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    closing the draft, id say we had a top 6 draft. I think Houston, LA, Colorado, Toronto, and New England also had good days at the office. Got some darn good value where we picked and positions we needed, and didnt have any throwaway picks like last year. Hopefully they can be valuable depth for our squad. Who knows, maybe Muller could push Hernendez?

sup. draft in 5 days time, hope we can find someone who can make the roster there as well. Theres some recognizable names still available; Bates, Bennett, Schoenle, Jose Gomez, Chris Thomas, and some others.

i do hope our academy/homegrowns start bearing fruit soon as well. watching other teams around the league locking up their own leaves me wanting too. Hopefully by 2015 we start seeing results, i really see 2014 as the last significant year of the superdraft for MLS. Homegrowns/academies the order of the day save for the top 5 from then