the quintessential 2013 "do we REALLY need one of these" superdraft thread!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Jun 25, 2012.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we need veterans not projects right now. this is our window to compete. Fucito can step in and contribute now. he will work hard for every minute. he won't whine about his place on the depth chart like convey and moreno.

he did well with seattle, not so well with portland (but everyone looked bad at portland last year).

we are going to have league, USOC, CCL, and we are going to be losing guys to WC qualifying and possibly gold cup in the summer.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Muller is a great choice for us and we're lucky given given our draft position to get him. I really don't mind if Ty Harden doesn't come though and we get a 4th CB based on the recommendations of Bernardez instead, that would be okay.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and lets not forget what Frank does with castoff forwards. you guys should know better by now.....he can turn Fucito into something very useful for us i think.

he may have looked at the big board in round 2 to address the forward position and didnt see anyone he thought could cut it at that level.

announcers saying some good left back talent available too.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle fans loved him for his work ethic and were sad to see him leave.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lots of "big" names falling on draft day, like always. still got Schoenle and DTG for you folks interested in double dipping. Still Ashton Bennett, Will Bates for you BPA types. still Nealis at left back.

keep in mind.....there are names at defender that have been picked ahead of DTG and Schoenle, theres a reason theyre falling if coaches have done their homework

Beerking repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We could select Schoenle, and then maybe a $10,000 gift certificate to In'N'Out in the 3rd round. It would be sort of a package deal :).

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexi vs. Borg is awesome tv.

QuietType and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also , maybe we should start looking at some good deals from Chivas USA from the.......unhispanic types......like Casey Townshend, and take advantage of their stupid.

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we draft Shoenle, I would expect that means Ty Harden isn't signing. I think there will still, surprisingly, be better options left when we draft.

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, DTG still on the board with on Montreal ahead of us.. But would management take him?

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose on the clock, DTG and Schoenle still on the board....... and the pick is......

Dan Delgato? not familiar. but the all too familiar San Diego.....

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL @ Portland trollcano-ing seattle taking Dylan Tucker Gagnes :D

QuietType repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so time for us to do homework, delgado is a midfielder, is he of the Baca mold? he looks like he scored a ton of goals.

edit" announcers-"possibly the number two playmaker of the draft" , im into that.

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WCC player of the year.

The fact that the FO didnt even discuss it, just turned the card in tells me that hes 100% their guy. Invited to the combine but was injured. I trust our FO on this.

OWN(yewu)ED and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What the scouts said about Delgado:

Left-footed creative midfield catalyst who some say is one-of-a-kind in the draft class of 2013.
    What Scouts Say: "Very, very gifted soccer player. Left-footed. Very technical and very intelligent ... No one like him style-wise in the SuperDraft. A unique type of player … Finds great spots to find the ball in an attacking position ... Very, very good passer of the ball ... He lacks speed and overall athelticism but he makes up for that in other ways because he's a very, very good soccer player ... Understands the game and his left foot is lethal ... He can score goals and he's pretty crafty ... He is a game-changer, he sees things early ... Very good at breaking pressure ... He was San Diego's catalyst during NCAA run, setting up chances and dictating the rhythm of the game ... No one was able to stop him ... He's also got a work rate to his game and transitions well, but if he's up against someone with speed, he'll struggle ... If a team is patient and puts a premium on possession, he'll fit in really, really well … May need time to adjust to MLS similar to Rafael Baca in San Jose ... Similar to Eric Avila and can be compared to a left-footed Mauro Rosales."

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a lost opportunity... Ugh... We draft another MF along the lines of Baca/Ampai, and lose out on a big CB to shore up our defense. DTG fell all the way down! And now Portland benefits..... :(

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very happy with the Muller pick - looks solid and safe. Ives had him going 13th, and had this to say:

Polished centerback with good size and and an ability to read the game well, Muller is the leader of the Hoyas defense and has the kind of poise that pro scouts love seeing in a central defender. Impressed in the NCAA Tournament, vaulting himself into the first-round range, and now some teams see him as the best senior centerback available.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Delgado had 3 assists in USD's big 5-2 upset of UCLA in the college cup. Not sure if he can do the type of stuff Baca can but he is a quality player.

21. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say he is quite Baca/Ampai type. At 5'11" 175, if he has balance he will be tough to move off the ball and supposedly has a rocket of a left foot, which could give us some long range shooting threat.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and theres your 2013 MLS super draft. still some names out there like Ashton Bennett, Will Bates, Eric Schoenle in particular. i dont think theyll be there when we pick in the supplimental draft, but we got a defender, a forward, and a central midfielder in the draft. We got what we came here for, im not royally pissed like last years draft (cant end on a more sour note than Chris Blais i guess :D )

23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dylan Tucker Gangnes is a very weird fit for Portland. Remember, UW is the stoke city of NCAA ball. He is used to a very opposite style of what Porter likes.

Size helps but it isn't everything. Portland took the big athletic beast guy in Jean Baptiste last year when they would have done better to go with a more polished player like Berry or Hedges.

24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, sounds like quite a different player than Baca. Significantly bigger, apparently has a good shot, and is apparently not fast. I don't know that I'd call Baca fast but he is very quick in short movements, and that's part of what makes him effective. If Baca is like a "worker bee", this guy seems to more like a scorpion - can sting you with a killer pass or shot.